Is my track bar shot?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is my track bar shot??

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
BULLITTBUilder
1999 WJ 

Is my track bar shot??

Ok, so it's raining and dark out and I don't feel like getting wet at the moment. So, here's what's going on, for a few weeks I've been hearing a clunking noise from the front suspension. I had no idea where it could be coming from. It's not the drag link (new ends) not the tie rod (checked em, no clunk). I'm starting to run out of possibilities now. I had checked the track bar but I thought it was ok. Tonight on my way home the clunk was more pronounced and it sounded like it was coming from over by the passenger side of the front suspension. I'm thinking its the track bar. The clunk happens on turns, one direction only and i think it may be left could be wrong I'm tired. Sometimes it happens during suspension travel. I'm probably forgetting somewhere, let me know.

BULLITTBUilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Track bar (or where it mounts to the axle) is a good possiblility.
Unfortunatly, nobody can tell you for sure without crawling under there in person to check it out.
Look at the bracket on the front axle. The hole in that bracket is known to oval out, causing the track bar to shift and 'clunk' in turns....and cause DW.

Wheeler/Beater: 93 ZJ Laredo
4.0, AW4, 231 conversion from 249
3" coil lift, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Quicker Discos, KOR lwr rad supt, Brush guard
Colorado Jeep Club Member 242 (4.0L)
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
sandman
1993 ZJ 

could be swaybar bushings. check the links.
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch underneath. Watch for slop in either end of the track bar.

Do it with the tires on the ground and the Jeep off so there is no power assist to the steering.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

i already told you my story about my trackbar...had same symptoms, and my bolt was tight that mounts to the driverside, but when i removed it it was bent so i replaced it and it went away..give it a whirl
Unread 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Track bar (or where it mounts to the axle) is a good possiblility.
Unfortunatly, nobody can tell you for sure without crawling under there in person to check it out.
Look at the bracket on the front axle. The hole in that bracket is known to oval out, causing the track bar to shift and 'clunk' in turns....and cause DW.

Thats exactly what happened to me. But, when the clunking went away, the DW started.
USN Jeep Club #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Fuzz View Post
On a 1-10 scale, I give it.... Tits.
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
Thats exactly what happened to me. But, when the clunking went away, the DW started.
Happened to me too. And years ago to my dad's Dakota with a d30 in front. The shop I took it to, to have a washer welded on, told me they see this issue commonly.

Wheeler/Beater: 93 ZJ Laredo
4.0, AW4, 231 conversion from 249
3" coil lift, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Quicker Discos, KOR lwr rad supt, Brush guard
Colorado Jeep Club Member 242 (4.0L)
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.