Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My Engine Swap "build thread" 4.0 - 5.2

29K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  cacheman 
#1 ·
Ok, first off I know you are saying why would you go from a 4.0 to a 5.2, and not a 5.9? Well the answer is because I already had a 5.2 Jeep and had been trying to hunt down a wrecked 5.9 for the past 6 months.

I am already pretty far into this but there is some question with what people are getting into when doing a swap like this.

So I have two completely running Jeeps. My built 98 ZJ with a 4.0 and the donor 5.2 stock. Objective, tear out necessary components, redo parts of motor and put in mine.

Compression tested out well, so I did not replace any rings.
Heads were tested for cracks and warpage, all systems go.
The following parts have been replaced so far.

-Rear Main Seal
-Waterpump
-Intake Manifold Bolts (One broke inside one of the heads)
-Oil Pan gasket
-Lower intake
-Upper intake
-Head Gaskets
-Thermostat
-Thermostat gasket
-Waterpump hoses
-Spark Plugs
-Distributor Cap
-Distributor Rotor
-Fuel injector O-Rings
-Exhaust manifold gaskets

All rusty parts, like valve covers and oil pan were wire wheeled down, and repainted with high temp paint.

See less See more
#2 ·
Going to get some new exhaust manifold bolts tonight, the plan is to get the transmission up on the engine stand to change the pan and gasket, and get the engine and trans bolted back together tonight. Then...time to start tearing apart my ZJ.

#6 ·
Phahahha yeah man just too busy to even post on JF anymore! I have no time to sit down and relax... relaxing is for Sally little B***'s! Hahah

I posted what all I did to it, I did do all gaskets. I was thinking of doing some mods but I dont have much money for that, its all going to tools for school (going to be a technician).

#7 ·
Just got in for the night.... The first part of the night I spent using my new Power Probe III to test it out. I made the mistake of putting down the windows when I started the project, and with all the wiring and battery out I could not roll them back up before parking it back outside. So I took off both front door panels and powered up just the window motors with 12 volts.

Other than that, I got pretty much everything I think and hope I will Need for mine when putting it in. I am praying I do not need to rip out the dash for wiring or anything. Fuse boxes looked the same, so I think those will carry over. I finished taking out the A/C, and took out the engine mounts.

Here are some updated pictures, now its time to start tearing apart my Lifted ZJ. And I think anyone that knows me can tell you that as soon as that first bolt comes out there will be a rush to get the very last bolt back in.

#10 ·
Last night I started tearing apart "Sir Flexalot", what a sad day. Hopefully I will have those guts out by the end of saturday, so I can put the new one in on sunday and start bolting it all back together.

Does anyone know if I can get away with just switching the engine computer, and not mess with the dash or BCM (Body Control Module)?

#11 ·
Here is last nights status

I made more progress tonight. The 4.slow will be pulled tomorrow along with the 42re. Tonight I got the main things out, t-case, rest of a/c, some random wires and such. I loosened up the engine mounts and now literally a jack stand and two engine mounts are holding it all up. I still have one transmission cable going to it now but that will come off tomorrow. I want to have the 5.2 + 44re in tomorrow and at least be able to hold its own and no more jack stand crap.

#14 ·
Who ever said anything about a TSI?
Its just a regular 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

#16 ·
I'm anxious to see how this one turns out, I'm considering doing it to mine in a couple years...

#17 ·
Me too :/ No turning back now. The longer it takes me to do this the colder its getting outside. It was pretty warm today, but still did not get above like 38 degrees and there was a wind. I had to have the garage door open for what I did today.

I had to put the stock tires back on to lower the Jeep enough to get the engine out. Also had to take off my winch and fog lights on the front. After I got the engine and trans out, I powerwashed the engine bay of the ZJ due to a big amount of random mud and dirt shoved in weird places. Plus for the v8 engine mounts there are holes that have not been used for 175,000 miles so I needed to clean out the threads of those. I am done working on it for tonight, but hopefully I can get the 5.2 in on sunday so at least its in place.

You will notice some pictures it looks like I aimed the camera wrong... well I had to set it on shelving to take the pictures otherwise they were blurry.

#18 ·
Check out my Jeep info phahhahaha

#19 ·
K dudes I made some good progress today. Got the engine mounts painted and in, fuel line switched over, Some A/C lines on, Heater hoses on, tand oh yeah. The engine and tranny in place. It sure was a tight and 15 minute struggle getting the 5.2 and trans in place but Its all in now, along with the transfer case being bolted up.

note, v8 fuel lines are different, as well as the 5.2 harness for the t-case was different at the t-case spedo gear plugs. Weird, but I just took the piece I needed off the 249 and put it on my 242. No pictures of the final progress tonight, But I have some of right before. I will snap some more tomorrow. Tomorrow I should be able to get all of the tranny mounts and the IRO Crossmember back in with the linkage all good. I am hoping I have this running by wednesday. But mon-friday I can only work on it starting at 9pm until like 12-1 a.m. due to me waking up for school at 5:45.

Anyway, onto a few pictures.

Has anyone heard of any problems due to lack of heatshields on a 5.2 exhaust manifold?

And I figured...how often do you get to take a picture like this.

#23 ·
Greengc4x4, I would say the 4.0 was easier to pull, but that could have just been from my mounting points. the 4.0 coming out was kinda a PITA because it tilted like mad. The V8 block and trans lifted very evenly, and I mounted both engines the same. Obviously the I6 is a different shape though.

The 5.2 was a PITA to put in though, but guys remember I am also putting the transmission in at the same time. It took probably 15 minutes to get the engine and trans all in place (engine mount bolts in). So I would say dependant on your mechanical ability, its really not that hard. I mean you have 2 engine mount bolts, like 6 bell housing bolts, take off the starter, like 4 plugs on the trans, 2 on the t-case, and some o2 sensor wires. Then two computer plugs, one by the accumulator, and some going into the fusebox.

Really, not that many plugs. If I can name them off the top of my head its not that bad hahah

Matt, shut up! hahah Just kidding man. I am trying to finish this thing asap. Believe me, I am having withdrawls from driving around my altima and not the Jeep. hahha. But yeah for sure, the skid should work out, and then hopefully we can get yours all shipped out!

Guys I have not updated this thread yet.

Engine and trans are in, IRO Long arm crossmember is back in, transfercase is in, linkage hooked up, throttle body on, fuel line connected, I started connecting wires. I had to swap the 249 spedo gear plug from the donor to my 242, they were different.

Tonight hopefully the under Jeep work will be done. Driveshafts will go back in, and hopefully fit :/ I have to swap the connectors on the A/C accumulators and fix some throttle linkage.

I am going to pick up 5 qts of oil, a filter, coolant for the entire system, 13 quarts of ATF +4 (11 for 44re, 2 for NP242), and power steering fluid. I am hoping this Jeep will be ready in a couple of days.

#25 ·
Not too much got done today.... I got the transfercase linkage all setup, and I went to the parts store and picked up some fluids. A Little over $75 was spent on just the trans fluid. :O

Tomorrow I just have to get some vacuum lines, and I will also buy a new auto tensioner since it looks like a pita to replace if need be. I hear they go out pretty commonly.

And the bad news. So I started getting the driveshafts in, and the rear is too short and the front is too long. The worst part is I just bought that front shaft less than 6 months ago, brand new, custom length, $249.99. So looks like I will procede to finish, and get it shortened when its all driveable.

As for the rear shaft, the donor Jeep obviously had a longer shaft so I am going to take that one, clean it up, paint it, and put two new u-joints in it.

I have to look at some wiring going into the fusebox, and also finish redoing the accumulator connection.

Other than that, pretty much just have to put on the Y pipe, fill it with fluid and try to see if it will start.

#28 ·
I have been going to bed way to early in the morning with minimal sleep so sorry for the lack of updates.

I ended up trying to turn it over two nights ago, I had no power with ignition on. No dash lights, no headlights, no nothing. Figures right, by the time you swap over all the harnesses it only figures that that would happen. So I looked into it, probed some connections and determined that I was not getting any power to the fuse box under the hood. All connections were good, all grounds were connected. So I ran a whole new power wire from the Battery + to the post on the power distribution box.

I tried starting it again, last night. And I hear a bunch of starter shuttering noise, and a lot of relays tweaking out. Checked all connections and the battery ground was loose.

Seeing as its a V8, and I only have the headers on right now being it started up not even a second after I started cranking, I killed it right away. 1:30 in the morning was a bit too early for that.

-----Now---- Jeep sits still with only headers. I busted out my good ol' Ignersoll Rand Air Hammer and torch, and got the exhaust off the donor Jeep. I also picked up some bolts, washers, and nuts. I just returned from Napa where I got some flex pipe and clamps. That way, tonight when I get the exhaust on I can actually let it run where its not excessively loud. And as long as she runs and sounds fine with no problems I should be able to get it back together and on the road saturday after I get off of work.

#29 ·
Hope you get it goin man, this build has been awesome, I love how you painted it blue and all to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.