my ZJ w/photos ~ build sheet ~ and progress... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > my ZJ w/photos ~ build sheet ~ and progress...

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #61
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_jeep View Post

oh --- something that keeps going bad on these?
From what I hear I mean you can change it if it gets to bad.

xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #62
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
From what I hear I mean you can change it if it gets to bad.
thanks, i'll talk to the mechanic next time i'm over there... i think that is why the previous owner installed the wheel locker
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #63
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

hola jeep crew, picked this up couple of months ago for my bikes instead of a trailer, at least for now...

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #64
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

going to be replacing my stock radio with this older model Clarion... sure it will be tons better then the fade-out unit i have now...

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #65
BoostinBubba
1993 ZJ 

NVM, just realized this thread is 5 pages and I only read the original post...
BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #66
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

so ordered my install kit from crutchfield and a wire harness for clarion unit from ebay....
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #67
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

had to order more stuff for the radio install

sleeve and a new wire harness for after-market radio --- one i got earlier did not have the fuse, so i went ahead and ordered one with it to be in compliance (should have done so in the first place)
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #68
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

ready for the swap-out....

Unread 11-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #69
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

got the new radio installed, was a little tight with the new harness but it fit

Unread 11-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #70
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Very nice! I put a Sony deck in mine.

Next you will want to change out the speakers. I ran the stock for a couple months. Really wish I hadn't. Crutchfield has Blaupunkt and Jensen speakers that fit perfect (besides needing four screws instead of three for stock) and sound SOOOO much better. I put the Jensens in the rear doors for the added bass and the Blaupunkts in the front for the full range. If your dash tweeters aren't making any noise, run them. I haven't found anything that will fit that sound better enough to warrant the cost/PITA to install them.

The one thing I did quite different was I put a 160W Pioneer home stereo powered subwoofer in the cargo area and powered it with a Harbor Freight 400W inverter. Ran RCA cables from the head unit down under the center console and the rear seats to the sub.

Makes SOO much difference.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #71
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Ran RCA cables from the head unit down under the center console and the rear seats to the sub.
Dammit why didn't I think of that I ran mine across the passenger side opposite from the power(on the drivers side).
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #72
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Main reason I swapped out the radio was because the stock one kept fading out and buttons didn't work all too well, as I mentioned this thing was sitting in my garage for years so its noting special or new but it is way better and does have some cool options. The mega bass is sick, and you are right speakers might be next on the to do list, they work fine but could be much better. Thanks for the suggestion

If I can ask, how difficult was the speaker swap out job?

I will have to take a look at your recommendations but know for sure I don't want to spend too much, how pricy were they?
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #73
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

very easy to swap if you have stock speakers you might have to drill some holes in your door as the factory holes wont line up. That being said im sure someone else will prove me wrong.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #74
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The ones I'm running were $24 with free shipping (which I can no longer find on their site).

The biggest pain was getting the door panels off in one piece without breaking any of those damned little plastic retaining plugs. I finally swallowed my pride and let the local car audio store install them for $40 each pair. Well worth it to know the install was done right. I tried doing it myself on my last ZJ and I ended up having to put screws through the door panel to keep it secured to the door.

No offense to the audiophiles, but I'm too old to spend to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on speakers to get a 5% increase in sound quality when I can get most of the way there for $40.00. Especially in a 16 year old vehicle that I only paid $600 for that has the distinct possibility of ending up upside down in the rocks due to a ****ty spotter's misdirection...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #75
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Thanks, ill check crutchfiled, I know they are good quality and are very helpful to picking stuff and making sure to do it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.