My 5.2 build, the free Jeep. - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 build, the free Jeep.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #241
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radean84 View Post
How you like the Cobra classic? I think I'm going to get one of those.
I like it so far, it's my first cb radio, and I don't have it tuned in very well, but with my little experience I can say I have zero complaints so far, the lights in the background are really nice

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #242
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674
Used the ol' zj to tow my next project Any guesses? Also these doors come off really easy, I should have done this years ago sent from, uh
The wiring wasn't a pain to deal with when you took off the doors?
ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #243
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

there's either a screw of its clipped together better yet you remove them yourself? there flippen heavy.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #244
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_red-zj View Post
The wiring wasn't a pain to deal with when you took off the doors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
there's either a screw of its clipped together better yet you remove them yourself? there flippen heavy.
Yep just a screw to undue the wire harness. Annnd no, hahah I had a friend help me, and I also used a trash can under the door to help with holding it.

Unread 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #245
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Sweet. Maybe I'll do that when it gets warmer!
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #246
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I took the doors off the niner myself little help from the floor jack putting them back on, it's not horrible, but it's not fun.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #247
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Doorless ZJ Mod Write Up

Copied from my write up here

So I've seen lots of threads of those xj guys modding their door hinges to make for easy door removal, so I got to thinking; why not try this on my zj?

Tools needed:

10mm socket with ratchet and extensions
T25 torx bit
Dremmal or similar cutting tool
1/2" drill bit with drill
Welder

Parts needed:

Zj door
1/2" clevis pins x2 (Per door)
Spare metal for bracing (optional)

First thing you've gotta do is take your doors off and unplug the wiring harness (on the pre 96 zj this is done by unscrewing the t25 bolt that holds the harness in.)

If you can find a trash can or a chair that fits under your door it makes life easier

Next your going to want to cut off the bottom of the doors hinge like so

You want to do this on top and bottom, you should be left with this

Next you'll tap out the old pins as well as the bushings on the part of the hinge that attaches to the jeep itself.

Now take your 1/2" drill bit and drill the pin hole on the door side of the hinges to 1/2" size. Take your 1/2" clevis pin and slide it in (note you will need to cut the top clevis pin to approximately 1" in order to make it clear the body line on the door)

Now weld the clevis pin in on the top and bottom hinge, making sure to keep the pin straight so that it will line up fine.

I also took this time to cut out some box tubing to use as extra support on the hinge to keep it from bending. This is the result after painting Note I'm very new to welding, so don't judge

The top clevis pin is around 1" long, and the bottom one is around 2" long, this is helpful for installing as you can do the bottom one first, then the top. Also when you cut the pins make sure to grind the edges to make a point so that the doors will slide in easier

Here's the hinges on the Jeep

With the door slide back on

The door lines up surprisingly well, it sits ever so slightly low, so in order to compensate for this I bent the Jeep side hinge up ever so slightly. I will later go back and weld a washer or two onto the door hinge in order to help it line up. That's it, door removal made easy

Video of doors in action (jeepforums being picky and is only posting the link and not the video

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #248
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Welded my glasspack back on, nice to have a muffler again, that jeep was loud...

On a side note, Jeep Jamboree called me today and told me they have an open spot on the oak ridge trip next week. I'm gonna have to push hard to get off of work but hopefully I can make it out

Unread 04-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #249
BubbasZJay
1996 ZJ 

Needs moar videos! It's looking so good

do-bag
BubbasZJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #250
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

So ever since the lift I've been battling driveline vibes from the rear driveshaft. For awhile I blamed it on improper pinion angle, but after a few weeks of tuning I got the angle almost perfect, however I still had vibrations. After doing some researching I realized that the problem was with the driveshaft itself. As some of you may recall I had my stock shaft shortened last fall to fit my 2"bb with the 231 ext slip yoke case. Well with the taller lift my shortened driveshaft was too short. So I bought a different shaft from a forum member on here, however the one I got from him was slightly too long (I knew this before I purchased it). So to fix this I stretched the rear axle back around an inch. And now, I am about 95% vibration free.

Before "stretch"

After

It's easier to tell a difference in person, but I did move it back

Unread 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #251
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Looks good bud..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #252
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Looks good bud..
Thanks man!

Unread 04-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #253
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

hit a little mud the other day, my buddy called me up telling me he was stuck out in some trail. So I go out there, tug him out, then as I'm backing up I slip into the ruts and get hung up on my axles

Driving fail on my part It got me thinking though, I really need a winch. So I ordered up the RC winch plate, haven't decided what winch yet, I want to get a Warn, we'll see if money allows.

Unread 04-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #254
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Looks like a good time! After my last mudding trip a winch is also up on the list.
Unread 04-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #255
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674
hit a little mud the other day, my buddy called me up telling me he was stuck out in some trail. So I go out there, tug him out, then as I'm backing up I slip into the ruts and get hung up on my axles Driving fail on my part It got me thinking though, I really need a winch. So I ordered up the RC winch plate, haven't decided what winch yet, I want to get a Warn, we'll see if money allows.
The smittybilt xrc8 is great for $299. And I scored an ARB bullbar off Craigslist so I would sell you my old winch bumper. Not familiar with how that works though, I guess we would just have to trust each other for me to send it and you to send the money?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.