My 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo jerks forward while in park - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo jerks forward while in park

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
JeepRumors

My 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo jerks forward while in park

The moment i park the jeep - whether the engine is running or not, my Jeep will make a jerking motion as if it wants to move forward at the same time making a single popping sound.
the jeep will do it a few times maybe more. Best way to describe the motion is to imagine sitting in your car and a person leans on your rear end of the car causing the car to jerk forward from the pressure of the person.

What could this be?

Just to let you know i factored in the chance it might be my gas sloshing around.

the jerk motion timing is unknown i usually sit and wait till it happens again.
it could be 2 3 small pops and tiny movement to a medium pop with an inch like jerk forward.

JeepRumors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the parking "pin" isnt engaging fully.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Wood2km
1998 ZJ 

Have all of the recalls been completed on your jeep? There is a recall that makes it firmer when you shift to park, so that it goes all the way into park when you shift the lever.
Wood2km is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
JeepRumors

i bought used ayear ago

I bought the jeep used a year ago and it does all kinds of funky things. I had to pull the fuse for the interior lights as well because they would turn on by themselves.

What or where should i look to find information about these recalls you mentioned?
JeepRumors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Wood2km
1998 ZJ 

You can put the vin in on chryslers website, or on carfax. You don't have to pay to see if there are recalls.
Wood2km is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
retrotek
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I have the same exact problem with my 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited. I just had the transmission rebuilt as well. It happens in park, with the Jeep running or right after turning the Jeep off (for up to 2 minutes). It feels like someone is pushing the back bumper, it's the strangest thing.

Did you find a solution?

Thanks
J
retrotek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

You guys talking about when you put it into park and let off the brakes it will roll forward like an inch and then stop ? You know pretty much every car does that... which is why its best to use the parking brake as well to keep pressure of the parking pin in the transmission... My 5.9 does this as well and makes the same pop underneath... Im not worried about it.. been doing it since I got it 4 years ago.. The 4.0 does it too it just doesn't pop
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
retrotek
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

It's not that the car rolls forward, it's lunges slightly like someone is jumping on the rear bumper while it's in park. It happens when while it's running, and also happens to me after I shut the engine off (up to 2 minutes after)! I literally just had the transmission rebuilt after 140K (pump went bad), but that didn't fix it.

It's almost like energy is being built up somewhere in the drive line, like a rubber band being twisted, and then suddenly released. Is there a center bearing in the drive shaft on these? Someone mentioned the possibility of brake calipers getting stuck, but I don't think that would be it. Ideas?
retrotek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

My jeep used to do this until last friday. I have the 4.0, and yes, it did pop as well. Had the stealer do the recall for the shifter and no more problems.

Didnt know there was an open recall(other than the hitch) until i emailed chysler for my build sheet.

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
jeepzj1998
1996 ZJ 

Do you have a 249 transfer case? If so, VC probably going bad.
jeepzj1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.