My 5.2 build, the free Jeep. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 build, the free Jeep.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #151
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
You locked the front? Cost? If you get snow, let me know how it performs!
Sure did got it from Kolak for $219 shipped, I meant to add that to my write up actually, I'm gonna go do that. and it hardly ever snows here, if it does happen to snow I'll let you know though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCjunkie93 View Post
Damn nice writeup dude. After I get my 231 I'm gunna start looking at lockers.

Thanks man! Yeah man! I just can't wait to go test it out for real, I did a little backyard crawling earlier and it performed great! Make sure to check with Kolak and see if he can get you a good deal.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #152
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

[QUOTE="Myusername1674;17221866"]

Sure did got it from Kolak for $219 shipped, I meant to add that to my write up actually, I'm gonna go do that. and it hardly ever snows here, if it does happen to snow I'll let you know though!

I want to electronic lock one of my axles...only if I win the lottery
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #153
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

So little note on the locker. It works fine! Buuuut cv axles don't work very well at all. I'm only on 31s and snapped one crawling up a stump in my yard.

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

Unread 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #154
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

[quote=ZJNewbi3;17227378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post

I want to electronic lock one of my axles...only if I win the lottery
You could go the same route i did, 231 swap and a lunchbox. That gives you a selectable front locker (selectable meaning you can choose not to use it by putting it in rwd.) Total cost for all that for me was only around $450.

Unread 10-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #155
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Is the 231 a strong case and not much hassle to swap? Sounds like a great idea... I hear lockers are horrible in the snow because they can kick in at a bad time an screw you up. If you have electronic (or the set up you have) would that make a locker beneficial for the snow?

Logically, if mother nature dumps 16" of snow on us, I can start my jeep, throw her into 4hi (or lo) and ill b on my way with one locked axle.

Then when spring comes around, ill switch her back to 2H and not utilize the front axle locker?

Is this correct? (Sorry lockers confuse me big time)
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #156
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Is the 231 a strong case and not much hassle to swap? Sounds like a great idea... I hear lockers are horrible in the snow because they can kick in at a bad time an screw you up. If you have electronic (or the set up you have) would that make a locker beneficial for the snow?

Logically, if mother nature dumps 16" of snow on us, I can start my jeep, throw her into 4hi (or lo) and ill b on my way with one locked axle.

Then when spring comes around, ill switch her back to 2H and not utilize the front axle locker?

Is this correct? (Sorry lockers confuse me big time)
From what I've read the 231 is about equal in strength the the 249. (and the 249 is actually pretty good despite common belief, it's just impractical when the vc goes out, and impractical for my use). I have heard that the 231 is stronger than the 242 though.

From all the stuff I've read, and based on how mine now drives in the dirt. I believe you are correct, if you copy my set up you should be fine driving it in the snow in 4hi with the locker engaged, then when there's no snow just put it back into 2hi which disengages the locker and go on being happy.

Unread 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #157
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

From what I've read the 231 is about equal in strength the the 249. (and the 249 is actually pretty good despite common belief, it's just impractical when the vc goes out, and impractical for my use). I have heard that the 231 is stronger than the 242 though.

From all the stuff I've read, and based on how mine now drives in the dirt. I believe you are correct, if you copy my set up you should be fine driving it in the snow in 4hi with the locker engaged, then when there's no snow just put it back into 2hi which disengages the locker and go on being happy.
Might look into it then. We get a pretty decent snow fall around here and I plan on moving to Upper Michigan so it'll sure come in handy. Project has to wait til next summer tho time to save money and do my homework on it.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #158
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Might look into it then. We get a pretty decent snow fall around here and I plan on moving to Upper Michigan so it'll sure come in handy. Project has to wait til next summer tho time to save money and do my homework on it.
Yeah, i'd suggest researching some info on how lockers in the front handle in snow. I'm sure some tj and xj guys have done it, if not other zj guys as well.

Probably smart, do your research and make sure you know what you want first. I've found it's easiest for me to buy things in segments, that way you don't have a huge stack of money sitting in a bank begging to get spent on other items. So first just start working on gettimg a case, then move from there.

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #159
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The 231 isn't as strong as the 249 by default, the middle number is actually a strength rating, four being better than three. The 231 does have the best aftermarket support of the three cases and can be beefed up to be stronger than the 249 or 242.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #160
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 231 isn't as strong as the 249 by default, the middle number is actually a strength rating, four being better than three. The 231 does have the best aftermarket support of the three cases and can be beefed up to be stronger than the 249 or 242.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum
Ahh gotcha, just going by what i'd read. But you can't trust errebody so thanks for setting me straight

Unread 10-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #161
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

How does your locker activate exactly? when it senses a slip? or is it locked at all times?
Unread 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #162
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
How does your locker activate exactly? when it senses a slip? or is it locked at all times?
Lunchbox type lockers (Like mine) activate when you press the throttle. When you press the throttle in 4wd it puts pressure on my locker in the front, activating it and locking the front axles together. When I let off the throttle the locker disengages and opens back up.

This setup in rear wheel drive means that I don't even notice the locker when I drive on the street, as the transfer case is not putting anu pressure on the front driveshaft/axle. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it all works.

Unread 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #163
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Lunchbox type lockers (Like mine) activate when you press the throttle. When you press the throttle in 4wd it puts pressure on my locker in the front, activating it and locker the front axles together. When I let off the throttle the locker disengages and opens back up.

This setup in rear wheel drive means that I don't even notice the locker when I drive on the street, as the transfer case is not putting and pressure on the front driveshaft/axle. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it all works.
Interesting...did you take it on the highway or over 40mph yet in 2wd? I wouldnt imagine that being any more different than it being in AWD with the 249.

Looking at the transmission Saturday. Have to drop the pan and replace the seal+filter. Hopefully I don't run into a lot of shavings or else a rebuild will come before this mod
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #164
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Interesting...did you take it on the highway or over 40mph yet in 2wd? I wouldnt imagine that being any more different than it being in AWD with the 249.

Looking at the transmission Saturday. Have to drop the pan and replace the seal+filter. Hopefully I don't run into a lot of shavings or else a rebuild will come before this mod
Haven't been on the highway yet, but i have been on some back roads at around 50. It drives pretty much the same, except you can do burnouts Though I've only done that like twice, I don't wanna mess up my tires so I don't do it much.

Hope the best for ya man, I've heard some shavings are expected to be found, not sure if that's true or not. I found a few tiny shavings in mine when I dropped it and changed over the summer.

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #165
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Trimmed Fenders

Borrowed my friends dremmel to trim back my fenders, I still need to clean up the cut some, but who know's if I'll ever do that

Here's some pics, it turned out pretty well all things considered.

I sanded down the edges and tossed some bedliner stuff on to hopefully keep it from rusting.

I'm probably going on a weekend camping/wheeling trip here in a week or two, I can't wait

Also through on my lock right sticker!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.