My rear clunk is coming from my transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My rear clunk is coming from my transfer case?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

My rear clunk is coming from my transfer case?

At least I think it is. I've had a clunk/thud that sounds like something is moving around in my cargo or back seat area since I bought the jeep. I figured it would go away when I did my 4.5" iro lift. It didn't.

I found that if you bounce the back bumper up and down a few inches you could get it to make the noise only much more softly than when you drive it.

I got my neighbor to bounce the bumper while I was under the jeep so that I could find the problem. I found out that the noise and thud are coming from the tcase. You can feel the thud in the driveshaft and tcase but not in any part of the suspension. The driveshaft only moves into the tcase about 1/4" since the suspension is only being compressed a couple inches. Also I can't seem to get it to make any noise or thuds by grabbing the drive line and trying to move things.

At first when I found all this I thought the ujoints were bad but I don't get any typical ujoint problems (vibration on decel, loose driveshaft, etc).

Anyone ever experience this?

jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Definitely sounds like either the U-joints or the slip joint needing grease. Mine was the slip joint, clunked on take-offs.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Definitely sounds like either the U-joints or the slip joint needing grease. Mine was the slip joint, clunked on take-offs.
Well mine doesn't clunk on takeoff, only makes noises when you hit a bump. I'll pull the driveshaft soon and check things out. Hopefully it's something small like the ujoints, I wasn't planning on a tcase swap anytime soon.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Check the condition of the transmission mount to, it's in that general area.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

check the transmission mount, ujoints, and make sure the mating splines of the tcase/driveshaft are lubricated

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.