My 18,000 mile Safari - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 18,000 mile Safari

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
dizdealz

My 18,000 mile Safari

I rarely post anything on message boards. But I just wanted to share my summer vacation with you Cherokee owners.

This past summer I took the family on a 9 week, 18,000 mile journey across the US. We started from our home on the east coast and drove the southern route.

It was me, the wife, our 12 year old and the family Beagle. We packed, and pack and overloaded the Cherokee. The roof rack was packed, the back was packed. ( got a hitch haul and packed that ). Hit the army/navy store and bought duffel bags and a waterproof tarp and strapped them to the roof rack. We were top heavy and back heavy.

The looks we got as we passed through towns was funny. And on trails people would tell us that we would never make it.

We hit every national park and national forest from the outerbanks to Organ pipe, to Arches and Bryce. We hit every trail we could find. We camped on the sides of mountains, camped in the bottoms of canyons. The Cherokee made it's way with or without trails. Rock, mud, sand it did it.

The Cherokee never hesitated. No matter how steep the fireroad or trail, it did it.

I even got to tow out one of those isuzu's from a ditch. I guess the isuzu ads are wrong, you really do need the capabilities of cherokee. ( Still not sure how it couldn't get out by itself ).

We vacationed in a jeep commerical. It was incredible.

A few afterthoughts about it all.

I never liked the ride or wear of my oem goodyear tires. And they were completely worn down by the end our trip. But they did perform extremely well during our trip. Not one blow out. With an overloaded vehicle, through extreme conditions. from blazing heat in arizona to the mountians in colorado. I will never say anything bad about them again. They performed well.

We own all jeeps.. 2 wranglers and a grand cherokee. The wranglers i just drive, anywhere, anytime. The only reason we didn't take a wrangler on our trip was the space.

I always underestimated the raw power of the cherokee. You put the cherokee in 4-lo, and there is nothing stopping it. i still cannot believe how well this thing performed on the trails and mechanically.

dizdealz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Maverick04

sweet man sounds like yall had a blast. im tellin ya the grand cherokee is better than it sounds.
Maverick04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.