My very first and almost official '97 ZJ Jeep build..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 141 Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

My very first and almost official '97 ZJ Jeep build.....

OK this is going to be slow.... I have the candle burning at both ends. Getting ready for the wife to retire with:
1.) Remodeling this home so we can sell, move and build a new home on our property 25 miles south of Lake Tahoe in mountains.

2.) I have to do a remote quad airbag setup on our Tug Boat (OBS '96 Ford 4x4 Power Stroke F-250)...

3.) I'm getting the BedRock Bronco ready to repaint and sell come spring...

I'll start with this..... I'm still putting info together so I can make a proper WISH LIST of our perfect ZJ for medium trails and hunting....
It may not be what you would build but I will explain my reasons as I go....
For the way we will use this new adventure toy it will work for us!

Stay tuned if interested and go look at my gallery for some Early Bronco's I have built for friends over the last 20 years....

I will be putting the ZJ in there as well ....
Name:  97 Jeep.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  27.3 KB

Nothing is foolproof...to a sufficiently talented fool....
In Life.... Don't forget to stop and eat the roses!

Even if you are on the right track.... You'll get run over if ya just sit there!

I will always be Bronco Barney But now we own a Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

Wish list so far... and in no order but after talking to Nick at Kolak and after I told him what and how we will be using our ZJ I decided on some of the IRO stuff from him...

BUT THIS LIST MAY CHANGE ACCORDING TO MY MOOD... AND REALITY!

WISH LIST SO FAR:
1.) ZJ 3.5" Premium Lift Kit w/ Heavy Duty Adjustable Control Arms

2.) Bilstein shocks

3.) 5/8" Heavy Duty Over The Knuckle Steering

4.) 16x7 OEM (non Jeep) alloy wheels with 4" backspacing and Hydrographic camo dipped. I have a set of 4 now but I'm waiting to see if something else comes up.... I have my sources looking now for something better... No I'm not going to tell you yet what I found...

When I get the wheels I will use I'll post a pic of them...They will be the first thing I do so it will inspire me to get other stuff done!

5.) Maybe some BB RocKrusher bumpers and RockerSkates...

6.) Some kind of TrailProof Camo style paint 'fer the old girl.... No probably not a BedRock Jeep.... But you never know.... There is a Granite BedRock CJ5 running around with my paint on it...

7.) 265x75x16 load range C tires.... Not sure of what yet...

8.) Unibody frame Stiffeners...

9.) New drive shafts most likely Tom Woods as I have used his for EB'z I build...

10.) Iron D44 rear end or a Ford 8.8 with a Truetrac diff

11.) .... Stay Tuned!

This thread will be for The Build.... not any repairs/ fixes needed unless it is something to do the build with.

Name:  Keep Right.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  176.0 KB

Even if you are on the right track.... You'll get run over if ya just sit there!

post #3 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepers creeperz View Post
Wish list so far... and in no order but after talking to Nick at Kolak and after I told him what and how we will be using our ZJ I decided on some of the IRO stuff from him...

BUT THIS LIST MAY CHANGE ACCORDING TO MY MOOD... AND REALITY!

WISH LIST SO FAR:
1.) ZJ 3.5" Premium Lift Kit w/ Heavy Duty Adjustable Control Arms

2.) Bilstein shocks

3.) 5/8" Heavy Duty Over The Knuckle Steering

4.) 16x7 OEM (non Jeep) alloy wheels with 4" backspacing and Hydrographic camo dipped. I have a set of 4 now but I'm waiting to see if something else comes up.... I have my sources looking now for something better... No I'm not going to tell you yet what I found...

When I get the wheels I will use I'll post a pic of them...They will be the first thing I do so it will inspire me to get other stuff done!

5.) Maybe some BB RocKrusher bumpers and RockerSkates...

6.) Some kind of TrailProof Camo style paint 'fer the old girl.... No probably not a BedRock Jeep.... But you never know.... There is a Granite BedRock CJ5 running around with my paint on it...

7.) 265x75x16 load range C tires.... Not sure of what yet...

8.) Unibody frame Stiffeners...

9.) New drive shafts most likely Tom Woods as I have used his for EB'z I build...

10.) Iron D44 rear end or a Ford 8.8 with a Truetrac diff

11.) .... Stay Tuned!

This thread will be for The Build.... not any repairs/ fixes needed unless it is something to do the build with.
If you want a true 3.5" lift and plan to run steel bumpers with winch and tire carrier then plan for maybe 1" of sag. Maybe a 4.5" would work better for you.
post #4 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

Thanks PP.... Yes Nick and I talked about that as well so I have to see just what I will do about bumpers still. They have a 97 at the JY I went to yesterday so I'm going back Monday just to check on how the rear end is done to design a bumper. I ran out of time after getting all the other "booty" I came home with...

They also have another 97 I will check with no front cover on to look at as well. I'll take my camera so I can remind myself as I sit at home and think about design.... EB's are so much easier to build bumpers for! I had never ran a winch on our EB ( never needed it) but did put 1 on a EB I did a bumper for.
Rocker panel should be a bunch easier to build....

Oh no! The wife just asked "WHAT are you doing?"...
So I told her I was doing a WISH LIST for the Jeep ....
She asked if she could see it.... So I told not yet and she said "WHY?".....
So I showed her the Keep Right photo and told her I wanted to surprise her.....
We have been married for 30+ years so she said NOTHING will surprise her and I better do a retirement WISH LIST before the Jeep! UH OH!.... Silly women! Ya sleep wit'em and they think they ownz ya!
Name:  evil_smile-416.gif
Views: 208
Size:  3.1 KB

post #5 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Are you going to do the 2x6 rockers or just tube sliders?
post #6 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Lol Gepers creeperz! Don't you hate it when 'the hammer' looks over your shoulder! My wife just did the same thing and laughed like heck when she saw your user name. Jeepers Creepers are some of her favorite movies!

Sounds like we have a few things in common and my wife will also retire in a couple weeks like I have been for a while. My kids and grandkids are in SoCal where we may eventually end up if we can afford it. Lucky you not being in the salt/rust belt. I used to have a bunch of friends with the early Broncos along with Scouts.

My 96 4.0 Laredo is the same green color as your 97 5.2. Is that a Limited and would assume so because of the wheels? I wonder if all wheels/tires went to 16" on the 97-98 vs the 15" on my 96?

Good luck with your build which I'll be following!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #7 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

Yep Uni... Not sure about Jeep history but ours is a Limited and came with 16x7's. You can see the build sheet on another post... Ours came with anything that could be ordered (I guess) and was a 1 owner CA. car... It also has the Up Country suspension. (I hope not for too long)

As far as moving to So Cal.... we bought property in northern Nevada about 7 hrs. from So Cal. I did not want to retire in CA. as we have state income tax.... But at least for now Nevada does not have state income tax.

The wife has 7 brothers & sisters and all in CA. so we wanted to be only a day away drive to come and see. I was born here and its a great place with great weather but life is too fast, people in too big of a hurry and Traffic stinks! I have a cousin here but most of my relatives live in TX, OK, MO, AR.
I'm ready to get out!
Name:  97 GC 2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  208.8 KB

post #8 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

TJ...
I have another idea that we used on EB's back when I was in the business.... I need to cut a cross section out of a rocker front to rear to see if it will work as easy as the EB rockers did.... So its off the the JY to cut up a rocker panel.... sometime soon. I'll have to buy a rechargeable Sawsall to get it done...$$$ I may see if I can rent one...

BTW those are not our plates as I had to turn them in to DMV.

post #9 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 09:54 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you're thinking what I think your thinking, it's not that bad.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #10 of 141 Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

No not that but it lets me see whats up with inside the rocker... I see the B pillar post goes all the down to the bottom... How do you like the Ryobi sawsall?? I looked at them today but did not buy one...

post #11 of 141 Old 11-15-2015, 12:38 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The a pillar has already been cut out in that picture. It extends down as far as the b pillar does in the front.

The ryobi is quite good. I bought it for trail repairs and light duty work cordless but it quickly replaced my heavy corded makita altogether.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #12 of 141 Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

They have a great deal on the ONE+ 4 pc. system tools right now so I was tempted as I bought the wife a small ONE+ blower that is light and easy for her to use. I keep thinking about the longer stroke length that some of the more expensive ones have....but they are larger and heavier.... I may still by the 4 pc. set for now and try it out bc its such a great deal! Thanks for the info.

post #13 of 141 Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I have a HD Milwaukee corded sawz-all which is a beast. But don't even use it anymore since buying a Porter-cable 4-piece kit which came with a battery powered sawz-all. I'm sure it's probably more pricey than the Ryobi kit but the point is this is probably one of the most convenient portable power tools you can buy.

The shorter stroke doesn't hardly mean anything if you put a good blade on it. And it you put a long aggressive wood blade on it there's nothin' better/more convenient for pruning low hanging branches off trees!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #14 of 141 Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gepers creeperz

1997 ZJ 

Ryobi 4 pc was $129. and since I have a ONE+ blower I'll maybe go with that. I looked at a 4 pc. DeWalt at $169.00 and this may work out for me as we since I have a DW drill already....
Porter I do not own and like to have extra batteries that interchange so the first 2 will maybe what I go with....

BTW I have a HD Milwaukee corded sawz-all and yes it was a beast but I talked to the Rep at HD and he gave me a # for their service to see if I can get parts for it since it broke.... I also have a corded Craftsman corded and it works good so if the Milwaukee costs too much to fix I'll have that one.

post #15 of 141 Old 11-15-2015, 01:51 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Between the swazall and the impact wrench, I love my ryobi stuff. The angle grinder isn't as heavy duty as I'd like, but it works well for little stuff.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.