My Repair Thread Disguised As A Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Repair Thread Disguised As A Build Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #91
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post
I suppose so. Lol. I understand the go fast stuff too. That's what my Daytona is for. It's nice to play around with different goals when modifying cars. I would play around with the heads a bit if you're not afraid to tear the engine apart. That's where you will get the most power. Have a machine shop port and polish, get bigger valves, custom cam, custom intake, etc. Might be around the same price as a supercharger when it's tuned but it will probably have fewer issues long term(superchargers longevity is usually not near that of a properly maintained engine). And IMHO you can't beat the sound of a v8 idling with a big ol' cam in it
That's an even better idea... I talked to my auto teacher and he said turbos and SC's are a lot of fun, but for the time being, I should just stick to a solid port and polish. I'm thinking of even doing it myself. I'm also waffling pretty good on the performance/speed build or offroad. I don't want to beat the p*** out of it, but I do love me some wheeling on the weekend... So I may just do both. Port and polish, add a Durango air hat (thank you Polka Power) and then focus on a lift/armor/tires. I'm more familiar with lifts and offroad than I am with speed, and even my knowledge in the offroad theater is pretty limited. So we will see I guess. Also I don't like the look of a lot of the "street" ZJ's. Too ricey! I like being able to pull up behind a ricer and be at eye-level with the top of their wing and still be able to keep up, even with huge tires and added weight

We will see I guess...

Unread 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #92
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Lmao. O the ricers... I agree with you. The slight power upgrades would be great for keeping up with 95% of vehicles on the road but you want that thing to look mean too! I vote little of both
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #93
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I like the yellow badges man! Wasn't sure if I liked it or not at first, but i do! Mine are blue!

I wanna get one a those mopar stickers but un black, can't find one anywhere.
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #94
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
I like the yellow badges man! Wasn't sure if I liked it or not at first, but i do! Mine are blue!

I wanna get one a those mopar stickers but un black, can't find one anywhere.
I saw your blue ones in your build thread quite a while ago and really liked 'em I figured I would change it up and go with yellow instead of the green/red/blue/pink all my friends were doing on their trucks. Plus I've always liked a yellow/black combo.

As for the Mopar stickers: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97467577257

I don't remember the dimensions of mine (either 12" or 15"), but this one comes in black. That would look sweet on your rig!
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #95
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Decided to make me some disco's this afternoon! Grabbed two tine pins (3"x7/16), two cotter pins (fit the tine pins) and 4 washers (7/16) for a grand total of $7.xx at Lowes. Installed and I get this:

Before disco's:

After disco's:

Needless to say, I am STOKED!!

Also took out my soundbar in the back The PO had some funky-a** setup where he had drilled into the roof of the Jeep with sheet metal screws because the soundbar's center nut had come out/gotten lost/idk what the f*** he was thinking, so he drilled holes. Drilled. Holes. In a niner! Anyway, it was rattling and squeaking every time I hit the tiniest bump in the road (it was maddening on dirt roads) so I had to take it down until I find a center-nut for it. G********. PO's are stupid

Here's a crappy phone picture of the nut that isn't there and the space where it is supposed to go:

And I took my spare starter apart today. Should probably have cleaned it while it was in pieces, but this was the first time I had taken a starter apart, so I was really just testing the waters before I got too in-depth in cleaning the thing. Probably a good thing I waited too... Managed to put it all back together again, but it took me a solid hour, maybe more. Oh well, a learning experience.

Random pic of my starter? Sure, why not?

Ugh. Been a productive day with Asteria. Oh yeah, I decided to name her. Again. First was Morpheus, but then I decided that was too... Mainstream? Idk, people kept calling it the Matrix Jeep, so I changed it. Asteria is the Greek goddess of falling stars and night oracles (). I just liked the name and the falling stars part of her "job description".

Cheers!
-Evan
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #96
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Lookin' good! My girlfriend actually works up there in Helena, if my Jeep ever gets good enough to make the trek we should do some wheeling!
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #97
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Hell yeah! I need better tires before I do any wheeling, but I'd be down haha anyway, where does your GF work? That must be one helluva commute to get from Bozo to Hel-town every day. Or does she stay here? My history teacher last year did that; stayed in Helena for the week to teach, go back to Bozeman for the weekends. He was loaded though...
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #98
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Aw hell! I just noticed you were (are?) 11B! I'm 11X! Shipping for Ft. Benning end of July for Basic/Jump/Rangers! OIF too huh? That musta been pretty hairy in places...
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #99
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue
Aw hell! I just noticed you were (are?) 11B! I'm 11X! Shipping for Ft. Benning end of July for Basic/Jump/Rangers! OIF too huh? That musta been pretty hairy in places...
Sweet! I too was an 11x back in the day. I went through Sand Hill in June-August 2006. I got out in 2010 and am now in my last two weeks of college. May reup and do Cav Scout. Good luck! Benning in the Summer isn't fun, but not as bad as a lot of people say if you're in shape. Just drink lots of water and drive on! Doing the Ranger Contract thing is two fold: one one hand, you're already used to rucking and sucking from OSUT and jump school, so it's not as bad as guys who have gotten lazy over time in their unit. On the other hand, you're more prone to injury so make sure you maintain your body - especially your feet. OSUT, Ranger School and Selection have little to do with strength and everything to do with mental willpower. Good luck!

I was in Baquba and Mosul in Iraq. Quite the wild west.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #100
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska View Post
Sweet! I too was an 11x back in the day. I went through Sand Hill in June-August 2006. I got out in 2010 and am now in my last two weeks of college. May reup and do Cav Scout. Good luck! Benning in the Summer isn't fun, but not as bad as a lot of people say if you're in shape. Just drink lots of water and drive on! Doing the Ranger Contract thing is two fold: one one hand, you're already used to rucking and sucking from OSUT and jump school, so it's not as bad as guys who have gotten lazy over time in their unit. On the other hand, you're more prone to injury so make sure you maintain your body - especially your feet. OSUT, Ranger School and Selection have little to do with strength and everything to do with mental willpower. Good luck!

I was in Baquba and Mosul in Iraq. Quite the wild west.
Mosul huh? IIRC, that region got pretty nasty. Wild West is right! The military must be paying for college? That's what I'm relying on for a degree in criminal justice. Gonna be a sheriffs deputy either in Helena or Bozeman. Thanks for the info man!
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #101
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep, Mosul was quite the experience. I am currently using the Post 9/11 GI Bill that pays for 4 years of college and I get a housing allowance of about $1150 a month (E-5 BAH).
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #102
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
I saw your blue ones in your build thread quite a while ago and really liked 'em I figured I would change it up and go with yellow instead of the green/red/blue/pink all my friends were doing on their trucks. Plus I've always liked a yellow/black combo.

As for the Mopar stickers: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97467577257

I don't remember the dimensions of mine (either 12" or 15"), but this one comes in black. That would look sweet on your rig!
Hahaha! Sweet dude! Thanks for the link! I'ma get me that next paycheck.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #103
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska View Post
Yep, Mosul was quite the experience. I am currently using the Post 9/11 GI Bill that pays for 4 years of college and I get a housing allowance of about $1150 a month (E-5 BAH).
Niiiiiice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Hahaha! Sweet dude! Thanks for the link! I'ma get me that next paycheck.
No problem! Glad I could help I'll be looking for 'em on your build thread haha
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #104
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Took a short trip down a bumpy road. Long story short, didn't make it 10 miles before the strange clunking in the front got the best of my paranoia. Couldn't figure out what was going on, so I flipped a U-ey in the middle of the road and crept back to town. It stopped on the interstate. On the way back to the interstate, though, my brakes were intermittent. Actually, instead of intermittent, it felt like the master cylinder was getting low on brake fluid. Brake peddle to the floor and not much response. So, got it home and up on some jacks:

As I was down there and taking off the drivers-side wheel, the caliper fell off So now I'm freaking the f*** out... Get to looking closer and realize that the passenger side looks right. Like this:

Where the drivers side looks like this:

Notice anything missing?

So! Ran to O'Reilly's in my dad's Subi and grabbed some new brakes and bolt retainer-thingy's for a grand total of like $48.xx.

Got back to Asteria and took the brake pads off. The drivers' side looked like this:

The old had uneven wear all around. I'm surprised I had any brakes at all...

All four:

And the new ones:

Got the new ones installed, and by this point it's dark because I didn't know I needed a C-clamp, so I had to run to the hardware store to grab that. Finally started AGAIN at 9:00 at night. Got the passenger side on without a hitch:

But when I got to the drivers' side, the lower retaining bolt would NOT go in! Top hole:

Bottom hole:

The previous bolt in the lower hole had sheared off inside, and it's flush. So I get to wait overnight before I can grab a left-hand 9/64 drill bit to drill the damn thing out

So that's how my day went. I get to go to bed pissed and stressed. Plus tomorrow is a city holiday of sorts. We celebrate vigilante-ism here. Google "helena vigilante day" and read up. Basically, it is the oldest student-run/student-led parade in the country. Odd, but it gets us out of school, so I ain't complainin'...

I want my Jeep to be ok again...
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #105
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Dang man that sucks. The price you pay for buying used is stupid previous owners lol. I experienced something similar. Noticed when I bought mine there was a sloshing sound when first accelerating after a cold start which means air in the heater core. Didn't really investigate it. Well now mine is in my garage getting a 242 case, 3.5 lift, rear main replacement and timing set replacement and I find a coolant leak between the tranny and motor... Turns out to be the heater core hose was broken and the PO spliced it right above where the antifreeze was coming from lol. I mean how much does a hose really cost that makes you splice it?! Freaking me out thinking it's a freeze plug or something... Plus keep in mind ur dealing with a 15-20 year old jeep here. XD good luck man
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.