my ZJ w/photos ~ build sheet ~ and progress... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > my ZJ w/photos ~ build sheet ~ and progress...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #31
Katesdad

Interesting setup. Could have used airbags with the 1000 lbs of shingles I hauled yesterday. That switch does spark some interest. Your 2 wd will go alot of places with a rear locker.

Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #32
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_jeep View Post
as to the locker...
would it be bad if i hit the switch to the ON position while, lets say, driving fast on the freeway?
anyone, please?
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Well I have no experience with lockers, but I would think it could do some some major damage. I think you would hear it if you did it and it did damage.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #34
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
anyone, please?

if i'm not mistaken and i don't have one but from what i understand about lockers especially air, is you must be stopped and when you turn it would cause both wheels to lock and you wouldn't be able to turn almost at all, but since it's in the rear it would act like a spool and you would have to break the tires a bit when you turn. not good on the axle and especially if you have a 35c rear end i wouldn't use it unless you have too. is your ride a v8 and what years?
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #35
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
if i'm not mistaken and i don't have one but from what i understand about lockers especially air, is you must be stopped and when you turn it would cause both wheels to lock and you wouldn't be able to turn almost at all, but since it's in the rear it would act like a spool and you would have to break the tires a bit when you turn. not good on the axle and especially if you have a 35c rear end i wouldn't use it unless you have too. is your ride a v8 and what years?
I6 / 1995

i drove into some mud yesterday with one wheel and without the button stepped on the gas and the one wheel was spinning while the other wanted to grab the road, then with the button turned on i did the same and both wheels acted the same way and out the mud we went...
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #36
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Definitely a locker then. Nice upgrade!! Wish I had one in mine.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #37
sadass
1998 ZJ 

Lockers should not be used on pavement. not your type anywhy. you have a selectable locker. and It will only make handling worse on wet pavement and add exccesive rear tire ware, not to mention a d35c is not set up to handle that appication well. and sure, a full time locker like power tracks lock-rite will ratch/override and alow for cornering to prevent what I have stated, but selectables do not! both axles are locked together and tires will not turn at differnt speeds when cornering. and as stated before MOST selectables will not allow you to engage above a certain speed. seriously, the only time you should use it on the road is if you cant make it without, i.e snow . off pavement no problem.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #38
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

I dont understand the whole airbag switch with the PSI monitor. Airbags as suspension airbags or airbags as the ones that deploy in a car accident?

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #39
JCZJ
1998 ZJ 

suspension airbags...they sit inside the springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
She can XJ my WJ whenever and however she wants. Hell, I'd let her CJ it, too.
JCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #40
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
Lockers should not be used on pavement. not your type anywhy. you have a selectable locker. and It will only make handling worse on wet pavement and add exccesive rear tire ware, not to mention a d35c is not set up to handle that appication well. and sure, a full time locker like power tracks lock-rite will ratch/override and alow for cornering to prevent what I have stated, but selectables do not! both axles are locked together and tires will not turn at differnt speeds when cornering. and as stated before MOST selectables will not allow you to engage above a certain speed. seriously, the only time you should use it on the road is if you cant make it without, i.e snow . off pavement no problem.
reason i asked is because the swtich is right there next to the gear shifter and the passanger side, and if by accident the switch was hit i wanted to know what would happen, not me turning it ON on purspose for no reason....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirus89 View Post
I dont understand the whole airbag switch with the PSI monitor. Airbags as suspension airbags or airbags as the ones that deploy in a car accident?
suspension airbags to lift the back end while towing....
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #41
sadass
1998 ZJ 

IF you are on the road and it happens, you probably wont even notice until you turn hard, like left or right on a street, or in a parking lot, you will feel the back wheels hopping and jerking as when you turn left lets say, your in board tire follows a shorter path , thus with an open diff it would allow left to turn at a slower rate, where a locker locks both sides together and the inboard tire will break traction and hopp due to the tourqe applied evenly to both tires, that is why you will ware the tires rapidly and it puts excess ware on the drive train. you will also notice that if you are on the skinny pedel and turn when it is wet you will have the *** end kick out, in stead of just one tire breaking loose as an open diff would, a locker they both will. bottom line is nothing detramental should happen. just turn it off as soon as you notice it, and you will ,like i said, turning.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #42
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

cool, thanks...
i was going to make something to go over the switch so it can't be pressed by mistake... but haven't given too much thought to what it would be...
Unread 11-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #43
zippome
2000 WJ 

Quote:
cool, thanks...
i was going to make something to go over the switch so it can't be pressed by mistake... but haven't given too much thought to what it would be...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062493

how about this? thats what i would do
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #44
sandman
1993 ZJ 

it wont hurt anything. but to minamize tire wear and retain good street manners the locker shouldnt be enguaged on pavement.
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #45
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

After reading this thread it seems to there is too much concern about the locker engaging during some street driving. It is a concern because if it activates at the wrong time (say on a curved overpass in the rain) then you could end up having the rear end slip out a bit. If you can't compensate by counter-steering then you will be in big trouble.

I however would not worry about it.... just keep your hands away from the switch until you really need it. I've owned two auto lockers in the past and have not had any problems with them at all - even though they have locked up unexpectedly just like the situation above.

I had a full detroit in my discovery and now have a powertrax no slip in my ZJ. Both have worked phenomenally off road and were well behaved on road (except when you make hard turns or u-turns or back out of a parking spot while turning the wheel all the way.) Then you'll hear some wierd stuff from the detroit but the no-slip is much quiter. Anyway, enjoy the locker dude! If you have good traction tires for offroad - Like BFG mud terrains and a lift, you will likely be able to punish most un-locked 4x4s out there. My buddies are locked as am I and we have lots of fun messing around in 2WD... hell, we've gotten many open-diffed 4x4s out of mudholes and other obstacles in 2WD!!! Having a locker is a HUGE advantage and I'll take it in a 2WD rear end over an open-diffed 4x4 anyday. This is all hypothetical of course as in reality I would buy the 4x4 and within a week or two get the locker installed in it!! Happy wheeling in your 2WD... you'll be surprised at what your vehicle is capable of vs. open diffed 4x4s (provided that the driver you compete with is not too advanced of course.)
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.