My Problem thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Problem thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My Problem thread

So my zj seems to have a fair amount of problems, everytime i google for fixes it seems I have to sift through hundreads of non sense answers. Since I seem to get the best info here im just gonna make one thread and hopefully people can help me out. If you need pictures or more info of somthing just say and i will get them up as soon as i can. The problems i am haveing all seem to be electrical.
-my horn doesnt work, i replaces the horn, relay, and fuse (the fuse also keeps blowing)
my fule pump takes a bit to kick in, i mean i turn it over it doesnt start i let it sit a bit with the -key turned on and it starts ...... kinda like warming up a glow plug. the fule pump was replaced less then a year ago by the previous owner which he gave me the reciept for.
-my display is showing a problem with the rear lights but there is no problem, i replaced all the bulbs and they all work fine.
-abs has a mind of its own, high speed, low speed, it doesnt matter, if they want me to stop they will break by themself. I pulled the abs relay to fix this unfortunatly even though i have breaks it wont pass its safty inspection this way.
-cigerette lighter was stuck on, no idea if it works or not. just found that out today
-all fuses in the fuse box labeled for the security system have been pulled, if I replace them all the displays start flashing and a clicking noise comes from the relay center

the previous owner discontected the alarm, i have no idea what method he used. i did notice some wires taped up under the stearing wheel that have a washer type connection as if they were to be grounded but its not grounded just hanging loose.

For the next couple pages of this post I am a machanical noob, although have some experiance with electrical from building and wireing my own rc hydroplanes, so if someone could provide me with a colour code key for the wires that would make things alot easier. I also have a haynes repair manual so you can alsoi direct me to pages for electircal maps.
Any help would be great

Gungnir

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

If yor gorn fuse keeps blowing there is a short somewhere.
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so the short would be befor the fuse??? could it have anything to do with the alrm being disabled? im a little scared to screw with the wires that my alarm system might turn on and not go back off
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Short could be anywhere in that circuit.
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
-my horn doesnt work, i replaces the horn, relay, and fuse (the fuse also keeps blowing)
Use an ohmmeter, check for wires shorted to ground at the horns.
BK wires should be grounded.
DG/YL wires should not be grounded (should be +12v when horn button pushed).

Quote:
-my display is showing a problem with the rear lights but there is no problem, i replaced all the bulbs and they all work fine.
Could be bad solder joints in VIC.
Search for... zj vic solder repair

Quote:
-all fuses in the fuse box labeled for the security system have been pulled, if I replace them all the displays start flashing and a clicking noise comes from the relay center
Symptoms of normal alarm wake-up mode when power is reconnected.
Clicking relay is alarm flashing Hi-beam headlamps, normal.

Disarm alarm with fob or use key in one of the three door/liftgate lock cylinders.

Quote:
the previous owner discontected the alarm, i have no idea what method he used. i did notice some wires taped up under the stearing wheel that have a washer type connection as if they were to be grounded but its not grounded just hanging loose.
Post a pic.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Fuel pump taking a while to turn on is bad capacitors in the pcm.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heres a couple pics of that wire i was talking about

Unread 03-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir
Another possibility is a bad LOM (lamp outage module I think) it's located behind the little door inside the back cargo area on the spare tire side. Might be worth checking out :shrug:

Also digging the username
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
Another possibility is a bad LOM (lamp outage module I think) it's located behind the little door inside the back cargo area on the spare tire side. Might be worth checking out :shrug:

Also digging the username

Thanks, id go check it out but my city is still digging out of snow from a storm the other day. Im actually gonna drop my jeep off at the local collage tommorow. I got a friend enrolled in the mechanics class and there gonna make a class project of it. There gonna replace a wheel bearing, an axle, joint, and boot, rocker panels, and a rust spot by the fender, and the horn. Only thing i have to pay for is parts,
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Gungnir
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so back to my abs, we checked all the connections, tone rings, and cleaned all the sensors. Everything is good but the breaks still activate. Searches on the ointerwebs have said it could be the abs pump or contole moduale. is there a way to test these with out haveing a diagnostic tool?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.