My Jeep is a hole in my pocket. Please help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Jeep is a hole in my pocket. Please help!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
Follow the steps in ZeeJay's write up in his sig.
If tapping or moving the plugs on the PCM cause it to stall your probably looking at a PCM.
If you can solder or know someone that can solder try this procedure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/

I've soldered up 4 PCMs to fix this stalling problem. Each was a success except for ZeeJay's.

Yesterday I ran the engine and tapped everywhere possible on the PCM as well as the PDC and the engine did not stall, I then pulled all plugs and used electronic cleaner on the 3 connectors into the PCM and cleaned the PDC out as well. My jeep still stalled about 10 minutes after driving down the road.

Spify is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

If it is the PCM (solder joints) it could very well only act up while driving. Small vibrations can trigger it while rough handling does nothing. It's the nature of the beast.
Make sure you go though Z's list and pay attention to the connections and grounds.
Try wrapping the PCM with ty's like in Z's picture. If it makes any kind of difference it will be the PCM.
zeejays-pcm.jpg  
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Have you replaced the cps or iac sensors?
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

I experienced a similar problem years ago, my issue ended up being a wiring short.

Get a factory build sheet and figure out what options were on the build sheet and compare that to what is installed on the Jeep. If an option is not listed, a dealer or owner added it. Dealers don't always add options properly, which can end up being problem areas. Follow the wires for not listed options and see where they tie into the harness for power.

In my personal case, I had cruise control and it wasn't on my build sheet. The power pulled from wires that ultimately fed the crank sensor. Every time the short happened on cruise control wiring, engine lost timing and stalled. Happened a lot and nothing fixed it other than finding the short.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the info and tips, Guys I have this hunch it is the fuel pump; call me crazy but I think that is the problem. I will try the zip tie PCM method soon and see what happens there. My fuel pump causes a loud buzzing sound that can be heard from under the tank very well, when the engine stalls you can hear the sound and when the engine dies the buzzing of the fuel pump does not stop. I have noticed the Jeep struggles harder on cold days, This alone made me think it could of been a fuel issue but I wasn't sure.

I know that cold weather calls for a richer fuel mixture which made me believe that maybe the pump wasn't pushing out an optimal quantity of fuel to the engine. I know that evidence of a bad fuel pump could point to bucking and rough stalling. However I feel as if the Jeep kind of hiccups at Idle but when accelerating it would just cut off as if the ignition switch was switched to the off position, no electricity in the vehicle ceases even the heater continues operating which normally requires the engine to be running.

I have also noticed that the problem seems to be intensifying as time passes, Tonight the engine would stall at idle, it did this for about 15-20 minutes straight. I managed to Drive the thing to the gas station by gassing it, popping it in neutral coasting and when the engine dies crank it back up while in neutral and shift her back into drive. (she's an automatic, probably not the best idea but I've got this down to a science). Once I arrived at the Fuel station I put in about 6 gallons of low quality gas (probably should have put in super-unleaded now that I think about it) Put some fuel system cleaner in there and she made it the rest of the way home without a single stall *the strange thing is that, it has worked in the past without adding fuel or system cleaner) Any opinions?

By the way saw this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electric...e68e1e&vxp=mtr It's cheap so if my fuel pump wasn't the verdict this wouldn't be a pocket burner.

So what is a good way to see if it is the fuel pump or not? thanks guys.
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

check the fuel pressure at the test port on the rail. you can use the tool loan at Advance Auto or if you're on Whiteman, do they have an auto hobby shop?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
thexbeast12
1998 ZJ 

Any luck on your CV? If not I can tell you it's an easy fix. I'm still working on my jeep and I did 2 of mine this past summer( 1 was going bad figures I'd redo both). If a girl can do it so can you. Lol.
thexbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #23
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post

THIS!!

Rust will easily turn a 5 minute job into a 5 hour job
Torch
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

A buzzing pump is not a good sign. I'd get that pressure tested before any thing else.
If it turns out that the pump is shot, go with a Bosch fuel pump. They are the original brand to Jeep. The cheaper brands too often fail within 1 year.
You can replace just the pump but you also need to get the 2 internal filters that don't come with the pump. Most guys here go with buying the whole module but that cost $.
The filter that comes with it is not the correct one for the Jeep.
.1.png

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #25
motordoctor
1998 ZJ 

I don't know if this has been mentioned but you might have water in your fuel system. The pump picks up from the bottom of the tank where the water would sit. When it's cold out (has to be freezing where you are) the water will freeze and no more fuel pressure. The fuel system cleaner probably has alcohol in it and helps with fuel line freezing. I had that problem once with a motorcycle. I was riding it and the water in the bottom of the tank froze which stopped the fuel flow, even though the tank was full. Got some fuel line additive (basically methanol), thawed the tank out and away I went
motordoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the water / ice idea is a good one. if Heet doesnt help, you still need to check pressure.

take a look here.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #27
papitt
1995 ZJ 

What are you thoughts on that KESHEN pump .. I've not heard of it before but every pump I tried has been junk.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Hey, i gave in took it to a mechanic, he looked at it he suspects possibly faulty fuel pump or maybe a bad catalytic converter? any thoughts?
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #29
scope513
1997 ZJ 

I have/haf the stallung problems also...Its your pcm...what year is your zj? Also if it is a 97 like mine all you have to do is take out your coolant resivor and the pcm is the box mounted to the fire wall. Use zip ties but not the thick ones use the skinny ones. I connected three together so it fully wraps arond it. Do each plug. Before you do the plugs put some dielectric grease on them. Tighten as tight as possible with out snapping them. Install your resivor. Make sure you take off the negative battery cable first. During the time itll give the pcm a chance to restart. This should eliminate or make it not stall ad much.
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
Spify
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope513 View Post
I have/haf the stallung problems also...Its your pcm...what year is your zj? Also if it is a 97 like mine all you have to do is take out your coolant resivor and the pcm is the box mounted to the fire wall. Use zip ties but not the thick ones use the skinny ones. I connected three together so it fully wraps arond it. Do each plug. Before you do the plugs put some dielectric grease on them. Tighten as tight as possible with out snapping them. Install your resivor. Make sure you take off the negative battery cable first. During the time itll give the pcm a chance to restart. This should eliminate or make it not stall ad much.
I will give this a shot, i want the problem to be gone already i cant stand being broke because of buying parts all the time

Tags
help needed , jeep grand cherokee , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.