Is my new brand-new accumulator toast? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is my new brand-new accumulator toast?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Is my new brand-new accumulator toast?

So there I was, finally connecting up all the parts of my new AC system. Or rather, I got the liquid line connected with no problems, but I just couldn't get the accumulator-to-evap hose to connect. I don't have the strength to put enough force onto it from the awkward angle you have to use.

After wrestling with it for about an hour I've admitted defeat, and I'm going to let a shop do it (the same one that would otherwise just be doing the vacuuming and charging). But I won't be able to get the Jeep round there until tomorrow, and the accumulator is now filled with half the full system charge of PAG46 (as per the installation instructions that came with the compressor) and it's been exposed to the air, although the hoses are now capped again.

Will the accumulator still be OK, or do I need to junk it?

AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

You should be ok, the vacuum pump-down will remove any air/moisture that got in. Just keep it capped until you turn it in to service guys.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

I've had trouble with that very same connection. I think sometimes the spring binds or jams inside the springlock fitting and won't slip over the flared end of the tube it's joining. Twisting/rocking while pushing usually helps but it's hard to do that with this particular junction. I think in the past I've loosened the accumulator bracket which allowed me to move the whole assembly so I could get these snapped together.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

I actually pulled the entire bracket out, but even with much more freedom to move the accumulator canister around, I still had no luck. It's just millimeters away from clicking home, I know it is, but I can't get enough force onto it. I hoped that a crowsfoot socket on the end of some long extensions would fit around the hose and give me something to push against, but the biggest socket I have - 19mm - isn't quite big enough.

Just one of those unbelievable frustrations. If it had clicked in, the rest of the system would have been connected up in about 10 minutes.

@SAR-Swimmer - thanks for the reassurance Accumulators aren't as cheap or readily available here as they are in the USA, so replacement is a bigger deal.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.