My blower motor not blowing. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
My blower motor not blowing.

So My Blower motor is not blowing at all on my new2me ZJ.
I was expecting it to be the blower motor relay.
.. So While I was in town I priced the relay ... Holy Smokes it was $135.00 . That's expensive so I'll did a little more research.
.. I was thinkinG that that relay would still let it work but not just blow on HIGH.
.. IS THAT CORRECT .
.. & A little more history on this ZJ . IT SET SOR OVER 5 YEARS BEFORE I GOT IT.
So I've cleaned out a lot of rats nest .. & I'm going to pull the blower motor & see if it has a rats nest in it.
... After that I'm not sure .
... But I do have a new 40 amp fuze for the blower circuit. So I'm back out to the shop to play some more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-15-2017, 04:39 PM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

This is dog food in the blower of the wife's 98 ZJ. The damn thing vibrated terribly. While you have yours out, take a good look at the electrical connector for burnt connections.

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, OME shocks, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
We had so much going on, on the farm today I never got back to the blower motor.
GW I'm hoping my motor has something like yours has..
Guys keep any thoughts coming.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 PM
PacificEd
1998 ZJ 

The blower quit blowing in my 1998 ZJ and we wiggled the plug just behind/under the glovebox and it would blow again. Turns out the two ground wires in the main plug had melted causing poor connection and eventual failure. We cut a plug out of a junk yard ZJ and grafted it in. Works like a champ now.

1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited
1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
post #5 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Pacific ED .. I do remember those plugs doing that while I was at chrysler.
I'll get to it .. Hopeful tomorrow.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 11:03 AM
trol1374
1995 ZJ 

I have the auto temp control for my A/C.
The blower motor relay under the dash has two plugs. If you undo one plug you have a blower on just the high setting, one click off and it turns off.
I bought this relay for $39 and it works just fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks Trol1374: As I recall that's what they looked like . & I figure one could be found much cheaper than 135.00 bucks .
. I'll try & get a look at it this evening.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 AM
trol1374
1995 ZJ 

Just to clarify. I did the unplug thing when mine went out to get a blower. After installing that new resistor everything plugged back and good to go.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
DANG I JUST GOT ON e-bAY & FOUND SEVERAL FOR 30 Bucks . & SOME AT 200.00
I called town & theirs was 175.00 . Guess I'll have to order one ..& wait.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Pugulis
2001 WJ 

Before buying a new blower motor, make sure it's not a wiring problem. Mine has an intermittent problem where it doesn't go on at all. It turns out there something wrong with one of the connectors under the dash. I haven't had a chance to find exactly which one, I just wiggle the wires until it works again.

[_][]☺[][][]☺[][_] RIP to my 96' Grand Cherokee Laredo 344,700 miles and welcome to my new 2001 WJ
post #11 of 19 Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Yes I plan to pull the blower motor out & make sure it's not full & has it stopped up . I'm really now thinking it's that dash control for the auto air.
But that part is expensive .. Does anyone have the Chrysler number for it. I'll check ebay & amazon.
... That item was also a big item when I worked for Chrysler.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Riley/MN
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am driving our "backup jeep" which happens to be a 95 ZJ. Fan didn't blow when I turned it on yesterday, but has been working fine (on all positions) previously. I'm guessing that if it was the resistor I would have lost a speed or two before dying? Will the blower work if I bypass the resistor? Something to add to the list for this weekend...

~Riley
><>
TMA MN State Rep
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
post #13 of 19 Old 08-17-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
YES I think the BLOWER Will work bypassed . It may not need to run on that much voltage . As the wires in the switches are small.
But on my old 1980 Bronco I put straight 12v to the blower & ran it off a toggle on winter. & IT blew my blower more RPM's & I GOT MORE HEAT.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley/MN View Post
I am driving our "backup jeep" which happens to be a 95 ZJ. Fan didn't blow when I turned it on yesterday, but has been working fine (on all positions) previously. I'm guessing that if it was the resistor I would have lost a speed or two before dying? Will the blower work if I bypass the resistor? Something to add to the list for this weekend...
The first thing to check is make sure the connector on the front of the box up under the dash just to the left of the glove compartment isn't melted down. Below are some photos of the connector and I've seen them melted down worse than that. I've also had switches melt down on the back of the HVAC control unit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/6...l#post23710018

Also check any fuses which the blower motor may go through or dealing with heating/AC. Believe there's a fuse #17 (7.5a) in the junction block (fuse box behind passenger side floor right kick panel) for the 95 which is for the "heater and AC module". But his may just be for an ATC (auto temp control) system rather than manual.

Typically if you lose any of your med-low speeds going through the resistor they're all going to go out at the same time. The exception is the high speed which doesn't even go through the resistor since it uses too much power. It's wired separately and believe the high speed on the blower switch turns it on via providing ground to the motor.

If you do bypass the resistor you may only have high speed since the control switch alone isn't what reduces 12V of power for the med-low speeds. It's the resistor which decreases power for lower speeds other than high. Good luck.

Yeah pappit, you can bypass everything and go directly to the blower motor through a toggle switch. But you sure best have it fused and that 12V motor uses a lot more power than you would think. Plus you'll only have high speed.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #15 of 19 Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Good explanation UBIBLURB. Have you wrenched at Chrysler or are you a tech.
I operated a parts store from 67 until 95 .. SO I learned most from shops I delivered to. I'm terrible at electrical issues.
Since 95 I've been at Chrysler as a service advisor 7 years & at a Freightliner sub dealer, for my last 6 years . Outside sales & delivery.
Chrysler was hard to deal with but it was nice to get to see all the JEEPS & Diesel trucks .& The Hemi's .& I hated the soccer moms with their mini vans & the low tire light problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.