Mystery Front Brake Issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mystery Front Brake Issue?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
LeoSchultz

Mystery Front Brake Issue?

Hello,
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2. I have just replaced all the calipers, and the passenger side wheel bearing and hub assembly. When i drive it over 50 miles per hour, the front passenger side wheel feels like it is braking by itself.. WHAT could this be? This has been an issue for about 6 months now and Im out of things I can think of. Please any advise would be great!

LeoSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Bad tire? Front end way out of alignment? I've heard (never witnessed) of the rubber portion of the brake line coming apart inside and not allowing the brake fluid to retreat after releasing the brake.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

The little sliders where the brake pads rest develop a notch that shouldn't be there. Is yours so bad that the pad is forced against the rotor? I ground the "shoulders" of the grooves off in an effort to allow the pads to move back and forth unhindered.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
LeoSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill888 View Post
The little sliders where the brake pads rest develop a notch that shouldn't be there. Is yours so bad that the pad is forced against the rotor? I ground the "shoulders" of the grooves off in an effort to allow the pads to move back and forth unhindered.
I believe there is a notch, I thought it was susposed to be there I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can do about it.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

If there is a notch, repairing it is relatively easy. Just fill in the notches with a welder and grind it flat. I've already done my rear brakes, just haven't gotten around to doing the front.
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
LeoSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
If there is a notch, repairing it is relatively easy. Just fill in the notches with a welder and grind it flat. I've already done my rear brakes, just haven't gotten around to doing the front.
I have another question: can I remove the front axle shaft to turn this into a two wheel drive temporarily? Or is there more I have to do?
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSchultz View Post
I have another question: can I remove the front axle shaft to turn this into a two wheel drive temporarily? Or is there more I have to do?
Yes, but front drive shaft, not axle shaft. Sounds like a sticky caliper to me. Or collapsed brake line.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
LeoSchultz

A colasped brake line would cause this even after I have not pressed the brake for over 5 miles before hitting 50 mph?
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
A colasped brake line would cause this even after I have not pressed the brake for over 5 miles before hitting 50 mph?
Over time the rubber lines to the calipers develop a bubble that can intermittently stop flow. I say its a bad caliper still.

This happens randomly while driving even when not braking?
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
LeoSchultz

Yea. Its random. The brakes function normally otherwise. No other issues with the brakes.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yea. Its random. The brakes function normally otherwise. No other issues with the brakes.
Swap in a new caliper to rule it out. Cheap, fast and easy. Inspect the rubber line while your down there. I can't think of anything else that would make the pad drag on its own besides the grooves mentioned before.
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
LeoSchultz

Ok. Will definitely do that. Could a bad CV cause the same thing to happen? And IF I take out the front drive shaft, will that change the towing capacity?
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

If a CV actually broke apart, it could lock up the wheel, but you never mentioned that it seized completely. Sounds like a brake issue.

I don't see how that could affect towing capacity. But you do have all time 4wd with that transfer case, so don't drive off the road.

Why are you removing the front shaft anyway?
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
LeoSchultz

It was just a thought, I was wondering if you can.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #15
LeoSchultz

And no, it has not seized up at all, just the grabbing issue. I need to find a welder and grinder so I can fix the groove and replace the rubber brake line and then we shall see what's going on.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.