My First Jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My First Jeep!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

My First Jeep!

Well no, that's actually a lie. My first Jeep I had back in 96-97 and it was a CJ. oh, but it was made by Fisher-Price.

Since I have no home internet other than my phone, and my files are too big for the mobile app... you'll just have to imagine things while I upload from work.

Just picked up a 5.9 with 172k on the clock. not the cleanest but not too bad for it's age. Slate and pretty much stock except for what looks like a 2" BB and slightly bigger tires. Interior is immaculate.

It has its problems though:
- blower module is missing and the connector melted. some moron used wiring caps and ran the motor direct to power. ordered a used module just now off ebay (no luck anywhere else) hopefully it doesn't get cold again!

-Passenger front window seems to have fallen off track. broken clips I bet. it stays up for now though haha.

-249 is crap... anyone surprised? hah.

- Idle quality doesn't seem the best. it had autolite 5224's installed. I replaced with NGK 2262's and gapped to .040". ran it on the motorvac and sprayed the decarb though the TB and brake booster hose. Runs significantly better, but has that occasional slight miss that rocks the truck just enough to bug me. Is that just how this engine is? I'm used to Euro V8s which are smooth. ALSO it has an MSD 6A installed along with 8.5mm wires, but with a stock coil... seems pointless, no?

-I can hear a bit of howling from the front left. Doesn't seem like bearing noise, doesn't go away when loading/unloading the bearing. Sound increases with speed, but will go away for a second right between accel. and decel. it does howl during both of those though. The other odd thing is that if I tap the brakes real quick it quiets it down just a bit as the truck dips forward. I almost suspect maybe tire noise? but I've never heard anything like it. pinion feels tight.

steering shaft has a good amount of play. tightened the over-center adjustment for now which made a huge difference but I'll probably go for a Durango box here sometime.

-the coolant sensor bad message... ugh. lol. need I say more? no. no I don't. because you have it too.

Other than that, she's not too bad! I bought this and sold my mostly problem-free 100% rust free 94 4Runner that was in absolutely perfect condition for $5k. (bought for $1800... not bad for a $3k profit!)

Plans have something to do with where I'd left off on the Yota. Rock sliders, spare tire carrier bumper etc. 3.5" (maybe 4.5") lift and the metric equivalent of 32's or 33's.

mikebontoft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum, you should find lots of helpfull people here, but PLEASE read though the stickies, prior to dropping a lot of questions, most are covered in the stickies, but if not, we'll be glad to help you.
Despite what people say, the 249, (96-98), is actually a very good transfer-case, definately the Best for onroad driving in crappy weather.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

For the window, a lot of times it is the plastic rollers that have dry-rotted and broken apart. There is a thread on here about how to fix it with shower door rollers instead of buying an expensive regulator.

The coolant sensor bad message on the VIC is fixable with an easy solder job. It took me around 30 minutes and has worked well since.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

thanks guys. yeah I've spent quite a bit of time researching the more common issues (some I just listed as things I need to do).

Slowly trying to get it caught back up on maintenance. I found complete service/mod records from 04-07 but they ended there.

edit: oh... good TC or not, the VC is toast and I'd really like to have 2wd so that's one of my next things to do.
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum man, giving my Jeep 2wd was one of my favorite mods, however it does get kinda sketchy sideways, so be careful if you go that route

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

haha yeah sideways is fun... I work in an industrial area so there's a nice area to play around in. got pretty sideways in the 4Runner when it was snowy. also at about 40mph or so.
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

haha I did a little when it snows, jus be careful, it seams every winter people start posting up pictures of their flipped zjs as they got sideways and caught the rear tire on a curb or a ditch.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Check the TSB for the wire routing :-)

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

oops yeah I won't make that mistake.

I will check out that TSB... I'm all.most certain they're routed incorrectly.
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Your front diff is driver side, humming coming from there could sounds like a driver hub bearing issue. Maybe check your fluid, probably needs to be changed anyway.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

fluid changes are also next on the list.

the weird thing is it gets a little louder only when accelerating or decelerating. If I get it just perfect where there's pretty much no load on the drivetrain, it goes away. sounds nothing like a bearing I've ever heard. And it doesn't change if I load the wheels one way or another. just odd.

I'll have to put it on a lift and see where it's coming from.
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

This will have to work for now... just a copy/paste from elsewhere.

I also polished the headlights real quick. Overall it makes it look better but I couldn't believe the difference in light output at night. At least twice as good.

I also removed all of the nasty, greasy armor-all the dealer put on everything. Lotioned up the seats too lol. Oh and got new trim clips for the hatch.

edit: and the one I just sold:

Unread 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

You look like you've got a nice shop there, do you have access to a set of the digital chassis ears? You can clamp those on your different front end components and isolate the noise, be it a wheel bearing or something else.

If not, you can always run it on a lift/jack stands and do the old 'screwdriver to the ear' test. I suppose it's possible the bad VC could cause the noise you are hearing too, I've never messed with the 249 case that much.
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
mikebontoft
1998 ZJ 

yeah one of the other techs has a set. they're pretty handy!

Did a little after work tonight too... just an oil change and checked the fluids. EVERYTHING is nasty and black. probably hasn't been done since the last service records - 70k ago.

I was going to ask if the VC might make that noise... kinda forgot.

Also greased every zerk I could. that shut up the JKS discos for all of about 5 minutes. If there's one thing I CANNOT stand, it's loose sway bar links.

rerouted wires... didn't do a thing. ran a little smoother after the oil change though. yeah I dunno. don't ask... it did.
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
tanker225
1993 ZJ 

That's a sweet shop you've got there! :jealous:

Sounds like a nice find of a Niner, I've been finding more of them around here now that weather has been getting better. I just make an offer on everyone I can find, someone will have to accept it one day! Right?

That humming noise- have you tried to disconnect the front driveshaft to see if it's the differential giving out that noise?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

"Mud doesn't void warranties."
tanker225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.