N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Wahooo! Steering stabilizer is here, rest of the lift parts should be coming soon. This is gonna be fun.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Wahooo! Steering stabilizer is here, rest of the lift parts should be coming soon. This is gonna be fun.
You only got one?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You only got one?
Figured I'd grab a second one the next time I change the headlight fluid.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #34
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Steering

With the steering stabilizer here I just couldn't resist tossing it on. I could have waited for the rest of the lift to get here, but wheres the fun in that?

Here's the stock one in the bracket, I'm not sure if it's original, but it's probably close.

n6mzv-build9-6.jpg

The bolt on the bracket end of the stabilizer came right off. It was a little stuck in the bracket (rusted together). So I improvised.

n6mzv-build9-5.jpg

Popped right out.

The nut on the drag link end of the stabilizer came right off as well, but the bolt wasn't budging. Tried a couple of different methods of persuasion (mallet, 2x4, hammer, crowbar) nothing doing.

Bugger, bugger, bugger all.

Must have spent an hour trying to get the damn thing to budge. Drove the other car to home depot, got another bottle of wd-40 and a bottle of something calling itself "Bolt-off".

Bolt off mein foose, doesn't do ****.

Ended up drilling out the end of the bolt down to the tapered sleeve and then hitting the thing with a 3/8 steel rod and a hammer.

Heres the drag link end of the stabilizer once I was done with it.

n6mzv-build9-4.jpg

n6mzv-build9-3.jpg

And the obligatory comparison shot between stock and the new moog stabilizer.

n6mzv-build9-1.jpg

Installing the new one took all of 5 minutes. If the old one had come out like it's supposed to this would have been an hour and a half maybe less. Oh well.

Here it is installed.

n6mzv-build9-7.jpg

n6mzv-build9-2.jpg

Discovered a few other little things along the way, my jack stands at full extension on the frame only get the front tires 1/2" off the ground with the stock extension. Not gonna cut it when I do the lift. The cheapy floor jack I got is also a bit short, I had to put three 2x4 blocks on it to get the thing in the air. Bugger, more money. Still missing the front right bolt on the skid plate, was hoping this would go quick and I could keep working on that while I had the plate out. HAHAHA. Wishful thinking once again.

Rest of the lift should be getting here soon. Going to be difficult to not take the whole thing apart the second it shows up. Can't wait to get it running at new height. Then think about doing an injector swap and some electrical work. Probably hunt for a durango to knick the steering box and alternator from as well.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Santa has come again, my father got us both the garmin mechanic odbII reader, that should be fun for later. My springs and shocks haven't shown up yet but I'm hopeful they will before New Years, going to have one less driver in the house next week so ill be able to take the jeep apart and still have a car. Went to the jy the other day and pulled a last few bits for the fog lights, need to figure out how that's going to work with my front bumper cover.

And

Under the tree was a box containing a welding helmet and a donation to the buy alex a welder fund. Looking at getting a Lincoln electric 140. Cursing the fool that put the entire garage on one 20 amp circuit, gonna have to run power from the house. Thought about 220 but there isn't any nearby.

Happy holidays.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Santa has come again, my father got us both the garmin mechanic odbII reader, that should be fun for later. My springs and shocks haven't shown up yet but I'm hopeful they will before New Years, going to have one less driver in the house next week so ill be able to take the jeep apart and still have a car. Went to the jy the other day and pulled a last few bits for the fog lights, need to figure out how that's going to work with my front bumper cover.

And

Under the tree was a box containing a welding helmet and a donation to the buy alex a welder fund. Looking at getting a Lincoln electric 140. Cursing the fool that put the entire garage on one 20 amp circuit, gonna have to run power from the house. Thought about 220 but there isn't any nearby.

Happy holidays.
Is it the Eco route thing to view engine parameters on garmin GPS?

Good luck on the welder. What kinda welding helmet is it? I bought a miller auto shade last year and love it. Can't wait to use it when I build my bumper.
Unread 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh the ecoroute garmin mechanic whatever they call it. Should be interesting and cheaper than a scan gauge.

The helmet is a something or other auto darken, I'll probably get myself an old fashioned helmet as well since that's what I'm used to. I haven't welded in a few years and that was an old stick welder so this should be fun. I'll finally be able to build myself a proper steel bumper instead of the galvy flashing cover I have now.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Yeh the ecoroute garmin mechanic whatever they call it. Should be interesting and cheaper than a scan gauge.

The helmet is a something or other auto darken, I'll probably get myself an old fashioned helmet as well since that's what I'm used to. I haven't welded in a few years and that was an old stick welder so this should be fun. I'll finally be able to build myself a proper steel bumper instead of the galvy flashing cover I have now.
If I ever get a GPS. It will be a garmin and I'd get that. Seems decent.

I started welding with stick and old style helmet. Not auto shade. Then I used a cheap auto shade and loved it then bought a decent one. I won't go back. Haha. I can't wait to build a bumper
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #39
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The garmin thing is great, can't get all of the sensors I'd like but it's a good start and I haven't played with the android app yet. Going to be extremely helpful next time it throws a code. Got the lincoln 140, got it wired from the house, been practicing, welds are **** but getting better.

Finally finished doing the foglights, went back to the JY and got lights off a 96, plus a relay, bolted right up, all the wiring was there, even had caps on the connectors to protect them. So much nicer driving at night with fogs. Thinking about doing either a-pillar lights or behind the grill lights next.

Pics on fogs later, adding the foglights meant the galvy flashing bumper cover couldn't stay, need to figure out where to go from there, don't have the ca$h or time right now to do a proper bumper, and my welds aren't there yet. Driving around without the crappy cover does annoy me, just doesn't look as good without it. I maintain that it was a worthwhile solution.

Went back to work today, right on cue my bilsteins showed up. Bugger. Hoping the springs show up tomorrow or friday, I have saturday and sunday off (for once) so I could finally do the lift then.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #40
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Was pushing a little too hard in the rain, gf forgot something we needed at a show and I made the 1hr drive in 35 minutes. About half way back started getting that burnt wood smell. Checked the transmission fluid, looks good. Betting on the front diff, the front axle has been acting up a bit. Deciding whether to take it to the mechanic and have him check the whole thing, or just do it myself.

Did get a new floor jack and jack stands much nicer than the old ones, should get it a bit higher off the ground.

Still waiting for my OME springs!!!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

So these are sitting in my garage taunting me. But I may be getting a niner tomorrow, early signs of addiction and all that. If I get the miner then all of this will go into that and ill start stripping and cleaning the 5.2 to sell. Or maybe start saving for Clayton long arms on the 5.2. Still not sure.
image-1356675341.jpg  

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Hold up.

Went up in the jeep to sonoma (bout 2 hours from home) to see a man about a 9er. Good condition, couple of little things like interior bulbs out, but running smooth, shifting fine. And oh god that sound. My buddy says he knew the guy had made the sale as soon as I started it up. $2500, and some signatures later I now have two jeeps.

GPS says theres a chevron (I only use chevron) bout 5 miles down the highway. It's getting dark and I don't want to be swapping things in the parking lot of a mcdonalds, so I hop in the 96 and he gets in the 9er and we head down to the chevron to swap radios over there and then head out home.

So the question is:
What do you get when you take a 9er, five miles, down the highway in first gear.

"The hell is he driving so slow?"

Pull up to the light at the end of the offramp. I make the right turn, he doesn't.

I park the 96 and start running to find him. He had stalled at the light got it started again and then stalled. Thank god the 9er came with upcountry hooks. Pulled it into the chevron, started checking things out.

Engine had overheated, most of the coolant was gone, oil had burned off, transmission fluid looks and smells good, battery was dead from trying to get it started (PO said he hadn't driven it in a month or two).

Put gas in it, coolant and oil, start the battery charging off the 96.

Finally get it started and gone is the low powerful rumble, replaced with well this:

Bugger bugger bugger all.

Call AAA, 100 miles of free towing? Hot damn we're 96 miles from my mechanic.

Dropped it off that night, went home, passed out. It was around 1am by the time we got home, freezing cold.

Mechanic is looking for parts found a deal on a new engine, gonna bring it back to stock. Bunch of people here suggested bigger engine, but I just want a niner, and I don't want to have a problem with CA smog.

The rest of everything is on hold, saving pennies to make sure I can pay for this. Once I get it back it's gonna get the OME/bilstein lift. Then we shall see.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Is the donor motor a Jeep 5.9 or from something else?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Jeep/dodge 5.9 w/ 120k on it, tested with 6 month warranty.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
I dig AU
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Jeep/dodge 5.9 w/ 120k on it, tested with 6 month warranty.
Best wishes with the new 9er. I think you could use a break about now.
I dig AU is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.