N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
cliffordmck72
1994 ZJ 

Great spot for the fire extinguisher!

cliffordmck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #17
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Lift time!

I'm looking to finally lift the jeep. I know I don't want to go with a bb, my springs have probably sagged enough that it wouldn't really be worth it. I'm not ready to go to 4 -6 with long arms, I'll get there eventually but not while the jeep is my dd.

Planning to run either 30's or 31's, but not until the current tires die.

The two things I'm looking at:

2" kit from fat bob:
http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-gr...998-p7551.aspx

3" kit from fat bob:
http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-gr...998-p7911.aspx

Will I be able to run the 3" with the stock control arms? I'd rather put money into beefing up the steering than control arms.

Does anybody have experience with fat bob?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

You can run 3 but you'll have to take care of a few things first. (such as the spring post and possibly replacing some ca bushings) the arms themselves should be fine, i believe.

And yeah i use a fat bobs 2 inch bb got it off amazon for $170
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Skid plate

Stopped raining on sunday long enough to go to the junkyard. Wanted to look for the skidplate and see what they had.

Of course the freeway was still 6-9 inches of water in some places (my buddy says 1') glad to be in a jeep.

Wandering through, grabbed the foglight control piece so I can put some fogs on at some point. $12 not bad at all.

n6mzv-build7-7.jpg

Was thinking about this,

n6mzv-build7-8.jpg

Maybe some other time.

Took a while to find a ZJ with the metal plate, most of them had the plastic thing like mine does. Luckily the local yard has 7 ZJ's on the lot. Eventually found this poor soul.

n6mzv-build7-6.jpg

And pulled the plate, $15.

n6mzv-build7-5.jpg

Brought it all home and cleaned things off a bit.

The jeep before.

n6mzv-build7-4.jpg

Comparison of the plastic thing and the real one.

n6mzv-build7-3.jpg

Should just be a quick bolt on job right?

[insert raucous laughter here]

I don't know what murphy's problem with my radiator is, but he needs to gtfo. Tossed the plate up and tried bolting it on, NO DICE, the back of kevin's radiator mount was preventing the plate from bolting in at the front points. BUGGER. I don't know if it was the plat I got, pre 96 plate on a 96 zj, shouldn't matter. Or the front end damage from the crash in '09, hope not. I don't think kevin would build a bracket that doesn't work with the stock skids, so write that off as a reason.

Whatever, tiny gremlins.

Pulled the plate back down and hit it with the grinder. Hit it with the grinder hard.

n6mzv-build7-2.jpg

Finally got it to mount up. Much better.

n6mzv-build7-1.jpg

Of course when I was grinding a metal piece popped up behind my safety glasses and into my eye. Ended up going to the bloody hospital on monday to get it removed. Full face shields from now on, bugger again.

Still thinking about that 3" fat bob kit for xmas break redo bushings and replace the steering stabilizer while I'm at it. My grandfather and uncle are both welders by trade so if I can get down to LA I can get help relearning to weld and build a proper bumper. Then think about where I'm gonna be installing fogs. Trying to get it ready to go wheelin in the spring. Once I get different tries. Oh and the HF radio needs to get mounted in the back again so I can use it as a CB, once I figure out how to program the stupid thing. Probably summat else I'm forgetting.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Was looking at fat bobs 3" lift kit, but after some suggestions I decided to try the "do it right the first time" theory of saving money. So I talked to kolak and ordered up OME springs and bilsteins for a 2.5" lift. New trackbar and steering stabilizer at kolak's suggestion. Going to be fun, going to regret it in my bank account for a few weeks, but I'll live. New gps should get here tomorrow, and maybe someday I'll have time for writing software for the jeep computer thats sitting in the closet.

xmas is looking to be expensive already.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

I love your build. Will look good with the lift on. And since your into radios. What's your take on the midland 1001lwx for mainly just a trail radio. Thanks.
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Youll love how it rides. Nice choices! Make sure you get the 9/16ths drill bit for the track bar before you start. Its a good time to get new tie rod ends since youll be needing an alignment afterward anyways.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I'll check the tie rods, I'm (un)lucky enough to have two weeks (unpaid)off for the holidays so I'll have some time to get things set in.

Nick, chicken band is chicken band and all the gear is more or less the same quality (crap) but built to be abused by a gorilla. Looks like a simple radio readable display and physical controls for all the functions you need (squelch, volume, rf). I've never used a dedicated cb rig so I'm not sure what to look for. I would of course suggest that you go out and get yourself licensed for HAM radio. The test isn't that hard and then you'll be able to use much higher quality gear on frequencies and repeaters free of the less desirable content on CB. HF ham gear is also usually able to transmit on CB frequencies (sometimes you have to unlock it) and will perform much better (better designed transmitter and receiver sections). With any radio, the antenna and how it is mounted and cabled plays a big part in performance.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
I dig AU
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Nick, chicken band is chicken band and all the gear is more or less the same quality (crap) but built to be abused by a gorilla.
Oh my gosh, that is so well said.

You will love that lift. I've yet to get the same springs on, but just love those shocks.

Keep those updates coming.
I dig AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
I'll check the tie rods, I'm (un)lucky enough to have two weeks (unpaid)off for the holidays so I'll have some time to get things set in.

Nick, chicken band is chicken band and all the gear is more or less the same quality (crap) but built to be abused by a gorilla. Looks like a simple radio readable display and physical controls for all the functions you need (squelch, volume, rf). I've never used a dedicated cb rig so I'm not sure what to look for. I would of course suggest that you go out and get yourself licensed for HAM radio. The test isn't that hard and then you'll be able to use much higher quality gear on frequencies and repeaters free of the less desirable content on CB. HF ham gear is also usually able to transmit on CB frequencies (sometimes you have to unlock it) and will perform much better (better designed transmitter and receiver sections). With any radio, the antenna and how it is mounted and cabled plays a big part in performance.
I wouldn't mind gettin into ham. Just not at the moment. I'll go with cb for trail use and see how I like it. Thanks for the insight though.
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Electrical

Got a new gps, the nuvi 660 that I had was starting to die and didn't have lifetime maps so it was painfully out of date. Too many streets around this area that didn't exist last year, much less 2009 when I got the thing.

I've been looking at getting something like a scanguage for a while to monitor more of whats going on. Ran across the garmin ecoroute HD thing, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354 looks pretty good. Did a little research and dropped the right hints. Sounds like santa will be bringing me one for xmas (and one for the cooper too). Not a bad solution except it doesn't work with my old 660. Just have to get a new 2460 instead. Picked it up for $140 on ebay manufacturer refurbished. Not bad at all.

The old setup,

n6mzv-build8-7.jpg

And then theres this mess,

n6mzv-build8-6.jpg
n6mzv-build8-5.jpg

Theres a cigarette splitter plugged into the switched outlet under the vic. Plugged into that is the garmin power adapter and a cigarette to anderson powerpole adapter. The garmin cable then goes inside the dash and to the mount. The powerpole cable goes to a splitter wedged between the driver seat and the center console. Plugged into that are the cables for the 2m/440 radio and the power cable for the subwoofer which both run under the back seat floor mat to the back seat. Theres also a cable plugged into the splitter to charge my handheld radio.

It's a mess to say the least.

I figured while I was in the dash I might as well replace the light controller with the foglight one I got. Cleaned the contacts on it first, especially the slider for the interior brightness since I have problems with that on the original one. Popped it in and moved the relay for the switched outlet down to the foglight slot to test.

Works,

n6mzv-build8-3.jpg

Now I just need to get another relay and find some fogs I like. Also fixed the problem with the interior dimming which is a nice plus.

Now on to the annoying part.

Moved the powerpole splitter to under the backseat. Radio and subwoofer connect directly to that (red and black wire in the picture). Cable runs from the splitter along the driver side door jams along with the audio feed to the sub (black cable audio, clear cable is power).

n6mzv-build8-9.jpg

I tacked a short cable onto the blade connector of the switched cigarette jack. From there it goes to a powerpole connector for when I need one up front. Then the wire goes to a cigarette light socket for the garmin nuvi. The line going to the back seats is soldered to the socket as well.

n6mzv-build8-1.jpg

The nuvi power supply and socket hide in the space behind the vic and the cable runs up to my mount point. Nice and clean. All hidden it looks like this.

n6mzv-build8-4.jpg

If I ever put the knee guard back in you wouldn't be able to tell any of it was there. Not that I'm likely to do that, haven't had the thing in in ages.

Close up of where the wiring mess used to be.

n6mzv-build8-2.jpg

And here it is all finished. The new nuvi 2460 uses the same ball mount as the old one, pops right in. Doesn't have the flip up antenna so I'll have to find another place to put my computer glasses when I'm driving. So nice to be able to see the tcase control markings for the first time ever.

n6mzv-build8-8.jpg

This is just the beginning. I can't wait to get the suspension parts from kolak and get them put on. Having way too much fun with this.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Bill
Keep ur eyes out for a NUVI 350, It has a Fleet Management mode which is compatable with APRS.
I got mine off fleabay for 50 bucks. When interfaced with your 2m rig the beacons pop up on the screen.
If you want to send a message just touch the icon and the keyboard screen pops up...Slick setup.
73 de Greg/WG8Z
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #28
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I will keep and eye out for that. The mounting bracket next to the climate control panel is supposed to be for the computer that lives in the back and handles aprs to do weather balloon and rocket tracking. It's not in any of the pictures because I'm in the middle of rewriting the software. I really like the idea of being able to check and reset engine codes from the nuvi though.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
oldmancrash
1993 ZJ 

nice project that you have going. I had a 706 MKII radio matched with the amcom antenna tuner and boy it worked well with the yeasu atas 120 antenna. Hummm gets me thinging again N7NHS
oldmancrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #30
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I love the 706. The 7k is nice, especially for field day but it's a bit much for the car, and it's NOT user friendly too many menus and softkeys. I've been thinking about picking up a used 706 for the jeep and leaving the 7k at home connected to the good antenna. It's only money right?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.