N0 Brake Lights! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > N0 Brake Lights!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
jeepster51

N0 Brake Lights!

1998 Grand Cherokee has no brake lights. Replaced the fuse under the dash and the light bulbs appear unbroken. Anyone gotr any advice? I'm thinking it's the brake light switch above the brake pedal.

jeepster51

jeepster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
merlinTec

the next step would be to test the switch, was the fuse blown?
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
ProductUser

Take a multi-meter or a 12 volt test light and ensure power is getting to the brake light connectors on the end of the wiring harness.

My tail lights went out, but the cause was due to the tail light assembly and not the switch, fuse or wire harness.

Just my 2 cents.

ProductUser
ProductUser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
merlinTec

to help you test this
CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 L53 20BR STOP LAMP SWITCH SENSE
2 Z1 20BK GROUND
3 V32 20YL/RD SPEED CONTROL ON/OFF SWITCH SENSE
4 V30 20DB/LG SPEED CONTROL STOP LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
5 L50 18WT/TN STOP LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
6 L16 18RD/LG FUSED B(+)
regards,
merlin
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
jeepster51

Thanks for all the great advice!!
the fuse was not blown when i initially checked. so i changed out the brake light switch as suggested by merlintec and everything is now A-OK.

Jeepster51
jeepster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.