My Fog Light Mod. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Fog Light Mod.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

My Fog Light Mod.

Ok, I know to take my front bumper cover off when I go wheeling, mostly to get better approach angle; but sometimes I get lazy, so I had relocated the factory fogs forward about an inch a while back to keep them from harms way while disco'd, and while I had the bumper cover off recently, I snapped some pics to share.

I have and '04 so my fogs are round, what I did is rotated them 180 degrees so that the bulb connector now points up, keeping the harness and bulb farther from the tire; then added 1" nylon spacers (red circle) and longer bolts to secure the fogs to the bumper cover, pushing them forward by that much. Then drilled new holes so I can still access the adjuster screw for proper aim (blue circle).

While at it, swapped the crappy stocker 9145s for 9005s (direct drop in) and aimed them a little higher...... now that's a lot of light.

There is no getting to my fogs anymore when I wheel with the bumper on.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
kjcdc090385
2004 WJ 

Interesting approach...I would be interested to see what they look like on the car...to see if they stick out to much
kjcdc090385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

If you rotated the lamps themselves 180*, that means that the beams now shine up into the eyes of other drivers instead of down onto the road where they are supposed to. So then you aimed them even higher?
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
WJChris

1999 WJ 

the aim adjusts the light mount, not the light. The light can rotate in the mount.

right?
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcdc090385 View Post
Interesting approach...I would be interested to see what they look like on the car...to see if they stick out to much
It sticks out a little but not that noticeable unless you know what your looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
If you rotated the lamps themselves 180*, that means that the beams now shine up into the eyes of other drivers instead of down onto the road where they are supposed to. So then you aimed them even higher?
I understand your concern, I guess I sould clariry, after I rotated them 180 degrees, they were aimed at the sky, so then I lowered them BUT "aimed them a little higher" than what they were stock. The focal point still sits well below the cutoff of my lows; as you may know, fog light reflectors are designed to spread the beam wider for a shorter distance, and in case youre wondering, these round reflectors are simmetrical, so it's not like I am flipping the cutoff on them. Yes, they are bright with the 9005s and higher aim (actually almost brighter they my HIR lows), but I'm not one of those drivers that drives with fogs on while in the city. I use the fogs while in back roads to light up the foreground, if ever find myself wheeling in the dark or if there is uhhhh... fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
the aim adjusts the light mount, not the light. The light can rotate in the mount.

right?
No, the adjusting screw does aim the actual lamp up or down, the mount is fixed to the bumper cover, but the lamp does "rotate" up and down in the mount. Now, that is clear as mud.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.