My 8.8 ZJ Rear End Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 8.8 ZJ Rear End Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

My 8.8 ZJ Rear End Build Thread

I picked up an 8.8 rear end today from an Exploder... 3:73 gears which is what I have now, some rust (has a good amount of rust, stock with fords). Now I will be working on fitting it into the rear of my 1998 ZJ in place of the Dana 35.

The axle at the pull your own parts yard was $86, but every first wednesday is half price day on parts. So $43 for an 8.8 And being I got there with about an hour to work on it, I had the guys cut it out with the torch. $50, a huge ask tractor, and a gigantic engine crane to lift the exploders rear end later, I had an 8.8. Only downside I see is drum brakes, and I noticed tonight I have two small holes in the diff cover

PICS:

I had to make sure there was metal underneath that rust!

I will need everything for this install so any links/write-ups would be appreciated. I will need the brackets and all so... yeah. Thanks
-Pat

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
I will need everything for this install so any links/write-ups would be appreciated. I will need the brackets and all so... yeah. Thanks
-Pat
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...&highlight=8.8
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
BucYouUp68
2013 JK Wrangler 

www.mallcrawlin.com There are some good write up's over there. Good Luck, and a screaming deal for a 8.8

Not hard, if you have a socket wrench and the mental capacity of a ham sandwich.
BucYouUp68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Pat, that first link is the one I followed to prepare mine. No all I have left to get for it is the truss from claytons.

ARP wheel studs: 30$ (ish)
Spicer Dana yoke adapter: 35$ locally
Brackets and tabs: Mine are cut from a d35. I would recommend going with ballistic fab stuff though. its MAD beefy and very affordable.

Mine was 200$, but I have NEW discs on it, they are like a month old from the looks of it. It also has a LSD. You made away with a steal though.

Here is my rust bucket, turned beauty queen.

www.mountainvistafabrication.com
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

ooh! looking forward to the build. rustys has a rear axle bracket kit too, nothing as beefy as BTF though. what do you have for a welder?
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
ooh! looking forward to the build. rustys has a rear axle bracket kit too, nothing as beefy as BTF though. what do you have for a welder?
I have a Clarke 130EN which is a 110 (not planning on using other than to tack) and then my buddy just bought a 220 Clarke a couple of days ago and he said I could use it. Both are Wire feed, otherwise if I feel like doing stick I know someone else that has a 220 Lincoln Stick.

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Are you gonna try to reuse your ZJ brakes on the 8.8?

The 8.8 diff covers are tinfoil POS. Go ahead and plan on upgrading to an aftermarket cover like a MORE or Rockcrusher.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Lookin good. If you have drums it is most likely only 28 spline shafts but still stout. For a diff cover I used the stock one with a $50 Rusty's diff guard. RS is the way to go if you can swing it.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Lookin good. If you have drums it is most likely only 28 spline shafts but still stout. For a diff cover I used the stock one with a $50 Rusty's diff guard. RS is the way to go if you can swing it.
All Explorer 8.8s have 31 splines.

Too bad on getting one with drum brakes, but I think that you should be able to switch over your brakes. But at least you got one with a limited slip.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The stock diff cover is SUPER thin so it is a good thing that it has a hole in it...that way you are forced to upgrade to a quality version
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Jones
Consider the following...

Nice find redhatman. I got one about two months ago with aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Unfortunately mine came with drum brakes as well. I'm going to put 4.56 up front and do four new disc brakes.
Unread 11-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

A couple of Questions.

1.) Will my ZJ Disc setup fit on the 8.8 with little modification? If yes, what is required?

2.) What is the big circle thing on the left side by where the input from the transfer case comes in? You can see it in the first pic.

3.) What do I need to do to my driveshaft? I have ~6" of lift now and my shaft sticks out of the t-case probably 2.5" from stock. Wouldnt the 8.8 have a bigger yoke, and therefore require a shorter driveshaft and I should be good?

4.) What about ABS and E-Brakes?

"Project Dirty Princess"

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
TslAtticus
1994 ZJ 

I'm doing the same thing....eventually. I have the 8.8 w/discs and 3.55's. Is this what one would need to do the swap? http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=cus

I'm going to try and cut the old ones off the d35 but in case I booger them up i want to be sure.
TslAtticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Jones
Consider the following...

You can use that or your old mounts if you want to save money. The down side is having to cut the old ones off.
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice man, guess iron rock cleaned out the 44s and 8.8s because when i went with nick, there were a shat load of 8.8s and two 44s. oh well, atleast your ***** little 35 will be gone abs is over-rated. so your rear-end has a limited slip now? wow that sounds really gay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.