My turn for an overheating problem! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My turn for an overheating problem!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

My turn for an overheating problem!

Cranked the jeep this morning let it warm up like always. Let it run maybe 5-6 mins. Got in and cool air was blowing out of the vents with the heat on. Also noticed it was getting a tad above 200 degrees, which is normal once I'm on the road, but not when it's only been running a few minutes!

After I got on the road hot air started coming out. As I got close to work I noticed the temp hand slowly moving over to 260. It would get to the red and then go back over toward 200. Did this a few times.

I'll let it sit all weekend and work on it Monday. Sound like a stuck thermostat?

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
Obv

1997 ZJ 

Check the coolant level.

Examine the fan clutch.

Check the water pump for leakage.

Ever replace the radiator cap?

Replace the thermostat.

12 things to do when your ZJ stalls by ZeeJay1997
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
SCZJ

1994 ZJ 

@JasonStebbins: Thanks for the advice. The coolant level was low due to the leak. The fan clutch seemed to be fine; no free spinning, plenty of resistance. It ended up being the water pump. The bearings were shot!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.