My 5.2 Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 Build Thread

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSekora View Post
Haha. When I bought my jeep I wasn't expecting to go anywhere fast. Just saying.
I love my jeep and the sound she makes. I swear its the only pointless mod in planning.
Can you pass inspection in Maryland with a cut out? I would expect them to put in a tracking device and camera on your ZJ. And assign a inspector to ride around without everyday to make sure you are not breaking the law.

Effing Maryland lol.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Can you pass inspection in Maryland with a cut out? I would expect them to put in a tracking device and camera on your ZJ. And assign a inspector to ride around without everyday to make sure you are not breaking the law.

Effing Maryland lol.
Lol. No you can't. But thankfully you only have to get inspected once and emmisions is only every two years. So every two years I have to take it out and put a piece of pipe in its place.
I wouldn't put it past Maryland. Freaking ridiculous state.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Don't know Wisconsin's laws on that but I can tell you I hear plenty of muffler drones going by my house, one used to be my dad til he traded his Dakota in for a new Dodge Journey
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #34
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

I love how quick the 318 is in my jeep. It's a pickup motor(granted a small one) in a much lighter unibody jeep... Plenty of power. I can't imagine how fast the niners are... My buddies 96 ram with a 360 blew the doors off a v10 ford in town XD and it had two year old fuel and needed a tune up lol
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

So I got my new radiator in! Was estimated $500 final total come to $475! (Graduation gift so I didn't pay but got to keep the difference) Also had new hoses put in as well and the guy cleaned all the oil off of my A/C rad. Drove it home and found tranny fluid leaking pretty bad called him, took it back, and he noticed he didn't connect the tranny line to the rad tight enough. Fixed the problem, and topped off the tranny fluid. (Guess you could say I got a free tranny flush out of this! ) I'd probably go back to the shop if needed for any other repairs. One simple mistake.
imag0496.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Also found a broken speaker wire in the rear right door! Going to check the rear left for a broken window motor wire and drivers door for broken light wire this week. Planning on adding 2" of wire in-between the two ends, solder, and shrink tube em.
imag0495.jpg  
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I paid 120 bucks for my radiator from rock auto and installation was free. You should learn to pick up a wrench and save yourself a ton of money.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I paid 120 bucks for my radiator from rock auto and installation was free. You should learn to pick up a wrench and save yourself a ton of money.
No kidding. That was my thought exactly. My father was about to pay the dealer $900 to replace my PCM. 2 hours of labor for a PCM?? What the hell? Its 1 bolt and 2 nuts, pull the coolant resivoir, then 4 screws.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

This is my first vehicle I've owned and never worked on one before. My uncle said there's too many things that could go wrong with a radiator replacement for me to do it myself plus its my daily driver and if its out of commission I'm screwed. My grandparents also offered to pay for it as my graduation gift.

I don't have the time, skill level, knowledge, or the best tools, to do it myself. So far I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, pcm, all speakers, after market headunit, and subwoofer w/amp myself. Soon a BB lift, oil pan gasket, and door pins. The savings from doing the oil pan gasket myself is $450 alone! So I'm obviously not a lazy person.

I'm trying and would love to learn along the way but between family, my job, trying to get a second job, and finishing school there isn't time. When I'm out of school I'll have more time. I'm satisfied with the work done and don't even care about the mistake because we are all humans and not perfect. It's actually my mistake too of not checking the work done before leaving the shop.

Mentioned my uncle because he owned a 1994 4.0L Laredo as his second vehicle. So he knows some things about mine and quite a bit about vehicles. Didn't mean to sound rude here and I know you ment well by telling me I can do it myself but it came off as saying I was lazy.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #40
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Hey man I took mine out for some room to work for the water pump replacement and if I had someone else pay I'd save myself the headache too lol. And Ive done a ton of work to my jeep. Plus it would be impolite to do it yourself and take the rest of the cash when it was a gift for a specific purpose.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #41
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You did the fuel pump and oil pan gasket but a radiator is too complicated? Maybe I'm missing something here but glad you got it working right.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #42
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You did the fuel pump and oil pan gasket but a radiator is too complicated? Maybe I'm missing something here but glad you got it working right.
Thank you!!!
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #43
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Passenger dumped a drink while sitting on the back seat...leaked down to the under-seat storage area and ruined the already horrible factory carpeting. Decided a day later to take out the carpet, and spray down bed liner. Easy clean up, and it looks MUCH better (except my overspray ) When I took out the carpet I was in SHOCK at what the pervious owners left. It was FILTY. One of them must of had a child, because there was candy and other little child things. It was horrible.

Cut out the carpet
Pulled the wiring from their holding spots
Un-screwed and un-clipped the amp
Un-screwed the (capacitor [forgot what its called])
taped all holes so spray doesn't get in
sprayed away (I think 3 or 4 coats)

Looks good to me!
imag0519.jpg  
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Passenger dumped a drink while sitting on the back seat...leaked down to the under-seat storage area and ruined the already horrible factory carpeting. Decided a day later to take out the carpet, and spray down bed liner. Easy clean up, and it looks MUCH better (except my overspray ) When I took out the carpet I was in SHOCK at what the pervious owners left. It was FILTY. One of them must of had a child, because there was candy and other little child things. It was horrible.

Cut out the carpet
Pulled the wiring from their holding spots
Un-screwed and un-clipped the amp
Un-screwed the (capacitor [forgot what its called])
taped all holes so spray doesn't get in
sprayed away (I think 3 or 4 coats)

Looks good to me!
Hmm... I hadn't thought about that. Guess this can of truck bed coating I want to play around goes there...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Didn't update in awhile. Right now I'm getting the final parts for my lift. Got spacers, shocks, and all 4 upper control arms courtesy of moparlover1992! Bought new track bar bushings for front and back and sway bar bushings for front and back. Also getting lower arms from rock auto and buying new coil isolators from IRO. Also bought and cut exhaust pipe for rear post extensions (was cheap and rather be safe than sorry). I'm painting all arms, shocks, and post extensions "safety red". Thought it'd look cool and add some extra protection. Also re-painted my roof rack flat black today. Looked like it was in need of it before it started to rust. Finally I replaced both door pins and bushings in the drivers door. No more sag and feels great!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.