My 5.2 Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it

95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Wow that is costly! haha I'll look at an auto store next time I'm there. Summer is around the corner so road salt isn't a problem anymore. Trying to save for a lift though, that will most likely go on first.
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post

Just found a link about the air hat might follow through if I can find a nice you-pull-yard in/around Milwaukee. What I was thinking was getting a cone filter setting it up in the box (leaving the top off) then get better high flow plumbing from the hat to the box. NOT sure if this would even do anything for me?
I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Air intake by itself gets you nothing.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #21
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post
Gotta have priorities! Lol. What u thinking for a lift?
1.75" lift pucks + 0.75" stackable coil spring isolators (since mine look pretty much shot) all from IRO. Have to save $400 for everything including new shocks and alignment. I'm expecting to sit around 2.25" with my 235/75/15 BFG Rugged Terrains. Not going to get bigger tires because they were a graduation gift from my parents.
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSekora View Post
I'm not sure if you would see any gains. My 5.2 has a full k and n fipk intake. And I don't notice any gains but i have oversized tires.
The stock box is so good because of how well it protects against mud, debris, and etc.
Also to really see gains your going to have to redo the exhaust also. And for that you should talk to kolak. He'll recommend 3 inches with a high flow cat new muffler and to fix the part of the pipe is crimped.
The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Hey man I have a Rubicon express 2.25'' budget boost that is new and unused (since I went suspension lift) at my place I have no use for. Would love to help you get in the air cheaper than that! Lol. Pm me if you're interested
Mopar or no car!
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post

The previous owner put a new cat and muffler on within a few months before I bought it but the piping is all stock (stupid idea) and I don't know if they are high flow or not but i can tell you they aren't 3". Sounds like I'll have to start playing the lottery for that upgrade
Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSekora View Post
Haha. Same with mine (I've had her less then a month) and most likely isn't a high flow. They probably went the cheap route.
I'm putting on my flame suit now.... What I'm planning on doing is an e cutout. I know everyone here hates them but I like the sound of my 8. That way I can bypass my cat and muffler.
Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992
Rust converters are a joke. You cannot stop or convert rust. You can only seal it. Cut off the oxygen to it. That is what por15 does. I'd check amazon or else a local parts store should be able to get it. A few around here had it. Be prepared to shell out some coin though. It's like $50 a can and then the cleaner and metal prep and primer(if you buy their primer) are all more. I think the primer was around the same as the por15, but the others were around 20 each? Can't remember except that it was spendy. Lol. But if you hate rust as much as me it was well worth it
WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post

WRONG you can convert rust using chemicals. OSPHO is a brand of powerful rust converter that is phosphoric acid that converts the rust to iron phosphate which is inert. You can then use a salt remover and pressure washer to remove the rest of the contaminates from the metal and put down a good primer and paint.
Ok, I stand corrected. However, in a climate as salty as Iowa I've found you must SEAL it or it will come back. And most likely that is the one of the few high quality rust convertors. Just like por15 costs $45 more than rustoleum that also 'seals rust' lol. And just so you know, the second step of por15 is a metal prep that contains phosphoric acid as well and can also be used to convert rust only. So if you seal it with por15 after that and then light sand and topcoat you get extreme protection. Just my. 02
Mopar or no car!
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #28
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

My bad iron phosphate not phosphoric acid lol. It's too early yet
Mopar or no car!
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's why I followed up with using a salt remover and pressure washer, then prime and paint. This of course is an industrial solution but you can purchase these types of products at the right retailer. I don't believe any single coating system will actually stop rust, converted or not; also sorry for using the CAPITAL letters on you, you're right it is early.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Just get a Chevy pickup. I see those guys all the time. Extremely loud exhaust, hardly moving down the road lol clowns.
Haha. When I bought my jeep I wasn't expecting to go anywhere fast. Just saying.
I love my jeep and the sound she makes. I swear its the only pointless mod in planning.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.