My transfer case is just a very angry little box...(NP242) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My transfer case is just a very angry little box...(NP242)

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

My transfer case is just a very angry little box...(NP242)

A Jeep isn't a Jeep without 4WD, but my Jeep's 4WD has anger issues.
I'm having one main issue since buying the Jeep and that is after using 4WD Full Time (never once used/needed Part Time, Neutral, or Low) almost every time after shifting back to 2WD it's near impossible to turn the steering wheel while moving, if I can get it to turn the tires skip, scream, drag, etc, no matter how small the turn and going in a straight line it's like I'm pulling a tractor trailer. I have found two remedies to this; my "old" fix was to keep my foot hard on the brake and rev the engine in Reverse-Drive-Reverse-Drive and somewhere between shifting back and forth I'll feel something pop/click free. My new way I found to do it is shift back to 2WD and push real hard till the lever goes past the 2WD mark and about...80% of the time it goes back to 2WD, when it doesn't I resort to the old method.
Now I know with what I just said it sure sounds like the shift linkage needs adjustment but I wanted to get an opinion here first as the dealership and I are good friends, if I come in telling them something simple like I need the shift linkage adjusted they'll do it for free during an oil change. Don't ask me why but ever since they met me they've practically begged me to sell my Jeep so they kiss up a lot. I find it quite weird but saves me getting shouted at by my apartment complex for vehicle repair.

That is the main question but also as one side note I made the mistake of shifting to 4WD Full Time while moving and had a spare tire different model and tread depth (100% compared to 40%) and instantly it was like that tractor trailer was tied to me again and their was an extremely loud whine coming from the T-case. After much yanking at the shifter, starting stopping engine, forward and reverse driving, I was able to hit the shifter hard enough and went back to 2WD with no noticeable issues, that was 3000miles ago and 4WD still works fine. My question out of that is, did I unnoticeably damage something and turn my T-case into a time bomb or is it pretty tough and doesn't care?

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment and instead of going into 2wd it's going into 4 part time which should not be used on pavement. As you know if it was in 2wd the front tires wouldn't be getting power.
I doubt you broke anything shifting into full time with a different size tire for a very short time since it's gear driven and doesn't have a VC. Since the spare was smaller the T case thought it was slipping since it was rotating faster and was sending all the power to that one wheel. I wouldn't do it again though.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment and instead of going into 2wd it's going into 4 part time which should not be used on pavement. As you know if it was in 2wd the front tires wouldn't be getting power.
I doubt you broke anything shifting into full time with a different size tire for a very short time since it's gear driven and doesn't have a VC. I wouldn't do it again though.
I forgot to mention that when that happened it did this the second it hit 4WD Part Time, I pulled it the rest of the way to Full Time but it didn't change anything and was very difficult to move the lever. It was raining and I was starting to slide on the road so I waited for a straight patch of road to safely shift through Part to Full Time but forgot I had my spare on the front drivers side the day before, I was only doing about 40MPH but it still was not happy at all.

Last edited by herqulees; 06-20-2013 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: forgot comma
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I guess you won't know until you get the linkage fixed and try it out. Maybe you should swap in a 249.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I guess you won't know until you get the linkage fixed and try it out. Maybe you should swap in a 249.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I don't like the idea of "I'm using up my 4WD every time I take a turn or one of my tires is a PSI low", not calling it bad exactly, I just want IMO real gear driven 4WD.
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herqulees View Post
I don't like the idea of "I'm using up my 4WD every time I take a turn or one of my tires is a PSI low", not calling it bad exactly, I just want IMO real gear driven 4WD.

It sounds like you "used up" plenty of your 4wd already thrashing your 242 running full time with a smaller tire than the rest and driving around on pavement in 4 part time.
Also "used up" your 4wd really doesn't apply here since when the 249 VC fails it fails in 4wd so that you are basically using 4 part time all the time. So essentially traction off road improves with a failing 249.
You should be checking your tires once per week anyways. The 249's full time 4wd is far superior than the 242.
The 242 full time is basically an open diff in full time so if one tire loses traction it sends all the power to that one tire. So if that tire is off the ground, the jeep won't move.

Cheers
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Lub the hell out of the linkage. It should shift smooth and with hardly any force.
Mine was stiff for years when I got it and thought it was just the nature of the system. When it started hanging up, like you describe, I got it working with rust penetrate and plenty of oil.
You want to check or change the fluid with +4 if you've been beating the 4 wheel. It should be changed periodically anyway.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Polka is probably right about the adjustment. Leave it in full time until you get it fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.