My new 5.2 build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new 5.2 build thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

My new 5.2 build thread

So I picked up a 1995 ZJ with the 5.2 in it about a week and a half ago with 140K on it in relatively great condition on outside and inside. Headliner was sagging but not too big of a deal. Anyways I only paid $650 for it not running. Guy said it overheated on him and had a cracked radiator. I figured for that cheap what the hell it is something to work on for awhile. Called AAA told them my car wouldn't start and I needed a tow home. Saved me the hassle of going to get my trailer and truck. got home that night and ordered a new cooling system for most part. radiator, fan clutch, radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump. I got it all in and fire it up and it sounds like crap. I start to test the compression and i have 0 in 2 of the cylinders. Awesome time to start rebuilding the motor. I got the jeep so cheap I really didnt care. As of right now the car sits in my parents garage with the heads at the machine shop and the block coming out this weekend and over to machine shop as well.

biggreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

congrats, pics for us?

the good news, the 318's aren't prone to cracking between cylinders like the 4.0's are. Awesome that you have a machine shop close by. Let us know how it goes.
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

Here is the pic I took when I first got it home. I will snap some more of the engine pulled out this weekend.
jeep_first_day.jpg  
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
JackedLaredo
1994 ZJ 

Nice buy for that....Small color as mine.
JackedLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

good deal, what are your plans for it other than making it driveable?
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

finally got the motor pulled after battling unbolting it from the trans. I am dropping it off at the machine shop either today or tomorrow.

Plans for after I get it running are up in the air as far as lift. I am leaning towards the 4.5" IRO kit and running 32" MT. Fabricating a front bumper as well as a rear tire carrier to start with. From there my possibilities are endless
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

your possibilities are already endless. Lots of different lifts and fabs to consider. I'm loving my pieced together RE lift. Even being on spacers it's very smooth and I can get some good flex out of her.
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

I was contemplating just doing a BB lift but I know I would want more out of it right off the bat.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

You can build a bb set up that will be ready for the next stage (3.5"). That's how I did mine.
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

but wouldnt it be cheaper if i just did the 3.5 or 4.5 right up front? instead of doing it in stages?
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

yes and no. I spent 450 or so total on my 2.25" bb. I can get a pair of 3.5" springs for 250 or so, bam I have a 3.5" lift for a total of 700. Just depends on how you find things and how they come together. But yes you very well could spend say, 400 for a bb (bb kit, shocks included and then a new track bar front and sway bar links). Then when you go to 3.5 you would need new shocks, new rear track bar (dont use the drop brackets, they're crap) and LCA's if you wanted to do them (not required) and any steering parts and bushings that need to be replaced. here's how I did mine so you can see.

Rubicon Express 1600 and 1650 front and rear adjustable track bars. Good for 3-5" (I got both for a little over 200, hell of a deal)
Rubicon Express shocks. Travel length the same as what comes with their 3.5" kit
Jks quicker disconnects (not required but I like them so I got them on, otherwise you'll need new front sway bar links for proper lift height
Rubicon Express rear sway bar links for 2-4" of lift.
2.25" coil spacers
IRO rear post extensions (so I don't drop a coil)
Hockey puck bump stop extensions (way cheaper and work just as well)

So for me, I could throw on 3.5" coils and be fine.

I could throw on a 4.5" lift with new coils, proper shocks (not sure if mine would be the proper length or not, would have to look at that) and some new CA's, lower for sure, upper if I wanted. (So for that say 800 bucks).

So it would be more expensive slightly in the long run, but not by much as I bought track bars that would go up through 5" of lift.

Up to you
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

Interesting. I am on a budget but I am looking at the 4.5" IRO kit. After spending all this money on rebuilding the motor, the lift may have to wait until next year. I have endless plans for this jeep build that will definitely happen over time.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreen View Post
Interesting. I am on a budget but I am looking at the 4.5" IRO kit. After spending all this money on rebuilding the motor, the lift may have to wait until next year. I have endless plans for this jeep build that will definitely happen over time.
Builds are never complete haha. Honestly I want to go to 4.5 myself. But can't afford everything between that and the axle swap and build to be able to run 35's wheeling (going to put an 8.8 in the rear, trussed and a selectable locker) and truss/regear and get rid of my cv joints in the front. Not cheap. Not to mention id like to drop a crate motor in her. So for me doing the BB kit and then some added stuff (like dropping the cash for adjustable sway bars) was the smart move. Plus you'd be surprised how capable a zj is with a bb kit and some 31's.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

Just go straight to a good LA lift, axles, lockers, tires, armor, and tc swap and don't look back. It will only cost in the $12-$14,000 range to do it right the first time. Otherwise it will be more doing it in steps like I did.
97 ZJ 5.2, 3.8 Atlas TC, 488s, 8.8 rear w/ARB locker, hp30 w/Oxlocker, Alloys F&R, 35" KM2s, 7" Clayton L A, ARB Bull Bar/Warn, ProtoFab w/ tire carrier, Clayton skid, rock sliders, ORO dual rate Swaybar, Redneck steering assist

97 TJ Juggy, 350 V8, 700R4, D60, 14 bolt, locked, 14" ORI Struts, 113" wb, 42" Pit Bulls, Stazworks beadlocks, F&R winches, caged, Anti-Rock, PSI full hyd steering,
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Just go straight to a good LA lift, axles, lockers, tires, armor, and tc swap and don't look back. It will only cost in the $12-$14,000 range to do it right the first time. Otherwise it will be more doing it in steps like I did.
wait where can you get all this for 12 bucks?! Sing me up for 3

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.