Is my 1994 GC Toast? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is my 1994 GC Toast?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-21-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
sam270

Is my 1994 GC Toast?

Greetings - I just picked up a 1994 GC Laredo. The car looked great, drove well, and was priced right so I went for it. Now I'm told by my mechanic that the front drive shaft has been removed and the car is only in 2 wheel drive. On top of that, when the car is cold it shifts poorly for the first few minutes. It gets better once the car is warmed up. Any theories why anyone would remove a drive shaft? And any inexpensive theories on what's up with my tranny. The car is a 6 cylinder w/124000 miles.
Thanks all.

sam270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
MJR

There is a TSB for delayed shifting in cold weather for the first 1/4 mile after it sits for 8 hours or so that has them check the pressure and install some new seals for the governor drive. The dealer would have the details and I don't know what it would cost.
Unread 12-22-2002, 05:41 AM   #3
whitebomber

How long have you had the rig? I would head right back to the dealer. To me you have a valid reason to negate the deal as the vehicle is implied to be a 4x4 vehicle. Especially if it was ever stated, either on paper or verbally that it was 4x4. If it was a matter of it just not working then that might be different but if things have been removed making it impossible to do I think you have a valid case. It's possible the dealer would be just as surprised as you to find out it's not able to be put in 4wheel drive.

I would head on over and very constructively explain the situation and see how they react. You might be pleasently surprised or you might have to push you point.
'90/'91 4dr Montero's - gone but not forgotten

Impulse eliminates planning ... that's a good thing
whitebomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.