N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N6MZV Build Thread (By kg6mov)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #136
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Next up,

The next trip with my non club club was going to be a lot of rocks and I figured it was about time to build some sliders.

3x3 box tube for the main rail, 2x2 for the mounts and step sides. All 3/16 beef.
jeep-build-2-3.jpg

Quick test fit.
jeep-build-2-1.jpg
jeep-build-2-2.jpg

I really like the look of this thing without the fender, hmmmmmmm.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #137
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I started the new work with rework on the bumper. I didn't have time to finish it the way I wanted to the first time around, I was bolting it up at 11pm the night before a trip.

Stripping it down with the wire wheel.
jeep-build-3-1.jpg

Cut the plate flush and ran a bead, much better welds this time around, I'm getting there.
jeep-build-3-2.jpg

Side shot.
jeep-build-3-3.jpg

Pretty new welds.
jeep-build-3-4.jpg

Ugly old welds.
jeep-build-3-5.jpg

Priming and paint. New 3/16 skid frame, protection for the lower radiator.
jeep-build-3-6.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #138
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I finally picked up a metal chop saw. I can cut the same angle twice now!
jeep-build-41.jpg

Measuring out angles for the mounts to the "frame".
jeep-build-42.jpg

Bit of a surprise when I took the passenger side plastic rocker cover off. Guess I set down on something last time out, won't have to worry about it anymore!
jeep-build-43.jpg

Welding 3/16 plate to the end of the mount rails, the plate will get welded to the jeep.
jeep-build-44.jpg

Welding and mounting the new sliders.
jeep-build-45.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #139
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I didn't have time for the step side pieces of the sliders, I finished them about an hour before we left to wheel (I sense a theme).

The non club club went up to slick rock near lake alpine. Lots of fun, and lots of rocks. I was on my sliders hard all day and barely dinged em. Probably wouldn't have made it out without em.

Lunch stop, can you see whats wrong with this picture?
jeep-build-51.jpg

If you guessed the front tire is smaller than the back, you guessed right! I put a slice in the sidewall of my passenger side front tire on the rocks at some point and had to put the 235/75/15 spare on it. Looked slightly smaller than the 31's.

jeep-build-52.jpg
Distracted by co-pilot, took a chunk out of a tree and bent the bumper in. Kinda annoyed it didn't take out the headlight, I almost had a reason to upgrade to e-codes.

Still having a good time.
jeep-build-53.jpg

Can you say high centered? Guess I just need to go to LA and 35's, oh well.
jeep-build-54.jpg

Got through the entrance exam rock, had some fun.
jeep-build-55.jpg
jeep-build-56.jpg
jeep-build-57.jpg
jeep-build-58.jpg
jeep-build-59.jpg

The whole crew, notable attendees include 2 cj7's and a cj8, one wj and a two door xj. Oh and a few tj/jks I guess.
jeep-build-510.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #140
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

hi, i read that you have the ome lift...how is it? are you happy with it? are you running hd or medium?
thanks
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #141
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've got the OME HD, it's great. With bilsteins it rides just as good if not a bit better than stock and gives me plenty of articulation on the trail.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #142
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

thanks man
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #143
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Alright! Finally got some time to work on the jeep.

Had to pull it out of the backyard with the niner, which was a nice change of pace.
jeep-build-1.jpg

Pulled a new rear diff cover from the JY and stripped it down. I bent the stock one up pretty bad dragging the diff across the rocks, and it was leaking pretty bad.
jeep-build-2.jpg

Painted and pretty.
jeep-build-5.jpg

Rear diff wasn't too bad. Cleaned and filled with royal purple 75-140.
jeep-build-4.jpg

Also pulled a steering wheel that had no tears in the leather and the audio controls.
jeep-build-3.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #144
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Got the steps for the sliders welded up. 2x2 3/16 box tube and plenty strong.
jeep-build-1-1.jpg
jeep-build-1-2.jpg

The main rails were a little bashed up from the rocks, but did really well.
jeep-build-1-3.jpg

Tacked in place.
jeep-build-1-4.jpg

Welds are getting better. Almost ready for axle work.
jeep-build-1-5.jpg
jeep-build-1-6.jpg

Single center support, not that it needs it.
jeep-build-1-7.jpg

Primer.
jeep-build-1-8.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #145
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Since I bashed the front end up on the trail it was time to cut up the front end. Started by removing the tube from the bumper. Once I get some money for steel I'm going to build a new bumper for a winch.
jeep-build-2-1.jpg

Removed the ends of the crossmember and most of the old bumper mounts.
jeep-build-2-4.jpg

Left just a bit of metal below the header panel for the airbag sensors since I'm not ready to remove them.
jeep-build-2-2.jpg

All that was removed.
jeep-build-2-3.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #146
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

With the front end trim I needed to ditch the stock airbox. I saw McCloud had done this

He said it fit with minimal trimming and for $20 wandering through pep boys it was worth a shot.

Test fitting.
jeep-intake-6.jpg

A little bit higher than I expected.
jeep-intake-1.jpg

Hood safety catch barely catches and it really aint gonna close all the way without major trimming, I tested the exact same thing on the niner and it fit fine first try without even cutting the insulation. What the ****?
jeep-intake-7.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #147
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Lookin' good man! I really need to start welding stuff to mine, I've got a dent in the rocker a lot like that one on yours, I'm sure there's more to come for mine since I don't have any sliders yet.

What kinda air filter is that in those last pics? Is that permanent? I kinda dig it even just for looks. haha

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #148
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

My co driver and I had a few days off and she wanted to go down to joshua tree, which is right by Johnson Valley OHV, where they have a little race called King of the Hammers. Only problem was, no working jeep!

I wanted to try a cowl snorkel to fix my airbox problems permanently. The morning we wanted to leave we went all over looking for a filter that would fit in the cowl. No dice. None of the stores had anything other than 6" diameter filters, in all different lengths, but all 6" diameter. Bugger. Grabbed one of the filters anyway to try and rig something up.

Messing with the filter on the stock airhat, gee I bet that would never work.
jeep-build-2.jpg

But it did, and gave me plenty of space for the charcoal canister.
jeep-build-4.jpg

Plenty of room in front now.
jeep-build-1.jpg

Tacked the fog light mounts back on and we're ready for the desert.
jeep-build-3.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #149
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Nice dude. Your rockers remind me of mine a bit. Your welds are getting better:thumbs up:

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #150
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Perhaps your motor mounts on the 5.9 are shot allowing for more under hood clearance? I know my motor raised up quite a bit after I put in the Iron Man motor mounts.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.