Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My 5.2 build, the free Jeep.

68K views 413 replies 45 participants last post by  Myusername1674 
#1 ·
Here's my Jeep build, nothing to crazy, and for the most part nothing that hasn't been done before. It's a student build as i myself am in school. It is also a student build since I have had to learn everything that I have done to it. So with that in mind please, read on.

The first big post was from 2012 when I first moved the thread over from a different site

Just an fyi, this thread is picture heavy! I sorta like taking pictures and documenting stuff, makes me feel like I'm doing something. :highfive:

All that aside here's my Jeep when I first got her and then with the current setup

My Jeep:
5.2L V8
NP231
Lockright front
Super 35 w/ Detroit Rear
4.5 front lift, Adjustable CA's
RE front double sheer trackbar
5ish rear, Adjustable CA's
JKS rear trackbar
Trimmed
35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar
Black Soft 8's
RC winch plate+homemade tube front bumper
Smittybilt XRC
KOR d-ring shackles front
Trailer hitch d-ring rear
Other Stuff below [not an exhaustive list, I've done other minor cosmetic things]

Stuff
Cowl Snorkel
Exhaust Snorkel
Bumper Fascia Removed, Painted Metal
Front Windows Tinted
Floor Bedline
NP249>NP231 Swap
Trimming, Front Bumper
Lock Right Locker
Trimmed Fenders
4.5 lift
Disconnects
CB Mount
Doorless ZJ Mod Write Up
RC Winch plate and Winch
Bedlined lower quarter
Super 35
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar
Front Bumper

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wheeling Trips
First Prentice Cooper Trip
Second Prentice Cooper Trip
Third Prentice Cooper Trip
Video of 3rd Prentice
Fourth Prentice Cooper Trip
AOP.1
AOP.2

----------------------------------------------------------------

Misc:
High flow cat exhaust sound/nighttime mudding
Old Photoshoot
Messin' Around
Wasted $
My Buddy got a Jeep
Throwback wheeling

See less See more
#168 ·
Okay so having noise troubles as always... Here's the latest.

I'm guessing that I have a loose tcase chain and that the chain is rubbing the case outside. Now on a normal np231 setup the front driveshaft shouldn't spin when in 2wd, thus making it so that the chain doesn't even move unless you switch to 4wd. However I have a locker in the front, I've heard that if the front is locked then the front ds will always be spinning. With that being the case I'm going to go and remove my front ds to see if that will stop the noise. Any other thoughts anyone? If this doesn't fix it then I'm sure I'll be searching more and likely starting a thread on the forums.

Man I really wish I could go just one month without having to spend money to fix this thing... :rolleyes:

#171 ·
Now on a normal np231 setup the front driveshaft shouldn't spin when in 2wd, thus making it so that the chain doesn't even move unless you switch to 4wd.
no the front ds will always turn regardless of a locker. the only way to keep that from spinning either remove it to test it or get some selectable hubs.

#175 ·
Okay so I pulled the front driveshaft, noise is gone. So I'm rockin' no front driveshaft until I buy a new chain. Also I fixed my popping noise in the front end, ended up just being the track bar that was loose. I tightened up the bolts and no popping. :thumbsup:

Got some spare axle shafts for the dana 30 for $60 from a member on here, check him out he's got an ad in the classifieds section and he's got lots of good used parts for stock axles.

Here's the heep as she sits now, can't wait to get my lift done. I've been piecing together my lift as well, have rear springs and extended sway bar links. Hopefully my front control arms will be in soon. Still need track bars, front lift springs and rear control arms. Planning to have it done this January though!

#179 ·
Eh I haven't decided yet. I'm probably going to try and find some used 33s, but then again I may stay on 31s. I haven't gotten that far thinking ahead :laugh: Depending on how much lift my rear v8 coils net I will probably be keeping at least two of the spacers. But really you can get them so cheap new on amazon I'd just go that route man.

#186 ·
Thanks man! She's far from done but i've got a good start for sure! As far as bump stops go yes i did extend them.

On the rear i cut a block of wood to two inches from my dads wood shop, i then bought longer bolts at ace and bolted up the old bumpstops to the wood. Basically just making a spacer. On the front i jb welded hockey pucks to the springs perches, that lasted for about a year and when the jb weld broke the pucks escaped. So i resorted to chop off my fenders and have more up travel.

The shocks i got are extended and they came with the lift kit. It was just a simple amazon 2" spacer kit with shocks, was like $180. It's the cheepest new bb+shock kit you can get pretty much. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

#187 ·
So the other day I was searching through my local craiglist to see what I could see, and I found a guy with some 96 zj black leather seats. The best thing about these said seats is that he didn't want anything for them! So guess who has new (to me) black seats in his jeep?

My old torn seats. It's a bad picture, but if you can see the tears in the drivers seat, and the passenger front has an even bigger tear in the same place.

And newish ones

So yeah! Pretty happy to have some better seats in, especially for nothing but the gas it took to go get them. :highfive:

#191 ·
Soon man, soon, it'll probably be springtime, I gotta finish the lift and then change my tcase chain. It's gonna be a shock wheeling as I'll have a higher cog and a locked front, I should be able to do a lot more though :thumbsup:

Saw your FB post on the tear down. How's she coming?
Well I'm a little bit of a slow worker, :laugh: the rear is all taken apart and I'm currently changing the bushings in my control arms (new bushings just arrived today, only reason I took it apart yesterday was because it was my only off day.) I should have the rear on the ground sunday and have the front done next wednesday assuming the front suspension comes in by then.

#196 ·
So I've owned a jeep for over two years now, and I decided it's about time I learn to weld. Found a good buy on craigslist. Stickmate LX 235 AC/160 DC Stick Welder with a hobart hood for $350! Retail on just the welder is $6-700, so I think I got a good deal. I tested it at the guys house before I bought it to make sure it all worked fine.

#201 ·
4.5 lift

Finally got my lift finished up today! It consists of

RE front double shear track bar
JKS rear track bar
Teraflex upper adjustables front and rear
RE front lower adjustables
RC rear lower adjustables
RE front 4.5 springs
V8 springs rear + 2 inch spacer (5")
Homemade/iro/jks quick disconnects

I bought all the control arms used from forum members, the jks track bar was from ebay, the RE track bar and springs were from Kolak. All and all I'm pretty happy with it, front is sitting right at 4.5 inches, rear is somewhere between 5 and 5.5, but it'll get weighed down once all my tools and spare tire go back in...

Oh and I guess I should post some pictures

Rear done, the 'hot rod' stance

Front done

#203 ·
Thanks man! Probably going to stay on my 31s for awhile, I bought em brand new a little over a year ago and don't feel like buying new tires again. :laugh: I'm trying to find some cheap used 33s to use as weekend trail tires though. And yeah I could fit 35s, but I don't think these axles are up to it

#207 ·
Sadly not yet, I still gotta fix my 4wd first, then buy longer shocks as I'm still using the ones that came with my 2 inch lift. Not suggested mind you as the ride is rooouuugh :rofl:

I say stay at 33s, you can't stuff 35s like you can 33s. I'm completely not trimmed, on a 6in left (measured 24in) and the 33s fit nicely. I'll flex her out probably tomorrow. I believe I have stock 3.73 gears as well. I need to regear. Swapping cases come first! Then I'll do the rear gears first, then the front....oh! I'm going with 4.56s.
Yeah, that's a very good point, I have so many reasons not to go with 35s. Gearing, locked d30, d35 rear, no flex, mpg... The list goes on. So yeah 33s will be the plan, but for now 31s. It does look sorta goofy on them 31s though hahah

Looks sick

do-bag
Thanks man! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.