My build: 95 5.2L ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My build: 95 5.2L ZJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

My build: 95 5.2L ZJ

I'm a new member here, not new to the site though.
Recently purchased my first ZJ. (About a month ago)
It's a 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited with a few quirks here and there and could use some TLC and the right touch, but I love her!

I bought it for several reasons:
1. I am a Mopar/Jeep lover!
2. I am very passionate about off roading and rock crawling.
3. It was the right vehicle for the cash.
4. It already had a 4" lift and 33" Boggers.
5. I am having my first child in September, so I needed a more "family friendly car".
6. I love the paint!
Here are a few more pics of the Jeep after I got it home.
This is a spot a buddy and I go to, this is in the dried up lake bed.

This is a pic with my buddy and his TJ, modded out the wazoo.

This is after the play time. This baby can crawl through some mud, I was very impressed.

So my original idea was to buy all these parts and stuff and lift it 2 more inches and put all adjustable control arms and HD track bars, tie rod, and drag link on it, among other things that would cost a crap ton of dough...

Then I snapped out of it!
Just because I'm working all this overtime and saving all this extra cash (for the baby and the Jeep) doesn't mean that I have to go and blow it all on over priced parts that I also have to pay SHIPPING for!?!?

Now that I've wised up and realized the error of my ways I know what I must do. "Build it and they will come." He said.
So the plan is...
DANA 60's, 35's, not quite sure what gear ratio yet (still want to keep it street legal), custom built long arms, custom sub frame (unibody stiffener), custom rock sliders, custom bumpers, custom cross members, and custom skid plates... there's more to it but I'm kinda getting tired of typing CUSTOM.

This is somewhat similar to what I want to do with the ZJ, except the exo cage, and ignore the fact that the vehicle in the pic is a WJ.

Or this sweet WJ that Rock Ware built for King of the Hammers.

So with all that being said, this marks the beginning of a long build thread with not much progress being made very quickly. BUT, there will be lots of pics!

On a side note, I'm trying to talk my girl into getting a Liberty. She wants a BRAND NEW EVERYTHING, and we can't afford that kind of payment (and I don't really like newer cars). Anyways, she wants a newer Liberty or Commander or Patriot... blah blah blah. (At least they are all JEEPS!) I want the older Liberty so I can turn it into this!

I think she'd love driving it and it would be something else I could take off road...

Thanks for reading hope you check in again when there is more progress.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC

Last edited by NTexasZJ; 07-25-2013 at 01:29 PM..
NTexasZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Sweet jeep man! Is that flat black paint, or is it completely plastidipped?

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thank you very much and its flat black paint.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

I have a few questions for anyone who reads this. I believe it is part of the vacuum system but who knows?!
What is this and what is it for? (Located on back side of driver side valve cover)

What is this and what is it for? (Located behind passenger side valve cover, has a vacuum looking line that goes to the throttle body)

What part am I missing? I believe one of those lines is the low pressure line to the fire wall and the other goes to the compressor.

What is SAM HILL is this and what is IT for? (Located behind bumper, under head light on driver side, it sticks out from behind the bumper at the bottom too. It is a big cylinder)

And this is just a pic of me I accidently took while snooping around my wheel well, I saw it when I was uploading the pics.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

first pic is the vapor canister purge valve, dont ask me what it does because i dont know. second pic is the transducer for the EGR.
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

So recently I have been having issues with my ZJ stalling when I stop at a light. Looked around and saw the Dirty Dozen thread. Lots of very good information in there and saw the ECM fix (zip ties/hose clamp). So I went out and got a hose clamp big enough to go around my ECM. Came back, took out my ECM and cleaned it up a bit, it had a lot of dirt from the last time I had went out on the trail with it.

Reinstalled it with the hose clamp on and took it for a test drive. Nothing changed... still stalling, after the jeep warms up, when I come to a stop. Maybe I didn't clean the contacts well enough or not enough contact grease. Keep in mind, mine is a 95 and has the one big connector with the bolt and it seemed to have pretty good contact before and after I cleaned it, so maybe its a bad ECM. I'm not sure but I figure I will just keep going down the list until my problem is solved. I do think I have a vacuum leak though, No real evidence other than my intake is pretty dirty on the inside, I have a slight ticking noise, and it is on the list.

I would like to order that Hughes Engines aluminum belly pan and gasket just so that I know I have a better piece, it will last longer, I will of known when it was replaced, and I would like to do the KEG mod to the intake. (Has anyone here done the KEG mod on their ZJ? If so, how does it run now, better or worse or what?) But I'm not going to skip down the list to it just to do it and see if that's the problem.
Well that is about all the updates I have for now. Trying to get as much done as I can before the baby comes next month.
Still looking for axles. I have a buddy, the guy with the TJ in the pics from before, that is going to help me put together the axles and work on doing my custom 4 link for it. I'm excited but I know this will be a long build. Ha Ha.
Take it easy guys and gals. Hope to get some help and shed some light on this project.

OH ALSO, my fuel gauge goes in and out of working, the needle raises and drops when it wants, not a lot but it does. It is really hard to tell when I actually am empty or not. And my oil pressure gauge says its at max pressure!?! But my oil level isn't high... Help on that stuff would be nice. Another this is the shifter, it seems to have play in it. Like when I go from Park to Drive I have to go past Drive and give it a light push back into Drive, same with Reverse. Strange huh? Any ideas on that would be awesome too!!!

Thanks again
Eric

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

try cleaning the IAC valve. thats the sensor lookin thing at the back of the throttle body. theres a write up in the FAQs
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

Cool, yeah. I read a little about that too. I'll have to get my butt in gear and start working on this jeep more often.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

If it just sputters out I would say its the IAC/Throttlebody or fuel pump related. If it completely dies as if you turned the key off then I would say your Crank sensor is on its way out or bad ground somewhere.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There is a lot of info on the kegger mod with the Dodge guys http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...e-mod-diy.html

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/tags/kegger.html
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks!
Yeah I have read through one thread on how to do the kegger mod. Seemed pretty straight forward and easy but not particularly sure if I would want to attempt it with the stock intake or go find another at a junk yard.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

Here's a little update.
Couple days ago went and had the ZJ aligned. Not sure when the last time it was done and I have a mild case of the death wobbles, figured it could only help.
Turns out my toe was set way in! Well I kind of figured that cause I noticed that my tie rod had a good bend in it that I didn't remember seeing before the last time I went wheeling. So that was all squared away and they got me set up all good and straight. Actually did help the get rid of some of the death wobble, not all. So then I leave and drive home... Now, I don't live all that far from the shop I went to, but by the time I had got home (10 to 15 mins) my jeep was starting to over heat and I had noticed a good amount of squealing and some smoke. I pulled into my drive way, killed the jeep, and popped the hood. Steam cam shooting out of the radiator cap and the sound of bubbling came from my over flow container. (I thought the fluid was actually BOILING, but it was just hot air coming through the hose cause the over flow was completely full.

SOOO. Using my deductive reasoning, I am pretty darn sure that my water pump is kaput! I pulled it into the garage after letting sit a bit and tried to wiggle the fan and check if the pulley was not tracking right. Everything seems to be ok and I couldn't recreate the squealing sounds... I don't and I don't really want to pull the pump if I don't have to but I probably should. Anyways, So I had noticed that there was a slight play in the steering still after the alignment and I had ordered a new steering stabilizer just in case this was the situation (plus a second one from even more stability!) from IRO. Bam, put those babies on... the steering is quite a bit stiffer now. Not saying that is a bad thing. And it did help with the wobble also. So that's cool now. Still a little play when going over 50, but I don't drive in too many areas where the speed limit is over 45. Should be good from now till I get around to checking other parts of the suspension.
That's all I got I think.
Thanks for reading.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

With two steering stabilizers and turning large tires, your steering box will hate its life. If all your tie rod ends are good and your steering components are aligned correctly, you shouldn't need one stabilizer at all. Might I suggest a remanned waggy box and a steering brace.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
NTexasZJ
1995 ZJ 

I have heard about swapping out the steering gear with a wagon one. What do you mean by steering brace though. Only thing is that I plan on going to hydro assist steering when I swap over to my Dana 60's and run 35" tires. So I don't want to through a bunch of money at something that I will end up just replacing in less than a year.

OOH RAH.
Cpl USMC
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
ELMCZJ95

Dana 60s with only 35s? That's overkill and you'll be dragging those axles on the ground everywhere you go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.