N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #121
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

liking the bumper man. looks like ya'll had some fun wheeling. I wish I had a welder haha.

Unread 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #122
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Well here we are again. Was pulling out of my parking spot ready to go home. Wubwubwub THUD.

Attachment 625973

I am 30009% done with this power steering crap.

Put the shorter belt on, drove home without power steering, again. Put air in the niners tires so I can use it to get to work tomorrow.
What polka said yo.

Your problem is spelled out on the front of that pully in 5 big capital letters

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #123
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

A minor miracle occurred, I was posessed by some spirit to clean the ****ing garage. You can almost fit an integra in that space, damn. I'm threatening a motorcycle lift, and well, something to go on it.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg

On to the real fun, grabbed a new (reman) power steering pump and all new hoses, and yet another chinois pulley.
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

The old one had seen better days, I keep saying I'm gonna get the engine bay steam cleaned, but other things keep taking my $$$.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Comparison.
jeep-build-1-5.jpg

Only on my second pump bracket, though the first one died in spades. If it goes again I'm gonna have our machinist make me a better one.
jeep-build-1-4.jpg

Mounted up fine, flushed some fluid through the box and tightened things up. DAMN, thats an impressive difference. Suddenly I can turn the wheel. I probably should have done that when I blew the first pulley, the pump must have been seizing all this time and that was causing the pulleys to be ejected.

Got some new shiny in from superbrightleds.com a pair of these, and some interior lights. Grabbed some scrap 3/16 and welded tabs to the front bumper.
jeep-build-1-6.jpg

Mounts up nice.
jeep-build-1-7.jpg

Connected to the factory foglight harness with the connectors off the factory fogs I smashed on the rocks. Because these modules have a full controller in them they do not change brightness with voltage, as the voltage drops they just draw more current to keep things going, then flick off. It's a little weird at first. They're brighter than the factory headlight IMO, makes me really want to do e-codes and harness on this thing.
jeep-build-1-8.jpg

Finally stripped the back end apart for damage assessment from the crash.
jeep-build-1-9.jpg

Tow hitch is undamaged except the electrics box, haven't decided if I care. The skid was bent up quite a bit.
jeep-build-1-10.jpg

Beat the skidplate into shape with the BFH good as new, went down to the JY and grabbed a new rear bumper x-member thing, and new brackets. The plastic cover is ok, haven't found a step guard thing in good condition, really needs it.

Running without the hitchplate, but the skid and bumpers are there. I'm on the fence on the hitchplate, I need to do something about rear recovery and now that I've opened the bumper up and seen how flimsy the aluminum x-member thing is, I'm thinking more about a real steel bumper.

Wheeling again late july, I've got time, but I've got a niner sucking funds and a "new" DD that hopefully will keep my gas costs down a bit.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #124
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Oooo!! A Garage! I need one of those to do some Serious work on my ZJ. Course, IF I still had a garage, then I'd be doing a Tranny swap myself.. be that a good or bad thing.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #125
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh sometime soon I'm gonna end up parking the integra in there for a week while I do the clutch and flywheel and maybe most of the gaskets in the engine.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #126
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Finally joined the A-pillar light club.

jeep-build-3-1.jpg

Little led's are way brighter than I thought they would be, mounts were easy to make. Now I just need to clean up the wiring.

jeep-build-3-2.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #127
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Was using the jeep at work today and I noticed the passenger lower front CA is bent, damn. Not a surprise the way I wheel, but annoying. Is there any way to strengthen the stock CA's? I don't want to get better short arms just to toss them for long arms in the winter.

Plan of attack for mods:

Before the next wheeling trip (July 20th):
  • New lower front CA
  • Rock slides (3x3 box tube under the rockers)
  • T-case skid (3/16 plate)
  • Rear bumper if I find a design I like
  • Fix up lights
  • Replace the antenna mount bracket
  • Rear recovery point

Then:
  • HP30 w/ Artec truss
  • Lunch the back
  • IRO Long arms
  • 4.5" springs
  • Fender trim or flares
  • 33's or 35's
  • XRC8 w/ synthetic rope

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #128
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Just get a decent one from the junkyard.

Otherwise you'd just be wasting your time trying to strengthen the stock ones.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #129
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh I figured, I'll grab one off rock auto, I don't want to play swap the bushing and they're cheap.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #130
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They make control arm skids to bolt or weld on. What I would do is get some scrap C channel and cut it at an angle then weld it on. It will stiffen it up and protect the arm. I did that on my last ZJ after I ripped a lower mount off. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12529_200.htm
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #131
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Was using the jeep at work today and I noticed the passenger lower front CA is bent, damn. Not a surprise the way I wheel, but annoying. Is there any way to strengthen the stock CA's? I don't want to get better short arms just to toss them for long arms in the winter.
We make a factory replacement that's 1/4" and has an integrated skid plate.
http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-...air_p_372.html

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #132
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's not the bracket as far as I can tell, it's the ****ty stamped metal arm that I set down on. New one ordered and I'm gonna start looking for an hp30 to truss and build to prepared for LA's.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #133
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Would you get a night shot of the pillar mounted led's for us please?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #134
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I will, I need to do a comparison of the factory fogs, led fogs, e codes, us heads, and a pillar LEDs. Haven't got the wiring on the a pillars cleaned up yet though.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #135
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Oh wow, I haven't updated this in a while. Much to say, we'll start at the beginning.

Finally pulled that control arm that was bent. Really bent. Here it is next to my new one from 1aauto.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

Which would have been great if the new one fit. The frame side bushing was too small on the new one they sent me, the frame mount wasn't going to flex enough to torque down on it and me be happy. So I went out to o'reily's and got an arm from them. Same problem. The arms from o'reily's and 1a are symetrical, same bushing width on both ends, the one I bent is wider on the frame side. The weird part: the arm that I bent was purchased from 1a in january when I was rebuilding the front end. I pulled the (maybe stock) arm off the niner to compare.

Here's a comparison shot, from left to right: niner, o'reily, 1a, bent.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Frame side is up on that picture, you can see a slight difference in the bushing. I ended up putting the bent one on the niner and the niner one on the green jeep since the niner doesn't have a lift or get wheeled.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a variation in the model years that 96+ had a wider frame side mount? Where can I get a new arm?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.