N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #151
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thats one thing I'm considering, but I had a new engine put in in february, and McCloud is OCD enough about his engine bay that I don't think he would put up with bad motor mounts.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #152
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
What kinda air filter is that in those last pics? Is that permanent? I kinda dig it even just for looks. haha
It's one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1002/overview/

It may end up going in the niner since it fits on that one. I kinda like the way it cleans up the engine bay.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #153
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post

It's one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1002/overview/

It may end up going in the niner since it fits on that one. I kinda like the way it cleans up the engine bay.
Do it man! That'd be a slick look for the niner bay i bet.

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #154
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

With the intake fixed and front end back together enough to take it out it was time to go wheel!

We went down tuesday and stayed a night in joshua tree, then headed out to Johnson Valley OHV, home of a little race named KOH. Since we didn't have a second jeep with us I wasn't about to get stuck on the rocks, but we had fun nonetheless.

Really beautiful day, never got above 65F so we were rolling with the windows down and having a blast.
jeep-trail-3.jpg

These guys didn't make it out so well.
jeep-trail-4.jpg

More trail.
jeep-trail-5.jpg

A green blur made this dust cloud.
jeep-trail-6.jpg

Found the source of the green blur, these guys were testing their new ride for a little race called the Baja 1000.
jeep-trail-8.jpg

And back to the trail.
jeep-trail-10.jpg

Jeep performed great, no problems with overheating even when we were taking it slow. We didn't always take it slow though

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #155
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Dude! I bet that buggy was Crying down that road! Id love to be in that thing

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #156
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Road!? They don't need no stinking road! They passed us once when we were doing 40 across the lake bed, I'm serious when I say it was a green blur.

Another pic, because it's nicer to look at than my heap.
jeep-trail-9.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #157
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

that thing is built to kick the desert square in the dick. I love it.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #158
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Played with gopro mounts to prep for the next non club club run this saturday.

Started by fabbing another of my a pillar light mounts, gopro tripod mount on that with a stainless 1/4-20 cap head and we're good to rock.
jeep-build-3.jpg

Used one of the sticky mount things to attach the gopro to one of the standard issue Big *** Magnets we have kicking around. Played with angles on the rear quarter and the top of the slider.
jeep-build-1.jpg
jeep-build-2.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #159
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

We had perfect weather for our xmas tree run back in december, it snowed the night before and was beautiful. Jeep handled great, I was really happy to be rocking a 249, the JKU guys were having traction problems no end. Didn't get much for pictures, might get around to editing the video someday. Since then my rear diff has started leaking again. Always something.
jeep-snow-.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #160
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Teaser, these are coming.

jeep-build-1-.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #161
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Alright, finally getting somewhere.

Got me one of these.
jeep-build-0-1.jpg

To start fixing this.
jeep-build-0-2.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #162
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Got the front end worked over, thought it was just a cv shaft clicking, pulled it and the wheel bearing was bad too. O'reilly's swapped me straight for the parts under warranty!
jeep-build-1-1.jpg

And got the battery in, so it starts and runs again. Been driving around town to blow some of the crud out, it hasn't been driven since early december so it's a little over due.
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #163
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Looking closely at things and the front of the oil pan gasket is doing a bang up job of lubing my steering components. Oh well, add that to the list o'parts.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #164
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Finally got around to finishing up the steering wheel swap. I swapped my original beat up wheel for one from a limited that had the steering wheel controls. Today I finally installed the controller to make the buttons work with my aftermarket HU.

There is an excellent write up on the subject over here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...l#post19498897 I basically followed that.

When I pulled the radio I was rather unimpressed with the audio shop's install job.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

Now I don't have anything against crimps in general. Done correctly they are just as good as solder joints, but they very often aren't done correctly. I really don't like that they cut the connector off the factory ground wire and used a crimp butt connector for ground instead of just adding a spade terminal to the radio harness. Mostly my complaint is that none of it's clean, it's just a rushed mess.

I started by laying out the SWI-RC on the radio where I wanted it to end up when it was installed.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Based on that I started cutting up the harnesses and cleaning up the wires I didn't need.
jeep-build-1-4.jpg

Then soldered and heatshrinked.
jeep-build-1-5.jpg

And here it is with the new wiring.
jeep-build-1-6.jpg

Signal wire runs along to the clockspring.
jeep-build-1-7.jpg

Everything else went pretty much like the niner. Programming is simple once you know what you want to do. Now I have steering wheel controls in a jeep that wasn't equipped with them!

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #165
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Finally got around to finishing up the steering wheel swap. I swapped my original beat up wheel for one from a limited that had the steering wheel controls. Today I finally installed the controller to make the buttons work with my aftermarket HU.

There is an excellent write up on the subject over here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...l#post19498897 I basically followed that.

When I pulled the radio I was rather unimpressed with the audio shop's install job.
Attachment 1258105
Attachment 1258113

Now I don't have anything against crimps in general. Done correctly they are just as good as solder joints, but they very often aren't done correctly. I really don't like that they cut the connector off the factory ground wire and used a crimp butt connector for ground instead of just adding a spade terminal to the radio harness. Mostly my complaint is that none of it's clean, it's just a rushed mess.

I started by laying out the SWI-RC on the radio where I wanted it to end up when it was installed.
Attachment 1258121

Based on that I started cutting up the harnesses and cleaning up the wires I didn't need.
Attachment 1258129

Then soldered and heatshrinked.
Attachment 1258137

And here it is with the new wiring.
Attachment 1258145

Signal wire runs along to the clockspring.
Attachment 1258153

Everything else went pretty much like the niner. Programming is simple once you know what you want to do. Now I have steering wheel controls in a jeep that wasn't equipped with them!
Looks clean!

When I get back state-side, the steering wheel controls are on my list o' things to do. I do need a new steering wheel, though. The one on mine has a slight shedding problem (read: the leather is falling off the wheel like dead, burnt skin...). So, that being said, a new steering wheel is ALSO on that list! It never ends...

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.