Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My project

28K views 294 replies 46 participants last post by  Sporer65 
#1 · (Edited)
My project *I'M 4WD!*

Ok, so I thought that instead of cluttering this place with 300 threads about what I'm doing to my jeep...I thought I'd consolidate them kinda.

As for the lift parts....
v8 UC ZJ coils for the rear

With .75 inch spacers

and 4.5" RE front coils

And JKS front and rear Trackbars

All this to clear 32" MT/R's on 15x8x4bs Cragar Soft 8's

Waiting for the last couple parts to arrive so I can install the lift and tires starting this coming saturday night and finishing up memorial day monday.

COST
So here's a tally of the cost

AW4 (with torque converter and flexplate) - $150
231 out of a late 90's xj - $85
HP30 - $100 ($50 more for new balljoints)
Rear driveshaft - $70
Front driveshaft - $27
Dustshield - $50
tranny mount - ~$30
crossmember - $?
bellhousing bolts (2x grade 8 7/16x4.5) - $7
Torque converter bolts (M10x1.5x14) - $20
Fluids/filter for Tranny and TC - $70
Misc brackets - $30
Having to redo this project.....priceless. :)

See less See more
#29 ·
Varkyl said:
yeah it's all over now, but Charlie is still walking a little funny. :laugh:

I can't wait to see pics of the install and everything.
I can't wait to see it either!

Hahaha, I really did get raped on it, but yea it's not like I have to keep gettin tires mounted. I found out that night that a buddy of mine could have hooked me up with all that for under 50 bucks...oh well.

#31 ·
Doesn't is suck to have all the parts just sitting in your garage and not be able to get them installed yet?? I am still going thru that, I have a three row radiator, the KOR support, a header, a 62mm t-body and sliders. And now I have moy front drive axle back and I need to get sometime to work on it so it can be installed.

#33 ·
No parts, no pics, no 4x4.

Hunter

#35 ·
Charlie, it sure will be nice when it all comes together.

Hunter

#48 ·
anticrombie said:
Oh ok...Well anyways, I can not get that steering stabalizer out to save my life. I've taken off the bolt, and hit it with a flipping 8 pound sledge, and it still won't come out. Any ideas? I've also tried using a pickle fork and hammer and that even won't work.
This is the tool you want:

If you ever see one of these things for sale, BUY IT!

This trick little press will pop your steering stabilizer out without breaking a sweat. Just turn the nut with an 19mm wrench. For the stabilzer I do need to flip the bottom half over to get good contact. It was designed to pull tie rod ends off, and cost me $87 15 years ago. At the time, I though that was a lot, but it has proven to be indespensible. The great thing about it is, that unlike a pickle fork, it will not harm the tie rod end or rubber boot at all. It will also easily seperate a drag link from a pitman arm or a tie rod from a drag link.

The bad news is that I've never seen one for sale since, (perhaps another member knows a source!) The BMW high performance specialty shop I bought it from is long since gone. It's a German made tool, made by a company called Stahlwille, and it's marked part no. 12616.

Should all else fail, or you can't find one of these, I recommend that you torch the drag link to red hot at the spot the stabilizer is attached before wailing on it with the BFH. A good whack on the side can also help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.