My recent experience with spark plugs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

My recent experience with spark plugs

Hey all heres the scoop.
I recently decided to change the plugs on my 5.9 ZJ. Advance gave me some Champion RC12LC4's. Upon changing these, i tore 2 secondary ignition wire boots, so I got those brand new. All the sudden after a few days, it started running terribly at around 2k rpm under moderate throttle and load. Felt like a miss or severe ping, so initially i thought i was losing fuel signal or maybe spark signal (i had previous issues with my crank sensor, so i replaced that too). So after testing everything else to be good, i determined that she was being picky with plugs. So luckily i saved my old plugs for reference, which were NGK ZFR6F11's. Bought a set of those, threw em in and shes back to her old self, no missing, cutting out, backfire. I was amazed because i believe the Champions were only 1 heat range hotter over the NGK. So i know what im sticking to.

So everyone, my question for you is...
What spark plugs have worked best for you in your magnum motors?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Interesting. We just had a discussion about a month ago about the not-so-good quality control on Champion plugs lately. This isn't in regards to the magnum engines but Champion plugs in general.

Below is a photo Josh posted on his 4.0 Champion plugs and how the side electrode bends are 'all over the board' affecting the gap on some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...l#post38768345

Sure they'll probably work but guess the quality and tolerances of the NGK plugs are a lot better.

I have 8 brand new Champion plugs down my basement for my 04 4.7 WJ and I'm kinda noticing the same thing on looking at them closely. Guess it's not surprising since I've been seeing the Federal-Mogul owned parts companies (Champion, Moog, Wagner brakes, etc.) parts quality going down hill through the years.

That's a little different part number (ZFR6F11) you have for your NGK plugs and thought the 98 5.9 uses the NGK 7252 (FR5-1)? At least that's what Rockauto and the NGKplugs site is showing for the copper core NGK plugs.

Regardless, thanks for the info and glad to see the NGK plugs are making your 5.9 run a lot better.

PS. I just ordered 8 NGK copper plugs from Rockauto for my 4.7 WJ. I'll probably say phooey on those new Champion plugs I have since I'm trying to get rid of a miss. Not saying all those Champion plugs are bad but time for a change...

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Interesting. We just had a discussion about a month ago about the not-so-good quality control on Champion plugs lately. This isn't in regards to the magnum engines but Champion plugs in general.

Below is a photo Josh posted on his 4.0 Champion plugs and how the side electrode bends are 'all over the board' affecting the gap on some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...l#post38768345

Sure they'll probably work but guess the quality and tolerances of the NGK plugs are a lot better.

I have 8 brand new Champion plugs down my basement for my 04 4.7 WJ and I'm kinda noticing the same thing on looking at them closely. Guess it's not surprising since I've been seeing the Federal-Mogul owned parts companies (Champion, Moog, Wagner brakes, etc.) parts quality going down hill through the years.

That's a little different part number (ZFR6F11) you have for your NGK plugs and thought the 98 5.9 uses the NGK 7252 (FR5-1)? At least that's what Rockauto and the NGKplugs site is showing for the copper core NGK plugs.

Regardless, thanks for the info and glad to see the NGK plugs are making your 5.9 run a lot better.

PS. I just ordered 8 NGK copper plugs from Rockauto for my 4.7 WJ. I'll probably say phooey on those new Champion plugs I have since I'm trying to get rid of a miss. Not saying all those Champion plugs are bad but time for a change...
Yeah i think the zfr6f11 is just one heat range colder than stock. Runs great, i definitely plan on running them in the future. All my champions looked pretty ordinary, nothing remarkable in particular, but the NGK even look better constructed out of the box. Now for NTK O2 sensors!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I'm currently running NGK BKR6E on my niner, gapped to .035"

Edelbrock aluminum heads and mild cam. Jeep works a lot better with those plugs compared to the OEM- spec. Champion plugs. As for Champion quality: I had tightened all eight plugs with a torque wrench, according to Edelbrock specs. using copper paste/ anti-seize. They had been in my Jeep for just one year, and around 7k miles. Three of the plugs cracked to pieces when pulling them.

I know I'll be sticking with NGK plugs, no more Champion plugs for me..

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

Interesting because they switched over to NGK at some point on the WJ for the replacement OEM plugs. You can technically use either on the Jeep as long as they are copper core. The NGK are by far superior in quality.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 05:39 AM
jeepjeepster

This is certainly news to me. I've always read that champion plugs were the best to use in the 4.0/5.2/5.9.

Wasn't there a 400 page thread on the WK forum about the jeeps randomly shutting off? Seems some people were thinking the plugs were a possible cause... Not sure what the outcome was if there was one...

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
This is certainly news to me. I've always read that champion plugs were the best to use in the 4.0/5.2/5.9.

Wasn't there a 400 page thread on the WK forum about the jeeps randomly shutting off? Seems some people were thinking the plugs were a possible cause... Not sure what the outcome was if there was one...
As long as they are copper it's fine. My Acura factory plugs were NGK too. They are just made better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.