My 5.2 build, the free Jeep. - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 5.2 build, the free Jeep.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #136
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

I'm surprised you are lifting it as much as you are at 235k miles! I'm not lifting mine possibly and I have 203k (still fixing it, also free jeep 95 Laredo 5.2). I might do a 1" bb and 30s but I already bought stock height rear shocks and don't know how bad it would be to use them

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #137
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
I'm surprised you are lifting it as much as you are at 235k miles! I'm not lifting mine possibly and I have 203k (still fixing it, also free jeep 95 Laredo 5.2). I might do a 1" bb and 30s but I already bought stock height rear shocks and don't know how bad it would be to use them
Hey 203k isn't bad! Do you know if it was well taken care of? That will determine it's future life a lot. I have every record from my Jeep up until I got it two years ago. (It's never been outside of my close relatives.)

I'm only at a 2inch bb, and I may never go higher, I may just start chopping this Jeep and wheeling it as is, that could be an option for you.

Honestly Ithough, I question my own sanity some times. I'm seriously considering buying a little four cylinder import... ...as much as I hate too. But if i did that I could park the jeep and use it for weekend riding more, without worrying about breaking my dd so much.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #138
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

having my caliber saves me LOTS in gas.
xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #139
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Trimming, Front Bumper

Well I kinda got a wild hair and decided it was time I start some cutting on this Jeep. Who know's if I'll do more later or not, but for now I just trimmed the sides off the front bumper. I can't decide if I like how it looks at alll, but at least it's out of the way!

I need to clean up the edges still and hammer a few things down, who know's, maybe this will motivate me to buy a welder and make something for the front.

Unread 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #140
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Where did you move the airbag sensors? (I assume thats what the square sensor things are)

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #141
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Where did you move the airbag sensors? (I assume thats what the square sensor things are)
I just did it right before I went to work, so I haven't had a chance to relocate them properly. I'm thinking I'll drill them back into either the middle of what's left of the bumper, or into the fenders. Have any ideas?

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #142
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Looks good man! I still plan on trimming my bumper too, I lost all motivation for everything jeep related after my track bar snapped. Where did you relocate the charcoal canister to?

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #143
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
Looks good man! I still plan on trimming my bumper too, I lost all motivation for everything jeep related after my track bar snapped. Where did you relocate the charcoal canister to?
Thanks man! The charcoal canister I moved under the hood, I've got the old school big circle one, but you can just zip tie it in where the intake used to be.

Unread 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #144
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post

Thanks man! The charcoal canister I moved under the hood, I've got the old school big circle one, but you can just zip tie it in where the intake used to be.
Nice I may just go the zip tie route myself, I just gotta figure out what I wanna do with my intake to make thst work.

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #145
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Hey 203k isn't bad! Do you know if it was well taken care of? That will determine it's future life a lot. I have every record from my Jeep up until I got it two years ago. (It's never been outside of my close relatives.)

I'm only at a 2inch bb, and I may never go higher, I may just start chopping this Jeep and wheeling it as is, that could be an option for you.

Honestly Ithough, I question my own sanity some times. I'm seriously considering buying a little four cylinder import... ...as much as I hate too. But if i did that I could park the jeep and use it for weekend riding more, without worrying about breaking my dd so much.
What do you mean by chopping it? It'll be my DD for years to come hopefully once it's done haha. Might do a 1" bb and 30s. However that would require new tires and the current ones on it are new..

The PO is my grandma and they treated it pretty well I think though it has probably seen very light offroad since she has 400 acres.
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #146
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
What do you mean by chopping it? It'll be my DD for years to come hopefully once it's done haha. Might do a 1" bb and 30s. However that would require new tires and the current ones on it are new..

The PO is my grandma and they treated it pretty well I think though it has probably seen very light offroad since she has 400 acres.
Oh I just mean like trimming my fenders back more and stuffing oversized tires on her. One inch bb would be pretty relaxed, honestly these Jeeps should have sat at the height you get from a two inch bb, that would have made them twice as capable from the factory just by adding those two inches.

Unread 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #147
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Haha well, I already had purchased shocks that are for stock height but will only really go safely to 1" bb, not 2". Kolak said he was concerned if I tried to put a 2" bb on them. I could sell them yeah but my father had purchased them and I dont want to go through the hassle.
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #148
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Lock Right Locker Dana 30

Alright, I installed my locker today!

I did a write up of it, so i figured I'd copy and paste it into my build, so here it is:

Okay, so I know there is plenty of write ups out there for a lunchbox locker for the dana 30, but I haven't found one specific to our zjs. Not that it's really any different of a process from other Jeeps, but I figured I'd still go ahead and make a write up of what I did tonight. This isn't the most heavily detailed write up, but it should be enough to help, or at least that is my hope.

Got the locker from Kolak, great price and got it within a week! Very pleased with his business.

Here's what you'll need: (Some of this list is copied from a separate Dana 30 write up)
• Dana 30 lunchbox type locker. I went with the Powertrax Lock-Right locker 2210-LR
• basic hand tools with ratchet and socket set.
• 12 point 13mm socket for the axle shaft bolts
• Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• 3/16" punch
• Bench Vice
• Vice-Grips
• Floor Jack
• Jack Stands
• Wheel Chocks
• Zip Ties
• PB Blaster
• Oil Drain Pan
• Gasket Scraper
• Hi-Temp RTV
• 1 Gallon Milk Jug
• Brake cleaner (spray can)
• Hand pump or funnel (for refilling diff when done)

Most of the stuff you probably already have if you work on cars a lot, but you may need to go and get oil and greese.

Here's all my stuff

Okay now we can start; go ahead and chock your rear tires and put the front end up on jack stands. Remove both wheels and place them under the lower control arms. Remove brakes (should be 11mm or 13mm, mine are mismatched side to side so they are both) and place them on top of the tires so that they do not hang by the brake lines.

You'll need to go ahead and drain out you differential. Get a drain pan out and put it under the diff, use a 13 mm to take the bolts off. Drain out the old fluid and let it drain while you work on the axle shafts.

Now take your 12 point 13 mm socket, and take out the 3 bolts that hold the axle shaft on, you may want to spray these bolts down with pb blaster beforehand. Remove all bolts from each side, then remove the axle shafts and place them safely on the ground or on your tires.

Next your going to want to remove the carrier, first mark the bearing caps, as they need to go back exactly as they were. I didn't have any sort of white marker or chalk, so I opted to simply write on them with some anti-seize.

Now you can unbolt all four bolts (I can't remember what size, I think 15mm naybe?) and remove the caps. Place them safely down under the jeep.

Next remove the carrier, being careful to note which bearing rings go to which bearing. To get the carrier out you need to turn it sideways and angle it under the tie rod. I know it will fit under the 5.2 tie rod, not sure about the 4.0 as I know it is a slightly different design.

Here's my bearing retainer caps and rings all set up to show where they go.

Now you should have the carrier all out and ready to break down.

At this point most people will place their carrier in a vice so that they can remove the ring gear bolts. I myself do not own a vice, so I had to come up with something else. I placed the carrier between two square boards. I then clamped the boards together with wood clamps from my dads wood shop. I'm sure a vice is much easier, but this is what I had around.

Next make sure you mark your ring gear to the carrier itself, that way you know it will go back on properly. (Again my anti-seize)

Next you'll need a 3/16" punch, or something of similar size to remove the rolling pin. You should see a hole on the bottom of the carrier, facing towards where the ring gear sits. This is where you'll find the pin.

Next punch out the shaft that holds the spider gears in, then remove the spider gears.

Now you should have an empty carrier, half way there!

Take the thrust washers off of the spider gears and place the onto the locker side gears, now spread grease onto the front and back of the side gears and place them into the carrier.

Greased up

Now insert the pins into the cam gears (This is specific to the Lock Right model, other types such as an Aussie locker will have you install the pins later.)

Now you need to insert the springs into the oval shaped holes in the locker, push them down and snap them into place. (Again, Lock Right specific, other lockers are slightly different on this part)

You should now have this

Now insert the new shaft that should have come with your locker

Insert the rolling pin

Time to put the ring gear back on, line up the ring gear and carrier back to their marks, get your lock tight out and spread some on the ring bolts. Now tighten them down in a star like pattern to 80 ft/lbs.

You should now be ready to put the carrier back in!

Re-install the same way it came out.

Make sure to line up your marks on the bearing caps

That's pretty much it, just throw the axle shafts back in (torque them to 75 ft/lbs), put your brakes and tires on. Make sure to clean the differential out with brake cleaner, and also clean the edges of any leftover rtv from the last fluid change. Now Rtv and bolt the diff cover back up, fill up with fluid and you should be good to go!

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #149
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

You locked the front? Cost? If you get snow, let me know how it performs!
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #150
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Damn nice writeup dude. After I get my 231 I'm gunna start looking at lockers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.