N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #46
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Grabbed a couple of pics of my niner. I can't wait to drive it

Outside:

niner-1.jpg

niner-2.jpg

I feel like there's something missing here:

niner-3.jpg

And another surprise missing down there:

niner-4.jpg

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #47
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

WOW! I had no idea niners had such a spacious engine bay!
Lol looks very clean though
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #48
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

New engine is ready to go in, mechanic opened the trans to see how it was, not even worth repairing, bugger. Since I'm planning on driving this thing to the end of the earth anyway a brand new mopar transmission is going in, ugh.

Still two weeks out from having it back, I'm impatient dammit!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #49
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Hit a curb sideways with the right front wheel in the 96 pulling into the parking lot at work on friday, sheered the track bar clean off at the frame side mount.

Whoops, but part of the lift parts I got from kolak was an jks adjustable track bar, so I have a spare!

Of course that means going home from work in high mpg mode.
jeep-build-1.jpg

Here's the sheered trackbar
jeep-build-1-1.jpg

The jks bar is quite beefy compared to the stock one, seems like a really good replacement to me. Here they both are
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

Pretty simple install except for the remains of the bolt that was sheered. I had to remove the trackbar fram mount and partially drill it out then compress with a vice to pop it out. The bolt is a tapered sleeve and really sticks if you manage to sheer it
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Both cv shafts were pretty bad so I picked up a pair at o'reillys, they had them in stock even. It seems like this pile grows a lot and doesn't shrink
jeep-build-1-4.jpg

I drove to work and back saturday with the new trackbar and all seemed ok, picked up a couple of new tools to do the cv shaft install on saturday night. Got a ryobi 18V impact wrench (good to 200ft/lbs) 35mm and 36mm sockets for the axle nuts, and a 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 250 ft/lbs.

35mm and 36mm?

Yep, the factory axle nuts are 36mm, so sayeth the great FSM and the great arlo. Apparently a lot of the aftermarket shafts are 35mm nuts, the ones that I got were. I popped the tires off and the passenger side was a 35mm nut, but the driver side was a factory or oem 36mm nut. You gotta figure that something with four nuts is going to screw you pretty well. Of course my first attempt at removing the nuts didn't go so well

O'reillys swapped me straight for another breaker bar. The incantation that seemed to work best was soak the nut in pb blaster, go read jeepforum, hit the nut with the impact wrench going between forward and reverse until the battery overheats, then hit it with the breaker bar and a 4ft cheater pipe.

Everything else went fine with the cv shaft swap. Test drove it around the block that night and went to bed. Hopped in the jeep to go to work sunday morning, got it onto the freeway and I got up to 50mph before it started shaking like a jackhammer. Pulled over, looked for something broken, nope, nothing obvious. Tried driving again and now it shakes at 30mph!

So I gots dat wobble, 17 years clean and now I got the wobble.

I use to think the stories were exaggerations, how bad can it be? Mark me down as a believer now.

Redid the alignment, checked the steering, checked the ball joints, tried swapping the wheel that took the hit for the spare. No such luck. Gonna try checking tie rod ends and control arms tonight. Until then I am jeepless and therefore DDless.

Bugger.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #50
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

THE NINER IS BACK, THE NINER IS BACK!

Got the niner back from the mechanic today, and set to work cleaning it up to be my DD until i can get the green one fixed up and then have time to do the niner up properly. New control arms front and rear show up tomorrow in hopes that cures the death wobble, I know the back don't do anything for that but it wasn't much more to just replace those too. Should get control arms installed this weekend, and when I do I'm going to finally put the OME and Bilstein stuff in.

Gonna start a build thread for the niner, lots of work to be done.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Control arms were waiting for me when I got home today. I know I was gonna wait, do it on saturday, have a full day, when shops are open if I need parts or tools.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I've got springs, shocks, and control arms for a jeep and a jeep that needs em. Call up some buddies and lets have some fun.

Probably did this in all kinds of the wrong order. The plan was, disco, rip control arms and shocks out, drop the axle with the floor jack, pull out the coils, reverse.

We tried pulling the sway bar links at the sway bar side, the passenger side came right off with an upward tap on the sway bar. The driver side would not freaking budge, we hit it, we jacked it up, pb blaster, pry bar. Nothing.

Ended up disconnecting the other end, which is easier. The metal sleeve fell right out of the bushing. I knew I needed to get longer links anyway. If I can get the original one off.
jeep-build-2-1.jpg

Once we were discoed I pulled the lower control arms while my buddies started pulling the shocks.

Heres the comparison shot between the original CA's and the new one. You can definitely tell looking at the bushing that this thing took a sideways hit. After all the trouble it's caused me I'm taking the corner pulling into work totally differently now.
jeep-build-2-3.jpg

Pulling the lower shock mounts.
jeep-build-2-2.jpg

The passenger side upper shock mount is easy, you can get to it with an impact and everything. If I was paying attention I would have pulled the top mount then the lower. The 18v impact wrench is definitely my new favorite tool.
jeep-build-2-4.jpg

Who the **** designed the driver side of this thing? You'd have to remove part of the abs system to get an impact on those nuts. We ended up wedging an adjustable in and spinning the shock, not kosher, but worked.
jeep-build-2-5.jpg

Once the shocks were out I tried dropping the axles to see if it would let the coils just fall out. The driveshaft and upper CA's were still connected. As I was lowering we heard a *snap* I'm hoping it was just something settling or a CA bushing moving not the driveshaft, but I won't know till I try it.

We tossed some jack stands under the axle and started figuring on how to pull the coil. It was a little after 11 by that time and I hadn't had a chance to grab a coil compressor. So we figured we'd try doing it our own way. Tossed the jack under the end of the axle and compressed the spring as much as we could without lifting the frame off the stands.

Then we tried what we had around,
jeep-build-2-6.jpg

It worked to get the spring out, we recompressed it between the jack and the frame rail to remove the tie down strap.

OME 2.5" lift spring VS old stock spring:
jeep-build-2-7.jpg

Then we tried doing the reverse to get the new spring in. Nope, not happening. Without the spring perches to keep the spring seated while we compressed it we couldn't compress the spring in a way that made us feel like it wasn't going to come flying out and kill somebody. Maybe we're just wimps, but we're alive wimps.

Moved on to pulling the upper CA's, to undo the frame side bolt you put the socket through a nice wide hole in the frame rail, the bolt head itself is inside the rail. And if when you remove the socket from the bolt you catch it on the side of that opening the socket slides down the frame rail and hides inside it.

BUGGER

Heres the access opening in the frame for the CA bolt. The two zip ties are attached to my flashlight while I used a dental exam mirror to find the ****ing socket.
jeep-build-2-8.jpg

The socket had rolled all the way down to the transmission support bar mounts. Other than the access hole for the CA bolt the largest holes along the frame rail are barely big enough for one of my fingers. Took me half an hour with a dental mirror and a fish tape to get the ****ing thing out.

But I did.
jeep-build-2-9.jpg

Pulled the other upper, didn't drop the socket. Axle side bushings look good, so I'm not gonna replace them. The passenger side bushing in the CA wasn't great, probably from the hit. New ones are sitting in a pile waiting to go in.

Left it with one spring, no shocks, and no control arms. Won't have a chance to work till saturday and I still need a new front DS for my niner from the JY. Hopefully gonna get this running again with the lift so I can garage the niner for some work.
jeep-build-2-10.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #52
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Reading the forum about doing the coil swaps, remembered that with the control arms I just need to droop the axle and swap the springs. Got the fronts in, will put the rest of the suspension back together tomorrow after a morning JY run.

image-3364644039.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #53
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got back to the jeep today, figured I'd get as much done on the green one before going to the JY for niner parts.

Tossed in the new upper control arms
jeep-build-3-1.jpg

Test fitting the new shocks
jeep-build-3-2.jpg

Everything went back together pretty easily, used a ratchet strap to align some of the CA. Put it back on the ground and torqued down the CA bolts. Dropped the socket in the frame rail ****ING AGAIN, took a little less time to fish it out the second time.

Bugger.

Drove out of the garage to back the other end in. Half lift pic
jeep-build-3-3.jpg

Backed in, hopped under the front to check everything was good (sure felt a lot better).

SON OF A MONKEYS *** ****ING TOAD.
jeep-build-3-6.jpg

I hate it when I'm right, the snap noise when I was lowering the front axle was the driveshaft. I now own 2 2wd drive ZJs.

Ripped into the rear end, pulled the lower CA's and tried to test fit the new ones. Something seems wrong here, only one end goes in.

Hard to tell from the picture but the bushing in the new arms is wider than the original. Maybe thats on purpose? Probably they sent me the wrong part.
jeep-build-3-5.jpg

The originals weren't that bad though, so I didn't even bother pulling the uppers. New shocks and springs went in just fine.
jeep-build-3-7.jpg

Wheels are back on, dropped it to the floor and backed up a little to get the garage door closed. I need to torque down the CA's when I get home from work tonight, then pull the front DS. Hoping I can get up early tomorrow, go to the JY and get new shafts, bunch of other stuff on the list. Want to drive this one again so I can clean up the niner properly.

Every adventure a repair, every repair an adventure.

BUGGER, bugger, bugger.
jeep-build-3-4.jpg  

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #54
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got everything torqued up and running. Neither of the yards in town have any post 96 V8's so I'm SOL until I can get up to the one thats on the other side of the bay. I'm really digging the new row52.com site. Set up alerts so I'll get an email anytime a 96 or 98 zj comes in to my local yards.

The bilsteins and OME springs ROCKS! The jeep hasn't ridden this good since ever. Thanks Kolak!

Gonna get swaybar discos rather than longer links, may as well do it proper. Handing the 5.2 over to my mechanic for an oil change and a proper alignment (yeh I don't change my own oil, I don't like dealing with fluid), I did the best I could with a tape measure but I think it can be better.

Then I need to figure out some beefier tires. My gf is already complaining that it's too tall for her to get in. She's 5'2", I don't have a problem but I'm 6'2". Sounds like an excuse to get some kor sliders to me though.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #55
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Just watch Craigslist for 31s.

You need to post a full lift pick. How much lift did you get? I head 2.5 from everyone on here, but then the OME springs got 2.5 in front and 2.0 in the rear for me.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #56
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Reading the forum about doing the coil swaps, remembered that with the control arms I just need to droop the axle and swap the springs. Got the fronts in, will put the rest of the suspension back together tomorrow after a morning JY run.

Attachment 576125
I was gonna say, that drive shaft looks busted in this picture. Probably pulled apart drooping the axle to put the coils in. Oh well, that would have probably happened sooner or later anyway. No big deal.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #57
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

I'm going to the jy on Newark right now, you need me to grab you anything?
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #58
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes! A 96+ V8 front cv driveshaft and a driver side mirror from a 98 would be great, my work schedule won't let me get there till Next week.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #59
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Yes! A 96+ V8 front cv driveshaft and a driver side mirror from a 98 would be great, my work schedule won't let me get there till Next week.
Got one of the two bud. Driver Mirror from a 98 zj. Drive shaft was there too but didn't have the right wrench to get it off and not strip the bolt. If you still need it I'm going back Wednesday and I'll snag it for you.
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #60
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Just get a u-joint shaft. That will just happen twice.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.