N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #76
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Saturday I finally got to play a little with the jeep during the day.

Disco'd the sway bar because I though I was going to get to install my jks discos, oh well. Still got to see what it can do disco'd.

jeep-build-6-1.jpg
jeep-build-6-2.jpg

With the swaybar connected the rear driver side tire would be off the ground in that second picture.

Not a great side by side, but better than nothing, I'll take them down the street to some level ground some day for a real comparison shot.

jeep-build-6-3.jpg

Pulled back into the garage and my GF goes "whats the pink stuff thats leaking?"

What...

jeep-build-6-5.jpg

Not cool, did I not connect a power steering hose all the way? No, hoses aren't leaking, pump isn't leaking.
jeep-build-6-4.jpg

The new steering box is leaking, wonderful.

After that discovery I had to go to work, worked all day sunday as well.

Monday morning, got in touch with kolak about the disco mix up, sent me a label to ship them back and got the correct ones headed my way. Wonderful guy, totally happy with his service.

Monday night I had a chance to pull the pump, once again there seems to be something missing here.

jeep-build-6-7.jpg

Gonna take it back to o'reillys later today. Kolak says discos will be here before the end of the week. Hopefully wheelin on saturday.

Not letting these little ****s slow me down,
jeep-build-6-8.jpg

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #77
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Wheeled the snot out of the ZJ at Hollister today. Found some guys who were certifiable and rather lax in their definition of the word trail. Really don't have the right tires on the thing, traction on loose dirt was my biggest problem, airing down in one place I got stuck helped a lot. Didn't get many pictures because I had no co-pilot and we were running hard and fast through the trails. At one point I was almost completely on my side in a rut, stayed cool and ran with it, powered through. A bunch of places I was having an easy time that built tj's and xj's couldn't do because they didn't have the power.

I tried really hard to break the jeep, like really tried, I don't know what I did wrong, I didn't even snap the front cv driveshaft discoed.

Things I need to work on:
T-case skid, wasn't a problem but it was nagging the back of my head, gonna steal it off the niner
Sliders, eventually
Real tires, but they cost real money, probably treadwrights
Change the rear antenna hitch mount, I was digging holes with the hitch all day
Wheel spacers, I was rubbing a bit after I aired down and real AT's will be worse.

On to some pics:

Before the carnage.
jeep-build-8-1.jpg

Followed this thing around, dude was awesome.
jeep-build-8-2.jpg

On morning trail.
jeep-build-8-3.jpg

Top of the ridge, there were a lot of jeeps!
jeep-build-8-5.jpg

Mine,
jeep-build-8-6.jpg

Pretty,
jeep-build-8-4.jpg

Fun in the obstacle course
jeep-build-8-7.jpg
jeep-build-8-8.jpg

Diggin holes,
jeep-build-8-9.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #78
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Ok, so this is out of order but I didn't get a chance to post it before I went and wheeled, and well, wheeling pics are way more interesting than this crap.

The night before I went wheeling I finally got the jeep prepped. Finally got the HF radio back into the jeep and did some rewiring in the back to support future things. Kolak had discos to me with a day to spare and they went on without a problem.

Heres what was left of the hf radio wiring, it hasn't been installed in almost 2 years because it has emitted smoke on field day (radio contest) and we don't take the jeep up to our field day site.
jeep-build-7-1.jpg

Unlike the smaller 2m/440 radio that only draws 15 amps complete maximum, the HF rig draws too much power to run off the cigarette switched outlet. The original install steals power from the infinity amp, which is on an always on circuit. The radio draws almost 2 amps on receive and over 20 on transmit. So it needs some form of switching to turn it off when the engine isn't running. This is done with a solid state relay (blue cube thing) using the cigarette circuit to trigger. The power line runs up in the interior panel to the window where everything is mounted. The trigger line runs under the rear seat to the switched distro. At some point soon I will run some 8 gauge from the battery back to the rear power distribution panel and all the electronics will run off that, both radios and the subwoofer. Then the cigarette circuit will only be used for triggering the SSRs. Currently the voltage drop through the factory wiring is about a volt and a half to the rear distro.

Since I will want to be able to have the radio on while the engine is stopped I have bypass switches installed in the overhead console forward of the MPG/Compass/DTE display. I just butchered an ethernet cable and a jack that I had lying around, these are just trigger switches so no real current passes through them. Heres the inside of the panel with the wiring, I'm using automotive accessory switches that light up (barely) when on which is why the wiring is a bit odd. I've got it marked to add two more when I need them for aux lights. The black wire stealing power from the display module powers the radar detector that has been installed in the thing since the beginning, my father and I both drive like lead foot teenagers.
jeep-build-7-2.jpg

And here it is from the other side.
jeep-build-7-3.jpg

New rear distribution.
jeep-build-7-4.jpg

I'm using a rigrunner 4005 as the distribution panel http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...s_id=rr_4005_c. Everything I have installed uses powerpole connectors. Power comes up by the window and goes to the 40A fused input of the distro. One of the 25A circuits feeds the HF radio (IC-7000) through the SSR (white cube). The bypass switches are fed off a 1A circuit (later moved to 5A for testing). The SGC smart antenna tuner (grey box left) gets power from the radio, though that may change. Antenna connection from the tuner isn't shown in this picture, but right now it just snakes out the back door to the spring base. 2m/440 antenna lines go up the C pillar and run in the headliner to the mounts drilled through the roof.

Driver seat view.
jeep-build-7-5.jpg

The pretty color display is the IC-700 for HF, the other is the IC-2720 for 2m/440. Mic cables plug into the control heads, though I may change that, I have the option to use the connector on the radio base. Almost visible are the two blue bypass switches and the radar detector.

And it all works great!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #79
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Wheeled the snot out of the ZJ at Hollister today.
Small world. I was down in Hollister last Saturday too, in a ZJ exactly like yours except stock.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #80
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Going through pictures, found a few shot of the jks disco installed.

The low radiator hose can be a righteous pain for such a simple job. There was no way the stock links were coming out in place. So I pulled the swaybar out to get a good swing with the BFH.

I found that if you slide it all the way passenger side while still entangled in the hose you can put it on a jack stand and beat the link out (took three swings once I got there)
jeep-build-9a-1.jpg

With the passenger side link out it is much easier to maneuver the swaybar out of the jeep.

And then take a BFH to the other link.
jeep-build-9a-2.jpg

Bamn, discos installed.
jeep-build-9a-3.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #81
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Minimal carnage

Here are the damage shots from hollister.

Only real damage I've found other than pinstripes is this bash to the front crossmember.
jeep-build-9-1.jpg

After I got stuck but managed to get out with only coaching no winching I decided it was finally time to make this thing jeepforum approved.
jeep-build-9-3.jpg

It was great finally taking the jeep offroad.
jeep-build-9-2.jpg

This thing not so much.
jeep-build-9-4.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #82
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

SOMETHING is clunking in the front end. Not so much with steering, but any bump and I get clunk and steering wheel bounce. I've checked what I can on the ground, maybe get it up in the air a little to check the rest, but so far I have no clue.

I'm guessing I tweaked something at hollister, but I don't know how.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #83
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Check the track bar and triple check the steering gear and see if the frame where it bolts up has a tear in it. Sometimes you will have to loosen it up to see. It's a weak spot.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #84
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I check the track bar and tightened the jam nut on the adjustable part. Torqued down the steering box to the frame, probably order a KOR steering brace.

And I found this.
jeep-build-1.jpg

So I'm grabbing nuts and threadlocker tomorrow. While I had the passenger wheel in the air I discovered it has a very slight shake to it, possibly another ****ing wheel hub. Fortunately I've gotten rather good at wheel hubs. Do I need to replace both the hubs? I think this one is dying of old age, possibly original to the vehicle. I'll probably do pads at the same time, see if they squeal less when dusty.

Stole a nut from the niner since the GF needs the green jeep tomorrow. No more creaking or strange feelings. Almost an easy fix.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #85
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I AM ****ING OVER THIS BOLT ON ****.

So I bought one of these.
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

And started practicing some welding on these.
jeep-build-1-4.jpg
jeep-build-1-5.jpg

My welds aren't as bad as I thought they would be, the mig is a huge difference from grandfathers stick welder that I learned on.

I'm drawing up designs for a bumper, after I kissed the tree with the front crossmember and barely escaped with my headlight intact.

Picked up a new one of these, after I broke the harbor fright one tightening the steering box.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg

And a shot of the pile o **** no longer belongs on my jeeps. Nobody will fess up to the planting of the coils. Maybe they'll grow into some 6" coils.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #86
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

On one of my part runs stocky pulled up next to me, very clean exterior but no radio!

image-3249933315.jpg

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #87
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Drew this up at work today, I'm liking the look.
image-2487895003.jpg

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #88
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Very nice design! But don't you think the skid might constrict the radiator a bit much and cause some heating issues? Also, how far would it stick out? I imagine the open portion is for a winch.
GCjunkie93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #89
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The skid will be slotted to allow the radiator to breath, just a quick sketch. Not sure how far it will stick out, I'm still debating on mount points and if I'm going to set it up for a winch.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #90
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Beginning a 3d model, it's looking like it will be 1.5" pipe, which is close to a 2" OD.

jeepbumper.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.