NEDD Advice, Rough running , missing, backfiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > NEDD Advice, Rough running , missing, backfiring?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
jmacn31
1994 ZJ 

NEDD Advice, Rough running , missing, backfiring?

Ok fellow Jeep Heads, I have an 94 ZJ 4 door, 4.0L automatic, 2WD. The last 2 nights on my drive home from work, when I get stuck in traffic my ZJ starts to idle rough, act like it is starving or wants to stall, backfires(?- making a popping sound), and when I check the codes via the keyswitch method I get code 12, 41, and then 55 (the end code). Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the ONLY means" ~Albert Einstein
jmacn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
eshew
1993 ZJ 

For the codes: http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Give us some info on teh Jeep, when was the last time you did a tune up? spark plugs and whatever, did you recently top off your tank before this happened? Bad gas, perhaps call the station where you filled up last just to make sure...WE NEED MORE INFO!
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
jmacn31
1994 ZJ 

OOPS!

Ok, tune up was done about 4K miles ago, I have about 1/2 a tank of gas from filling a week ago, have recently had the fuel pump replasced by a mechanic that took 3 tries to get right (after the 1st try the gas gauge would only read 3/4 full when topped off, after the 2nd try the gas gauge would only read 1/8 when topped off). My wife drove the Jeep today all day around town without incident. Last night in about 45 minutes of heavy (5-10 mph) traffic it would start to stutter and misfire whenever the trafic sped up enpough to require me to actually push on the accelerator pedal. Once I got over about 45 mph the problem seemed to go away. It never actually stalled but it was so rough that for awhile I thought I had jumped time... what other info do you need..btw, I really appreciate the assistance!

"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the ONLY means" ~Albert Einstein
jmacn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
JCZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshew View Post
WE NEDD MORE INFO!
Fixed it for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
She can XJ my WJ whenever and however she wants. Hell, I'd let her CJ it, too.
JCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.