N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #61
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I need a cv shaft for my stock niner at least. CV should be fine for only 2.5" of lift, overall they're a better joint and less vibration than u joints.

I'm at 2.5 in the front and 2 in the back, not really worried about it, it rides great. I think the isolators on the back are beat up, so thats probably worth something. I'll get a picture next to the stock niner whenever I'm home and there's light out.

jetjr: that'd be great if you could grab one, I'd like to get this thing back to 4wd, the handling in 2wd sucks. PM me to work out swapping $ for goodies.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #62
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I need a cv shaft for my stock niner at least. CV should be fine for only 2.5" of lift, overall they're a better joint and less vibration than u joints.

I'm at 2.5 in the front and 2 in the back, not really worried about it, it rides great. I think the isolators on the back are beat up, so thats probably worth something. I'll get a picture next to the stock niner whenever I'm home and there's light out.

jetjr: that'd be great if you could grab one, I'd like to get this thing back to 4wd, the handling in 2wd sucks. PM me to work out swapping $ for goodies.
It will work on the road maybe but if you disco the sway bar it will tear apart. Mine did at 2"
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #63
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Ok, new shaft will go into the 9er and I'll do the u-joint swap on the 96. Did you need a custom shaft or can I just pull a V8 U-joint shaft.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Sway bar discos are one their way from kolak. Really not excited about having to pull the diff apart, but if it needs doing may as well do it right.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #65
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I went to the yard and got one from a 93 ZJ. I pulled 2 and measured them. My CV shaft was around 31" so that's what I looked for. I had a shop install a new yoke and the shaft went in with no issues. The other option is that repezza to U joint adapter thing. It attaches to the CV yoke. Double check it though because if I recall they do not guarantee it free of vibes like their standard shafts but I could be wrong about that.
picture-4.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #66
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov

Ok bud got both the drivers side mirror and driveshaft from a 98 v8

image-639258056.jpg
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #67
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Polka Carolina driveline never put a double cardan on my axle end of my shaft. I asked for the cv joint to U joint conversion shaft they said its popular I'm surprised they didn't put a double cardan there. I have adjustable uppers and still trying to get rid of the vibe! Lol
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #68
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Ordered a reman steering box today, getting it tomorrow. Gotta figure out front driveshaft and radios for cb support. Gonna take it out to play with a bunch of tjs and other jeeps on the 23rd. So much to do!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #69
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Picked up the steering box, pulled the jeep into the garage to start pulling things off.

They had other ideas.

I was following the durango box swap guide thats around here somewhere. Very good guide, and if there was a durango to steal a box from anywhere near here I would have done that, but alas there isn't.

Drag link tre wouldn't come off at all while it was on the jeep neither would the pitman arm, so I figured I'd drop the thing wholesale.

Steering linkage came right off, helps if you pull the airbox. The fsm says to removing the linkage from the jeep entirely, written for hourly employees I guess
jeep-build-4-1.jpg

Then I had some room to work, one good hit with the BFH and the TRE popped right off. Bought a new one anyway, why not, and I messed it up a bit trying to get it off the carcass when it was still in the jeep.
jeep-build-4-2.jpg

New vs old:
jeep-build-4-3.jpg

Pitman arm was not so fortunate. I've been soaking in pb blaster and beating on it for three days now and nada. After day two I ordered a new on from rockauto.
jeep-build-4-4.jpg

New arm should be here on wednesday, hopefully I can get it installed then and driveable. I'm working 8am to midnight thursday and friday so I won't have time then.

Found some 31's on craigslist for $300 for the set of four. Picking those up tomorrow in the niner. If I'm lucky I'll get them mounted on friday.

Gonna pull the front ds I put in the niner and put it in the green one for wheeling on the 23rd, maybe I'll break it. Don't think the discos from kolak will get here in time, have to stick to the wrench method.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #70
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Picked up new tires for this beast. 31x10.5x15 general grabber hts. Going to ride nice.

Almost all the tread on them, guy said he had them on his truck for a week and never took them on the highway. Not bad for $300 plus $50 in gas.
image-2079032228.jpg   image-4061763064.jpg   image-2708892182.jpg  

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #71
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Also got a ping from kolak, sway bar discos should be here friday!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Pitman arm came in today. So I can give the old steering box back to o'reilly, with bonus pitman arm.
jeep-build-5-2.jpg
jeep-build-5-3.jpg

Everything installed pretty quick, new drag link TRE.

jeep-build-5-4.jpg

And packed up the new tires to get them mounted.

jeep-build-5-5.jpg

Costco mounts tires for $14 a pop + $4 disposal fee, not too bad compared to the $25 a tire some of the other places around here want. Bonus points as there's a costco on the other side of the freeway from my office, complete with an in-n-out across the street. Cheeseburger for lunch and I have new tires. They may as well be new, still had 90% of the new tire nub things on them. What a steal.

Been working till after dark, so no lift and tire picks yet. Tomorrow. JKS discos came in from kolak today too. Can't wait to put them on, not excited about trying to get the driver side link out.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #73
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Pitman arm came in today. So I can give the old steering box back to o'reilly, with bonus pitman arm.
Attachment 586168
Attachment 586169

Everything installed pretty quick, new drag link TRE.

Attachment 586170

And packed up the new tires to get them mounted.

Attachment 586171

Costco mounts tires for $14 a pop + $4 disposal fee, not too bad compared to the $25 a tire some of the other places around here want. Bonus points as there's a costco on the other side of the freeway from my office, complete with an in-n-out across the street. Cheeseburger for lunch and I have new tires. They may as well be new, still had 90% of the new tire nub things on them. What a steal.

Been working till after dark, so no lift and tire picks yet. Tomorrow. JKS discos came in from kolak today too. Can't wait to put them on, not excited about trying to get the driver side link out.
I took the sway bar off to get the stock links out.
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #74
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey man, nice build! Did you ever figure out if your control arms were the wrong ones? I only ask because I ran into the same problem you did with the new ones' bushing being longer than the stock. I managed to hammer the back lower ones in, but the front ones are being a PITA. I did manage to get the front ones in, but the washer wouldn't fit over the bevel'd thing. My theory is that the axle is shifted back due to the crappy warped stock ones.

Figured I'd ask before I waste more time on trying to get them in there and lined up.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #75
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

My back ones were the only ones that were bad, and I only checked the uppers. I haven't had time, been working late and trying to get things fixed to get back to driveable.

In other news,

THE ****ING MOTHER OF A ***** STEERING BOX IS LEAKING.

Kolak sent me WJ discos by accident, whoops. I don't blame him though, he's a great guy. I'm a little ticked off with his weekend email policies, but I understand them.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.