N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #91
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

This is old, but I didn't post it. Replaced the wheel hubs in the front because one was shaking.
jeep-build-2-2.jpg

And found out my mechanic had done this.
jeep-build-2-1.jpg

Those brake pads are on the wrong side of the jeep.

So new brake pads on the front, maybe that will fix the squealing I was getting on the dusty trails.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #92
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Alright, bumper time, finally.

Got me some of this.
jeep-build-3-1.jpg

2x3 1/4 wall tubing to go in the frame rails, and a 4x4 1/4 angle for a new front x-member and part of the winch plate.

Broke out the sawzall and opened up the front of the rails.
jeep-build-3-2.jpg

My jeep has a fair bit of front end damage, so in addition to the x-member being bent the frame rails are a little squashed.
jeep-build-3-3.jpg

And won't fit the tube.
jeep-build-3-4.jpg

So, grab a smaller pipe.
jeep-build-3-5.jpg

Bash it in.
jeep-build-3-6.jpg

And use it as a lever to straighten out the rails.
jeep-build-3-7.jpg

Grab a slightly larger pipe.
jeep-build-3-8.jpg

And continue the persuasion process until the tube fits.
jeep-build-3-9.jpg

All better.
jeep-build-3-10.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #93
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I hit the nuts that were factory welded for the radiator support and popped them off, well I only had to hit the front, the back ones had both come off.
jeep-build-4-1.jpg

The radiator vertical bolts and the lower side bolts are where my tube will be bolted in, the tube will have nuts welded inside it. Since I have the KOR radiator support there will be 1/4 of steel on both sides of the frame rail sandwiching it together for the mount. Not gonna go anywhere.

Finally put this where it belongs.
jeep-build-4-2.jpg

Cutting 1/4 wall tube with only a grinder and a sawzall isn't fun, but it works, I think I got things reasonably square.
jeep-build-4-3.jpg

Mocking the frame mounts. The tube extends 9" into the frame rail (the depth at which the sway bar nut prevents it from going further) and is 7" out from the x-member to support a winch (standard depth seems to be 7").
jeep-build-4-4.jpg

Mocked and squared the new x-member. About to tack it in this picture.
jeep-build-4-5.jpg

And pulled to run beads. My welds aren't the best, but once I got it dialed in it wasn't that bad.
jeep-build-4-6.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #94
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Marked out the lower holes for the frame rail mounts. Scribed with a center punch because it was what I had handy.
jeep-build-5-0.jpg

Here's with the bolts installed to check the threads. I had to break off and adjust one of the nuts when I test fit, but everything else worked. Welded the nuts solid to the tube.
jeep-build-5-5.jpg

Then I tried to move on to the tube part of my tube bumper (well pipe technically)

Got out this to see if it would bend my 1.5" schedule 40 pipe to a 90.
jeep-build-5-3.jpg

Nope.
jeep-build-5-2.jpg

I tried a couple other things but I noticed that after one bend the die had been deformed and wasn't going to give me anything useful. So I gave up and decided to try mitering and welding the pipe.

I'm using a metal cutting blade on my (wood) chopsaw to cut miters.
jeep-build-5-1.jpg

I got about 80% through the first cut before the bearings on the saw started grinding. Bugger. Gave up for the evening, need a new plan.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #95
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Its gettin there man. Cutting metal took its toll on your poor saw from the sounds of it. Its tough cutting good lines with a sawzall but that may be your best option with the tools you have. I (luckily) had a band saw. Whats that welder? 220?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #96
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Its a 110 lincoln 140 mig. My entire garage is on one 20A circuit, lights, stereo, tools, beer fridge, everything. So I run a cable from an unused circuit in the laundry room.

I think I'm gonna end up with making some marking jigs and using the sawzall. Probably going to modify the design a bit though before I do that.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #97
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Crank up the heat. Really burn that **** in there

Build thread^^
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #98
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I've hit the duty cycle limits a couple of times already. Full power and slow feed.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #99
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Antenna relocation

As part of prep for wheeling on the 4th I decided it was high time I removed the post hole digging attachment.
jeep-build-6-8.jpg

The hitch is a bit low, so on rough terrain I'm dragging it into the dirt and leaving ditches. Wonderful mount for street and dirt roads, what we originally bought it for. I also don't like the nice centered spike when I'm unloading my sound ****. I'm worried I'm going to put it through a road case.

Beefy mount though, went right through the radiator of the last ***** that rear ended the thing.

Anyway, grabbed some 2" angle 1/8 thick, gonna mount it using the bolts that hold the hitch and gas tank skid in, plenty of threads for more plate.
jeep-build-6-6.jpg

Close up of the bolt plate, piece of scrap from one of the notched joints.
jeep-build-6-7.jpg

Mounted it up and stood on it, supported my weight, but had a bit more flex than I wanted. I want the spring to flex, not the mount.

Reinforced with some scrap then hung it up for paint. Propane torch to heat it up a bit and then some flat black rattle can.
jeep-build-6-5.jpg

Finished product.
jeep-build-6-4.jpg

And some mounted pics.

jeep-build-6-3.jpg
jeep-build-6-2.jpg
jeep-build-6-1.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #100
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
As part of prep for wheeling on the 4th I decided it was high time I removed the post hole digging attachment.
Attachment 614082

The hitch is a bit low, so on rough terrain I'm dragging it into the dirt and leaving ditches. Wonderful mount for street and dirt roads, what we originally bought it for. I also don't like the nice centered spike when I'm unloading my sound ****. I'm worried I'm going to put it through a road case.

Beefy mount though, went right through the radiator of the last ***** that rear ended the thing.

Anyway, grabbed some 2" angle 1/8 thick, gonna mount it using the bolts that hold the hitch and gas tank skid in, plenty of threads for more plate.
Attachment 614080

Close up of the bolt plate, piece of scrap from one of the notched joints.
Attachment 614081

Mounted it up and stood on it, supported my weight, but had a bit more flex than I wanted. I want the spring to flex, not the mount.

Reinforced with some scrap then hung it up for paint. Propane torch to heat it up a bit and then some flat black rattle can.
Attachment 614079

Finished product.
Attachment 614078

And some mounted pics.

Attachment 614077
Attachment 614076
Attachment 614075

How does the hatch open? Just bend it out of the way?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #101
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Theres a quick release on top of the spring, you can see in the first picture. Pop the antenna off and the hatch clears the spring.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #102
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

So I redesigned my bumper swapping bends for miters and cleaned it up a bit incorporating the winch mount.

jeepbumper2-.jpg
jeepbumper2-b.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to miter the pipe.

The wood cutting chop saw is down, and $200 on a metal chop isn't in the budget before the next wheeling trip. Freehanding it isn't gonna work, must be a better way.

I searched around and found this: http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

It's designed for creating cope templates but if you set the offset to higher than the diameter (diameter 2) of the second pipe (like double) it will give you the template for a miter.

Cut out the edges (not the miter edge) I use a little super 77 adhesive to tack it on the pipe.
jeep-build-7-1.jpg

I tried using the sawzall to rough cut and grind it, tried using a cutting disk on the grinder. No dice. I just don't have a steady enough hand with the grinder to get good enough results. And the sawzall almost does more harm than good.
jeep-build-7-2.jpg

I think this would be a fine method if I had a bandsaw, or a lot more patience, but I don't.

So since we're trying stupid tricks, lets try the metal blade on the table saw.
jeep-build-7-3.jpg

Now to be clear, my table saw is not you're average table saw. It's a shopsmith Mark V tool. It's designed to be used as a lathe in addition to a table saw, drillpress, and disc sander, so it has a better built head bearing than your average table saw. And the most important part, it has a CV transmission that lets me adjust speed on the fly.

I did a test at around 3k rpm, which is a little slow, but things were looking good. I'll crank it all the way later and see if it works out.

Sometimes I get the feeling that they're watching, and they're laughing at me.
jeep-build-7-4.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #103
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

See if there is a band saw for sale on cl?

Build thread^^
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #104
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I may be able to knick a porta band out of my grandfathers shop when I'm down in LA this weekend. My uncle is a pipe fitter and my grandfather was a welder/foreman all his life so they'll have some input.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #105
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Or get a heavy duty chop saw. We have one with an abrasive blade and it would cut that tube all day. Itd be cheaper and smaller than a band saw too. Those abrasive blades are cheaper than a metal one with the carbide teeth and ****. Look into it. Pawn shop?

Build thread^^

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.