My 5.2 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 Build Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

My 5.2 Build Thread

Bought it Mid-October for $1900 had 170k miles. The guy didn't like American made vehicles and had to drive distances to work. He already had a Toyota sitting in his drive.

Positives: New breaks, new muffler, new cat (neither are anything fancy), new 4WD switch, new headers, newer spark wires, new Die Hard Gold battery, and other little things.

Negatives: Plastic bumper is cracked (but stable), oil pan gasket leak, multiple dead interior lights, VIC being a VIC, crappy aftermarket radio, all 4 Infinity speakers blown, front leather seats are ripped, Good Year tires all with low & different tread wear & LEAKY, factory spare tire, VERY first owner was a smoker, dash heat doesn't work (floor and windshield work), A/C needs to be re-charged, front door pins need replacing, small/normal Wisconsin rust spots, rims weren't well taken care of, and probably other minor things.

Found the date on the PCM and Infinity amp of March 23, 1995. I'm assuming this is when she was born?

How she sat after buying:

imag0204.jpg  
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
DevonsJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats.
So whats first on the agenda?
DevonsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

The inside was cleaned out nicely, i spread baking soda everywhere on the floor to get rid of the minor smokers smell. It wasn't even bad when I bought it.

Fixed/Added list:

new lamps in the head lights
camo seat covers for the front
new BFG Rugged Terrain's (235/75/15)
good rim clean up
new fuel pump & filter, new PCM (both un-needed but keeping in anyway)
New 25A mini fuse (reason I replaced PCM and fuel pump)
paint touch up's over small rust spots
new rear wiper arm
JVC head unit
4 Pioneer speakers
compact Kenwood subwoofer
sawed off antenna and ran an internal one
replaced rusted interior panel screws
fixed loose tailgate panel
took out the VIC and made a cubby
repaired the loose center counsel
Stop leak in radiator

This is how she sits now:
imag0455-1.jpg  
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

pretty nice, is this your primary vehicle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

As you can see she's got the leaking cardboard under her don't want to ruin the drive anymore than I did already haha. So as Devon asked heres a list of things to do!

Get new radiator installed (graduation gift)
Fix door pins
Plasti-Dip rims black OR get them professionally cleaned up
Red LED interior lights (everything but the dash lights for now)
2" BB with new shocks from IRO
Front tow points
Hitch
AUX rear back-up light
Custom air intake (don't want the factory and don't want to pay a lot for one)
MAYBE a single 10" kicker...nothing too over-kill...
MAYBE front sway quick disconnects

The lights will be going in once they come in the mail. This is my daily driver. My family owns a cabin in the Upper Michigan, and I'll be doing some trailing there.

Random question: The worst rust spot I have is on the bottom of the running board near front fender where no one can see, would I be able to get away with plasti-dipping this to slow down the rust? What else can I do to help slow it down? After driving in the winter, once I parked at work, I'd take my snow brush and brush the whole underside to get ride of the built up snow/slush/ice
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Listed I took out my VIC and made a cubby heres a pic of it with my iTouch 4th Generation in it for size comparison. I pretty much took out the screen and two circuit boards then trimmed out some of the plastic in the basket, finally neatly put some Gorilla Duct Tape all around for grip and looks.
screen-shot-2013-04-23-8.36.55-am.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3
Listed I took out my VIC and made a cubby heres a pic of it with my iTouch 4th Generation in it for size comparison. I pretty much took out the screen and two circuit boards then trimmed out some of the plastic in the basket, finally neatly put some Gorilla Duct Tape all around for grip and looks.
You know 2wd zjs came from the factory with a cubby, right? Like $5-$10 at a junkyard, and it looks a lot better than a gutted Vic.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Hey that's a good idea, free to. I may do this.

I would just go to a yard, but I really have yet to find a good one in my area.

Like the Jeep! Looks exactly like mine when I first got it. Look forward to seeing the progress!

OH, And I would suggest dipping the rims, much cheaper. I wouldn't think it would be worth the money to get them painted the right way.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Thanks man! And I probably will end up dipping the rims. Hopefully it will happen soon along with my BB! Just need the money for it
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Ah finally got all my LED's. After consulting with my supervisor (degree in advertising art so she should have good color taste right?) I chose red. Looks pretty awesome honestly! I did just about everything BUT the dash lights/switch panels AND the lights on the front doors (drivers side doesn't work will fix it later). I also made a custom T-case shifter bezel. Forgot to open the glove box but I replaced that with a white LED because its more practical. Will do the dash in red eventually...

Bought from: http://www.superbrightleds.com

List of replaced lights:
Glove box...........................(194 wedge)
Lighter...............................(194 wedge)
A/C & Heat controls..............(x4 4mm high power neo bulbs)
Shifter...............................(194 wedge)
T-case shifter......................(194 wedge)
Ignition ring light.................(74 wedge)
Front foot well lights............(BA15S bulb)
Front ceiling lights...............(x2 578 Festoon)
Back seat ceiling lights.........(x2 194 wedge OR x2 906 wedge + 561 festoon [DIFFERENT THAN 578!])
Cargo light.........................(578 Festoon)

Total cost: $43.78 w/ shipping
yes.jpg   imag0478.jpg   imag0479.jpg   imag0480.jpg  
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Nice! I really like that deep red color. Looks great!

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

If you open up your drivers door. There will be a sticker which should tell you the manufacturing date.
And most of the guys on here will tell you to keep that factory box! But to do the Durango air hat swap.
For the rust most people I have talked to say use some steel wool and get the really bad rust off. Then prime and paint it. I don't see why plastidip wouldn't work.
Looks good man. Look forward to following this build.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

for the rust under my jeep i did it the right way(at least what works for someone who lives in one of the saltiest states). wire brush it as much as you can, clean it up, por 15 it(using their cleaner and metal prep of course), then light sand and undercoat. i did this to the underneath of my jeep and looks awesome. next will be to do it to the rockers and bottoms of the doors only instead of undercoating it will get self etching primer and factory paint should have easy access when the cladding is off getting painted lol. por 15 bonds to rust like noting ive ever seen. however if there are holes, then fiberglass bondo is your friend
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post
for the rust under my jeep i did it the right way(at least what works for someone who lives in one of the saltiest states). wire brush it as much as you can, clean it up, por 15 it(using their cleaner and metal prep of course), then light sand and undercoat. i did this to the underneath of my jeep and looks awesome. next will be to do it to the rockers and bottoms of the doors only instead of undercoating it will get self etching primer and factory paint should have easy access when the cladding is off getting painted lol. por 15 bonds to rust like noting ive ever seen. however if there are holes, then fiberglass bondo is your friend
Yea I might have to bondo it. My dad bought me some "rust converter" chemical to try. I'm thinking of using it on the lip of the hood (open it up, look right under the Jeep logo) and the whole bottom lip of the tail gate. They aren't BAD but I just don't want it to get worse. Where can I find Por 15? Just did a quick search online and Menards nor Home Cheapo have it.
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSekora View Post
If you open up your drivers door. There will be a sticker which should tell you the manufacturing date.
And most of the guys on here will tell you to keep that factory box! But to do the Durango air hat swap.
For the rust most people I have talked to say use some steel wool and get the really bad rust off. Then prime and paint it. I don't see why plastidip wouldn't work.
Looks good man. Look forward to following this build.
Just found a link about the air hat might follow through if I can find a nice you-pull-yard in/around Milwaukee. What I was thinking was getting a cone filter setting it up in the box (leaving the top off) then get better high flow plumbing from the hat to the box. NOT sure if this would even do anything for me?

Tags
5.2l , build thread , limited , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.