My front tow point/ winch subframe build *pics* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My front tow point/ winch subframe build *pics*

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

My front tow point/ winch subframe build *pics*

I figured I'd show off my latest creation. As you can see for now I have shackles mounted through it for front tow points. Later this year I am going to build a front winch bumper and this will be my base. The bumper will slide over the outside of the two vertical bars and be held in place with two 7/8" bolts per side with a 1/2 inch bolt in the center of that tube

as far as contruction the base plates are 1/4 inch, the vertical plates are 1/2 inch and the tube tying them together is .120 wall DOM. The hardware is grade 8 with 1/2" and 7/16' diagonally from each other.

original concept

changed to due to constructability issues
what i actually went with

material cost was about $20 and the grade 8 hardware was about $20

Last edited by pulsepb; 01-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: bad image tags
pulsepb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Creative design. Nice machine work and welding.

Consider adding some gussets from the .120 wall DOM to the clevis plates.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

When you build the bumper and mount it you should really change the mounting. 3 bolts per side is no where near enough. The ARB had 4 through the frame rail, 2 through the front and 2 on the bottom per side, them 3 bots per side holding the bumper to the mounts. All 3/4" grade 8 hardware IIRC.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Creative design. Nice machine work and welding.

Consider adding some gussets from the .120 wall DOM to the clevis plates.
Thanks

funny you should mention that, my roommate and I discussed the merits of running the DOM bar at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
When you build the bumper and mount it you should really change the mounting. 3 bolts per side is no where near enough. The ARB had 4 through the frame rail, 2 through the front and 2 on the bottom per side, them 3 bots per side holding the bumper to the mounts. All 3/4" grade 8 hardware IIRC.
do you have a picture? I dont quite follow the placement of the bolts as you described?
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
kwsamms
1996 ZJ 

That is a really cool design...may have to try something like that for my ZJ! Got any drawings? Haha
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You only mounted to the bottom of the rail? If so that's not nearly good enough for a winch bumper. You need to "box" the rail with your mounts.

The 7/8 bolt hole is too big for the plate you used. You'd be much better off using 4-5 1/2" bolts per side to mount the bumper to your frame plates. It'll spread the stress concentration over a wider area. You'll have more peaks, but they'll be smaller.

Its all about spreading force over the widest area possible.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
You only mounted to the bottom of the rail? If so that's not nearly good enough for a winch bumper. You need to "box" the rail with your mounts.

The 7/8 bolt hole is too big for the plate you used. You'd be much better off using 4-5 1/2" bolts per side to mount the bumper to your frame plates. It'll spread the stress concentration over a wider area. You'll have more peaks, but they'll be smaller.

Its all about spreading force over the widest area possible.
If you refering to my 7/8 shackle pin holes. Id have to disagree. Ill calculate the bearing stress later but im confident it will come out to be more than sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
as far as my mounting to the frame Im confident it is sufficent as well. The 1/2 bolts are torque to a spec of 106 lb-ft and the 7/16' bolts to 69 lb-ft. this creates a sufficient pre-load where the friction of the plate on the frame is so great that the bolts will never see any shear effects as long as it it under the calculated load.

granted i used a rudimentary equation, I made up for this with conservative numbers. As you can see the preload applied creates a very large friction force. Also notice that that is per side.

As i mentioned Ill calculate the bearing stress on my 7/8 holes later.

various resources I used to make my major assumpions
Coefficient of Friction Reference Table - Engineer's Handbook
Coefficients Of Friction
Standard Metric Bolt Shank Dimensions

kwsamms:
I dont have any drawing but i could take some pics to give you ideas. Ive never looked at the frame of a zj so im not sure what you could do. maybe check out kevins zj shackle mount
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/rad%...t/f9baed38.jpg
Radiator Support for ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokees by KevinsOffroad.com Hard-KOR Products
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
tarfin
2000 WJ 

Nice work!
tarfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
nick62087
1999 WJ 

Looks good. Id agree that the bar between is beneficial - Id think itd work to strengthen the whole setup by essentially acting as a crossmember. Plus, if your pulling from just one of those shackles, i think it'd help to distribute the load.

Do you have it bolted through the holes for the factory tow hooks? Or where exactly did you bolt it to the unibody? - its hard to picture without looking underneath.

I know everybody here is critical of the strength of recovery point mounting. You definitely make a good point with the friction, that the bolts would be squeezing so hard that it shouldn't matter. I believe that the thin sheetmetal of the unibody is the main concern, as opposed to the shear strength of the bolts. Either way, i still think it'd be damn near impossible to rip that thing off.

Post more pics if you do any more fab work.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I doubt you'll rip the mount from the frame rail. I'd bet good money you'll deform the crap out of it with a good tug or two with the single mounting plane like that though.

Your jeep, good luck.

Unread 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The only way to find out is to lock the wheels on asphalt and tug away...preferable uphill. I bet that bad boy will hold without deformation......if the calcs are indeed correct +\- 10%.
Mike
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick62087 View Post
Looks good. Id agree that the bar between is beneficial - Id think itd work to strengthen the whole setup by essentially acting as a crossmember. Plus, if your pulling from just one of those shackles, i think it'd help to distribute the load.

Do you have it bolted through the holes for the factory tow hooks? Or where exactly did you bolt it to the unibody? - its hard to picture without looking underneath.

I know everybody here is critical of the strength of recovery point mounting. You definitely make a good point with the friction, that the bolts would be squeezing so hard that it shouldn't matter. I believe that the thin sheetmetal of the unibody is the main concern, as opposed to the shear strength of the bolts. Either way, i still think it'd be damn near impossible to rip that thing off.

Post more pics if you do any more fab work.
I think the cross-member is of great help.

its mounted through the factory holes although i drilled out the square holes to give me additional mounting points.

I plan on fabbing up some stuff in the near future. Ill definitely be posting it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I doubt you'll rip the mount from the frame rail. I'd bet good money you'll deform the crap out of it with a good tug or two with the single mounting plane like that though.

Your jeep, good luck.
I understand the concern of the lower sheet metal, but its all about proper loading. How much money you looking to bet? I used these on Saturday got a few tugs in the snow after i slid into a ditch.

I think that large point that is being missed here is the plate has 21 sq inches of contact with the frame. This distributes the load very well. I calcd out the stress on the 1/16" steel making up the bottom.

At the bottom is the shear stress exhibited on the steel in psi. Ill let you look up the yield strength of mild steel. If you dont reach the yield point there wont be any deformation. I calculated it with a force of 10,000 lbs on one side so i think its sufficient.

Unread 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

looks good, too bad its not on a ZeeJay so i could copy them
Nice Work
ZJ5point2GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #14
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfin View Post
Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
looks good, too bad its not on a ZeeJay so i could copy them
Nice Work
thanks!

10 char
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

10k pulling force is pretty conservative for a pull on a good stuck.
You want it to fail at a higher rating than your pulling strap. Calculate your forces at 30k and add in another 20% for safety.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.