My Repair Thread Disguised As A Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Repair Thread Disguised As A Build Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
That's why I'm relying on you guys a lot for this!
Note to self: Stick with what you know

ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
No, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to anything besides a 4.0. Never seen the hood opened on a 5.9
Oh, my bad, I though you were being sarcastic.

The 5.9's all came with a factory 2 speed e-fan setup instead of the normal fan clutch the 5.2 and 4.0's have. Pretty slick system as long as the fan motor doesnt screw up and lose the low speed setting due to worn brushes
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Oh, my bad, I though you were being sarcastic.
No, just ignorant! I dont get out much

I'm really glad you spoke up because the op could have gone out looking for one
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I'm really glad you spoke up because the op could have gone out looking for one
that woulda been great! "hey guys, I dont have enough room to mount this fan clutch and shroud.."

Unread 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
that woulda been great! "hey guys, I dont have enough room to mount this fan clutch and shroud.."

Bahahahaha I would've found for the spots where the previous bolts for the shroud were mounted before I looked for another one hahaha
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Ok found the E Fan!

On a different topic, the lift supports for the back hatch are shot. I'll post pictures of the big stick I have to hold it at the moment Do you guys know where I could get cheaper supports than from the local O'Reilly's? I'm on a pretty tight budget here. Still looking for a front DS too. Not doin' too well on that page... Also, what would you guys think of blacking it out? I like how it looks now, but I'm thinking further down the road. Rattle can the wheels black and VHT the tail lights. I know a lot of you are pretty strongly opposed to blacked out tail lights, but I liked it on my last ZJ, and I think it might look good on this one too.

I need to clean my drivers side mirror too. It's all browned out, and I think the auto-dimming function is shot to ****. I'll have to crack it open and clean all that crap out. Approx. how long does that take?

Last few notes, I think my drivers side CV Axle and front drivers shock are shot too. It clunks pretty good whenever I hit a bump (which is a LOT since there is snow on the roads and our city snow plows apparently don't plow snow routes up here) or when I make a hard right turn. That has been my previous indicator of a shot CV axle. The blown shock is just an educated guess at this point. I'm gonna try to reserve a spot in my school's shops to get the Jeep up on a lift and check out the underbelly of the beast and wheel wells before I start putting money where it might not be needed. Always best to cover all your bases and do your research before you start throwing money at dumb stuff.

Thoughts? Input?
-Evan
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Went through the 'ol niner again today. Decided to look a little closer at the clunking noise. My shock is looser than Madonna in the 90's. Gonna need to remove the shock to see exactly WHY the shock is so loose in the mount... Still not positive about the CV either. Might be bad, might not be. Also started in on the sound system tonight. The PO installed so much aftermarket equipment my head is spinning. There is so much wiring that doesn't really belong anywhere, I'm struggling to find a starting point. He also stripped all the connectors (M-F sockets, really). So I have a female for my speakers, just no male from the wiring. Any tips for creating a good Male connector?

Some progress on the Front DS too. 31" is what I need. Answered one of my questions at least.

Still need a name for the Jeep too! Any suggestions? My last one was the Big Blue Beast
Will update with pictures soon.

-Evan
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Oh yeah, forgot to add, is there any way to tweak shift points? I would like to stay in first and second just a little bit longer. What does this involve, given I can even do it at all? Sorry, might be a noob-ish question
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

I think you adjust the tv cable to tweak shift points
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjr91 View Post
I think you adjust the tv cable to tweak shift points
That's what I thought. Wasn't quite sure though. I'll have to do some tweaking and tuning and see how I like it.
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #26
jetjr91
1995 ZJ 

I knew I had it bookmarked somewhere

Maybe this will help you out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/th...tment-1356382/
jetjr91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #27
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I've seen that before. Bookmarked! Thanks man!
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

First one is, as promised, the stick I use to hold up the hatch. Second and third are of something having to do with the sound system that the PO put in. I have absolutely ZERO idea what this is, except that the power wire was screwed into the big hole in the back. I'll probably post something about it in Audio and Electrical just to cover all my bases, but I wanted to see if you guys knew anything about it first. Input would be awesome here!

Thanks!
-Evan
wp_000343.jpg   wp_000344.jpg   wp_000345.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #29
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Well... It seems I have some electrical gremlins
On the way to work (where I sit now, guarding an empty pool and essentially getting paid to b***h to you guys on JF), I noticed that the interior lights were flickering slightly. As I hit more bumps on the road, they would flicker more and more, getting more severe each time. I couldn't tell of the headlights were doing the same, since it wasn't dark enough to be able to see the beam itself. I'll check it out tonight on my way home. Of it keeps doing it, I need to disconnect the battery anyway. If not, great! I'm still disconnecting the battery

Anyone had any similar experience(s)? If so, how did ya'll fix it?

Also, gonna rewire my sound system in the next 48 hours or so. Cannot for the life of me figure out what the PO had set up. Dual amps, I know that much. So back to the ol' drawing board haha

-Evan
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The interior ligths flickering is a known problem caused by bad solder joints on the light control panel. I just redid them in my 96 and once I get the niner back it will get the same treatment. Take the light control panel (dash board left of the steering wheel to be clear) out, pull the white cover off the back and reheat all the solder points. Reinstall and it should be good to go.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.