My First Jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My First Jeep

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
LouC
2007 WK 

You have a 4.0, I would not go crazy on tire size ESP if you have 3.55:1 gears as most do. Bigger tires are going to make it feel SLOW. The biggest I'd go is 30" tires maybe with a budget boost. Bilstein HD shocks, Wagner brake rotors and pads Dynomax cat back exhaust. I like OE for any sensors, aftermarket can cause trouble.

Best thing to do is go thru it and fix whatever the previous owners neglected. At that age there will be things for sure. My take on it after 15 years of ZJ ownership and maintenance.

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #32
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

3.55? I was under the impression that all ZJs came from the factory with 3.73s... My 94 did at least. As did my 9er... And all 3 of my friends... And that weird kid down the blocks... So I count like 6 ZJs with 3.73 gear ratio... Maybe its just a Montana thing?
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
LouC
2007 WK 

All V-8s had 3.73:1s, and if you ordered the tow package on the 4.0 you also got it, but a stock 4.0 with no tow package was 3.55:1. I would have given the 4.0 4.10s seeing as how they need all the help they can get!
I've had different size tires on my ZJ over the years but it feels noticably faster with 225/75-15s which are only 28.5" or so.
In some years (like 93-95 or so) they came with 225/70-15s and those are a hair under 28" tall, but with those it probably gave the best acceleration times. Keep in mind the little 4.0 only has 225 ft lbs of torque vs the V-8 having 300 so bigger tires that weigh more and change the effective gearing do slow it down.
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #34
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Boy ya learn something new every day! That actually makes a ton of sense!

You are absolutely right about the 4.10s. They don't call the 4.0 the 4.slow for nothing... Especially compared to the 5.9. I just can't get over the difference in the two. It absolutely blew me away when I drove my 9er for the first time!
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
LouC
2007 WK 

Well I drove a 4.0 for 11 years and 125,000 miles, then I took a test drive in an 07 WK Hemi, took it out on the Northern State Parkway out here in LI and hit the gas...well...that converted me to the Hemi religion...just like a '69 Charger off the line, power everywhere and not so bad on gas either. BUT, when the complexity of the WK really sank in, I decided to keep the old 98 ZJ 4.0 in case any of that wiz bang technology gives me fits. I do still like the simple 4.0, so I have both. The ZJ I use for most of my local driving and beach 4 wheeling, the WK for boat towing and road trips.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Magnums and Hemi's are like a drug if you as me. My magnum HAULS and my moms friends Hemi smoked a brand new Mustang off the line. Blew me away!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.