My Antenna is Garbage, how much is this gonna set me back? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Antenna is Garbage, how much is this gonna set me back?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 09-11-2004, 06:55 AM   #1
madmanfrommars

My Antenna is Garbage, how much is this gonna set me back?

Okay I replaced the stock radio with a Pioneer radio about two years ago (great radio by the way).

My problem is, that recently, my radio reception has gone from bad to worse. I know the source of some of these stations is very close to me, but my reception is still garbage.

I think the antenna may need to be replaced? What do you think, and how much will this cost me?

[URL=http://staff.filesnetwork.com/madman/CIMG1846.JPG]Illuminating the Night[/URL]

As far as I know, I'm the only person to own a flame red liberty with the light bar, and until someone disproves that to me, I'm going to enjoy it.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanfrommars
Okay I replaced the stock radio with a Pioneer radio about two years ago (great radio by the way).

My problem is, that recently, my radio reception has gone from bad to worse. I know the source of some of these stations is very close to me, but my reception is still garbage.

I think the antenna may need to be replaced? What do you think, and how much will this cost me?

Your antenna is basically nothing more than a wire with a sheilded coax connecting to the radio. Unless you have done something to damage the coax (such as cut it) it's unlikely to "go bad". The two places to inspect are where the coax connects to the base of the antenna, and where it plugs into the back of the head unit.
At the base of the antenna is a screw (or nut) and a couple washers with the coax having a couple of eyelet terminals. If you take that all apart and go over it with emery cloth then re-assemble it, you may see an improvement in signal strength to the radio. Going over the connector at the back of the radio with emery cloth wouldn't hurt either.

I haven't bought a complete antenna in a number of years, but I wouldn't expect a new one to run more than $50.00 USD.

HTH
Unread 09-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
GrandRubicon155

mine went bad last year and i called my junk yard and they had some. went up and pulled it out of a 93' and it was $15. i have a motorized one and we just swapped it out, if you have a stationary one i would think that would be a bit easier.

sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.