My (kinda) Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My (kinda) Build Thread

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
iambg
1998 ZJ 

My (kinda) Build Thread

Hey all, rather than fully hijacking this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...67/index3.html

I thought it may be useful to start a new thread on my next venture(s). My jeep is a 98 Limited 5.2 V8. I purchased several years back after I wrecked my toyota camry. It has been somewhat of a lifesaver and needless to say, I love the car. I purchased it for $500 knowing full and well that it would need work. Off the bat I was warned that it was unable to do 4WD as the "axle" had been modified. I have come to find out that the front driveshaft was removed. To make a long story short, the jeep was used as a landscaping truck. It hauled all sorts of equipment so the carpet was torn up, it stunk to high heaven and was virtually destroyed on the interior.

The problems:
Tires (replaced)
Battery (replaced)
Oil Leaks (potentially solved, see linked thread)
Air Conditioning (replaced evaporator, canister and lines-needs freon recharge)
Overheating (replaced heater core & thermostat)
Destroyed Carpet (replaced)
Various broken interior items (getting to all)
Electrical Issues (headlights and interior - specifically with DTRL enabled)
Bumper Repair (started)
Suspension (will be replacing all springs, shocks and lifting 2.5")
Missing front driveshaft (purchased replacement)
Front Diff issue (inspected and cleaned)

I will update with pics all the modifications and describe my method of attack so perhaps it helps someone like me (a novice) in the future. Any suggestions or corrections yall see fit, don't hold back. I am by no means a mechanic or "car" guy. I have enjoyed tinkering and I hope to have this jeep back up and running at it's best. It is currently at 185K

Here she is as of last month:

3/25/13
In the past few weeks, I have replaced the rear main seal, oil pump, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. Will be tightening everything up and filling up all fluids. In the process of those repairs, I did discover a Trans fluid leak at where the transmission meets transfer case.

Currently, I am installing 4 Old man Emu Coil Springs, Billstein Shocks and new coil isolators, but I am unsure as to whether or not I should do anything about my bump stops. They are stock. See pic

I did pick up these from the local Advance.

I cannot find OEM bumpstops anywhere? Searched these forums and I see many talking about cutting or extending. I am unsure if I should even do either.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by iambg; 03-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: img tags
iambg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambg View Post
Hey all, rather than fully hijacking this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...67/index3.html

I thought it may be useful to start a new thread on my next venture(s). My jeep is a 98 Limited 5.2 V8. I purchased several years back after I wrecked my toyota camry. It has been somewhat of a lifesaver and needless to say, I love the car. I purchased it for $500 knowing full and well that it would need work. Off the bat I was warned that it was unable to do 4WD as the "axle" had been modified. I have come to find out that the front driveshaft was removed. To make a long story short, the jeep was used as a landscaping truck. It hauled all sorts of equipment so the carpet was torn up, it stunk to high heaven and was virtually destroyed on the interior.

The problems:
Tires (replaced)
Battery (replaced)
Oil Leaks (potentially solved, see linked thread)
Air Conditioning (replaced evaporator, canister and lines-needs freon recharge)
Overheating (replaced heater core & thermostat)
Destroyed Carpet (replaced)
Various broken interior items (getting to all)
Electrical Issues (headlights and interior - specifically with DTRL enabled)
Bumper Repair (started)
Suspension (will be replacing all springs, shocks and lifting 2.5")
Missing front driveshaft (purchased replacement)
Front Diff issue (inspected and cleaned)

I will update with pics all the modifications and describe my method of attack so perhaps it helps someone like me (a novice) in the future. Any suggestions or corrections yall see fit, don't hold back. I am by no means a mechanic or "car" guy. I have enjoyed tinkering and I hope to have this jeep back up and running at it's best. It is currently at 185K

Here she is as of last month:

3/25/13
In the past few weeks, I have replaced the rear main seal, oil pump, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. Will be tightening everything up and filling up all fluids. In the process of those repairs, I did discover a Trans fluid leak at where the transmission meets transfer case.

Currently, I am installing 4 Old man Emu Coil Springs, Billstein Shocks and new coil isolators, but I am unsure as to whether or not I should do anything about my bump stops. They are stock. See pic

I did pick up these from the local Advance.

I cannot find OEM bumpstops anywhere? Searched these forums and I see many talking about cutting or extending. I am unsure if I should even do either.

Any suggestions?
How did you make out with the axle bumpers/ stops? I've seen several different universal type stops. Shyjackers "Economy ZJ Kit" has the lift pucks as well as axle bumpers. I'm trying to contact them about just buying the stops.

UPDATE! I found them at SUMMIT; Daystar brand, #DYS-KU09022BK $33
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.