N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #106
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, some good deals around on cl, just not for the coin I have right now. The niner is getting ac fixed, which is looking like new hoses and accumulator. With that, gas down to LA, and gas for wheeling on the 4th I'm looking at having a hard time affording a cheeseburger on sunday much less a new saw.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #107
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
I hit the nuts that were factory welded for the radiator support and popped them off, well I only had to hit the front, the back ones had both come off.

The radiator vertical bolts and the lower side bolts are where my tube will be bolted in, the tube will have nuts welded inside it. Since I have the KOR radiator support there will be 1/4 of steel on both sides of the frame rail sandwiching it together for the mount. Not gonna go anywhere.

Finally put this where it belongs.

Cutting 1/4 wall tube with only a grinder and a sawzall isn't fun, but it works, I think I got things reasonably square.

Mocking the frame mounts. The tube extends 9" into the frame rail (the depth at which the sway bar nut prevents it from going further) and is 7" out from the x-member to support a winch (standard depth seems to be 7").

Mocked and squared the new x-member. About to tack it in this picture.

And pulled to run beads. My welds aren't the best, but once I got it dialed in it wasn't that bad.
I like your plants. Lol
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #108
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Been putting in 4-6 hours on jeep fab after my 8 hour real job, so I ain't had a lot of time to update this.

It's coming along though, here's a teaser pic.
jeep-build-9-.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #109
pauper
1998 ZJ 

"Sometimes I get the feeling that they're watching, and they're laughing at me."

They are grinning in anticipation....
pauper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #110
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Been putting in 4-6 hours on jeep fab after my 8 hour real job, so I ain't had a lot of time to update this.

It's coming along though, here's a teaser pic.
Very nice.
I'm getting started soon. Gonna be very similar
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #111
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got some advice from my grandfather and uncle. And added a new tool to the arsenal courtesy of my uncle. Got building and figured out a reasonable jig for cutting miters.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg

Uses a pipe clamp and a normal c clamp to hold the pipe steady so I can cut it with the sawzall.
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

Cuts ok.
jeep-build-1-4.jpg

Miters weld up nice.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Mocking up the upper bar. I need more clamps!
jeep-build-1-5.jpg

Both sides tacked in.
jeep-build-1-6.jpg

I measured and made some guesses at the angle by comparing what I could measure in the real world and what my digital drawings said, then cut the miters on the jeep with the grinder and sawzall. Welded together and it looks pretty good.
jeep-build-1-7.jpg

Random grinding shot.
jeep-build-1-8.jpg

Relocated the horns to between the header panel and the crossmember. Mainly so they weren't in the way trying to get the bumper on and off.
jeep-build-1-9.jpg
jeep-build-1-10.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #112
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The lower section was a lot of guess and check to get things to fit right. I was down to the wire trying to get the bumper ready for wheeling that weekend.

jeep-build-2-1.jpg
jeep-build-2-2.jpg
jeep-build-2-3.jpg

Turned out pretty good, I didn't get a chance to plate it like I want before wheeling. I was doing final welds at 10pm the night before. Hit it with the remains of a rattle can (almost had enough for the whole bumper) and it was off to south cow.

jeep-build-2-8.jpg
I was the only grand there, mostly tj's and jk's. Other notable attendees are the xj in the picture, the scrambler between the xj and me and a pair of broncos.

One of the broncos didn't think I (and the other non locked jeep) could get up the side of a ditch. He tried to coach his driver around the side of it but was a bit too wide and slipped off the edge, onto the drivers side, onto his roof, and came to rest on the passenger side.
jeep-build-2-4.jpg

Ooops.

Driver was fine, dragged all his gear out of the creek, then got to winching.
jeep-build-2-6.jpg

Beautiful day for a recovery.
jeep-build-2-5.jpg

I stayed out of the way, my recovery fu was the lowest in the group. Took two winches to get him out, but get him out we did.
jeep-build-2-7.jpg

And I didn't need no stinking winch to get out of that ditch. Thats what the skinny pedal is for!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #113
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Heres a picture of a happy ZJ, just back from wheeling. Bumper looks and works great! I was nose down through a few ditches and was not worried on bit about not being protected.
jeep-build-3-1.jpg

The only problem I had was with this.
jeep-build-3-2.jpg

My 96 didn't come with skids other than gas tank. I had a stock front until I did the tube bumper but I never had a chance to grab a jy tcase skid.

Glad I didn't, I pulled this one off my niner (not gonna need it in 2wd). Put it up to the green on and the holes line up, but theres no captive nuts in the frame! Bugger. Guess I need to fab something.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #114
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Crunch!

That ******* named Murhpy has got it out for me.

In case you were wondering, this is what it looks like when a honda odyssey uses a toyota corolla as a crumple zone into the back of a ZJ.
img_3490.jpg

I was stopped behind some fool trying to turn left, the toyota stopped behind me just fine. The odyssey behind them smashed into the corolla and pushed it into my hitch plate.

Which went right through their radiator. The going speculation is that if I still had the ball hitch antenna mount it would have been in their engine block.

Which at least would have been fun to watch.

On to some jeep carnage.

Major areas in this one, antenna mount, ****ty plastic bumper thing, and the electrical box for the hitch.
jeep-build-3-7.jpg

Whole back end, leaning.
jeep-build-3-8.jpg

Electrical box close ups, when the box hit the gas tank skid it bent the skid plate!
jeep-build-3-11.jpg
jeep-build-3-6.jpg

Need a new hitch pin, I can't tell if the hitch itself is bent, looks like though.
jeep-build-3-5.jpg

Dent in the rear hatch from the antenna.
jeep-build-3-10.jpg

Antenna mount is borked, bent right where the reinforcement ends.
jeep-build-3-3.jpg

And bent my ****ING ANTENNA. THATS THE THIRD ONE I'VE HAD KILLED.
jeep-build-3-9.jpg

Not a happy bumper.
jeep-build-3-4.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #115
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Time to build a rear bumper now?
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #116
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Well here we are again. Was pulling out of my parking spot ready to go home. Wubwubwub THUD.

jeep-build-3.jpg

I am 30009% done with this power steering crap.

Put the shorter belt on, drove home without power steering, again. Put air in the niners tires so I can use it to get to work tomorrow.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #117
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Don't buy Chinese parts Both of mine were made in Canada. First one lasted to around 130k miles and I pulled it off before it broke into pieces to put the new one on.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #118
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

There must be something wrong with the pump, I burned the skin off a knuckle putting the shorter belt on cause I bumped the pump shaft.

I feel the steering acting up before it goes. And 2/4 pulley ejections in the last year involved being in or recently in a dusty area.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #119
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So you think the pump is seizing up and breaking the pulley?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #120
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Thats the only thing I can think of. Steering box is new but the pump is a few years old. The pulleys aren't just dying, they tend to be spat out with force.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.