My '02 GC Died This Morning - Help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My '02 GC Died This Morning - Help.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
KellyN

My '02 GC Died This Morning - Help.

Hello.

Usually it fires right up, but this morning it was "Shug shug shug shug shug shug shug vroooom!".

I thought to myself, well, it is winter here in freezing San Diego. Maybe it was just a bit cold.

I drove about 2 miles and it just stopped. Good thing I was at a stoplight. It started right back up again, no problems.

Pulling into the Starbucks parking lot it died again. Now I'm a pretty strong guy and it was pretty tough to steer, good thing my wife wasn't driving or someone would be dead.

I noticed that my clock was reset back to 12:00. All the gauges read normal. Last week the check engine light came on, but I think it was because my gas cap was loose. Anyways, it was off this morning as well.

Any clue what this might be? Battery perhaps?

Thanks,

Kelly
2002 Jeep GC Limited
V8 HO
35k miles

KellyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I don't think it had anything to do with the cold becuase I assure you it is at leasat twice as cold were I am! Around here if it is above 32 right now I think about waring shorts!!! NO JOKE!

ANYWAY I would take your Jeep to the dealer (Only becuase it should still be under warrenty) and have them check the alternator and the batt.
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Tell the dealer that your check engine light came on also so that they read the codes.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

But don't do the dealer unless it is under warranty still...Autozone/checker/etc... will check it for free. My bet is your battery or alternator as well

*An 02 isn't normally under warranty still unless you buy the extended warranty...is 3 years or 36k miles, which ever comes first...is past the 3 year mark...
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

When the battery is low, the electrical system (which controls the fuel system etc.) does not function normally.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
KellyN

It passed the warrenty in June. And I just passed 35k miles last month.

This car is really p-ing me off because right as the warrenty expired the problems began:

1) The driver side heated seat burnt out. It literally turned 500 degrees then didn't work anymore.

2) The dual zone climate controls only work on the driver side. The passenger side just blows cold air.

3) Now the current problem (all in the last 2 weeks)

I'll take it down to the autoparts store and check the codes.

Any other ideas?

Kelly
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

Wow all that in a few weeks? Sorry to hear that. Where in San Diego are you, I grew up there.
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

1. ouch
2. blend door. do a search around here and you'll see it's a very common problem.
3. I'd suspect a dead or almost dead battery or a bad alternator. Go to an autozone, checkers, etc. and have them read the codes from the CEL. I'm gonna guess it's the code saying the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
KellyN

Thanks for your help.

Seriously, when that seat got hot it was like my nuts were in a frying pan. I was using my elbows to prop myself up until I found a spot to pull over.

Oh.. I'm in the Bay Park Area..
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

The seat heating element is probably worn out. You can get a repair kit for $25 or so at the dealer. You can do a search as fixes have been posted for that as well.

Check your battery connections. If you are able to crank the engine after it dies, it makes me believe the battery has enough juice to get the job done. If the alternator was gone, the battery would also be dead when you went to crank it again. If you connections are loose, you would all of a sudden experience a stall and your clocks and stuff would reset.

Hopefully you get this sucker figured out.
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
MtnbikerWJ

Loose or corroded battery connections will cause those symptoms
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
coolest_Stan

check the ground to your starter. I had similar problems, and when I fixed my grounds evyerthing worked perfectly. ALthough your jeep is realtively new so that may not be the problem.
New Coolant Resevoir Cap
Current Projects:
coolest_Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
KellyN

Update:

Ok, I got the car home... popped the hood and there was a buncha corrision around the battery terminals. I used some baking soda and water to clean them off (worked like a charm) and it started right up.

I lett'r run for about 10 minutes, hopped in and gave'r a few revs and when I pull my foot off the gas it stalls. I also ran the a/c and the lights at the same time to see if it was draining the battery at all, and the needle moved a little, but not significantly.

Any thoughts ?
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Drive 'er to Autozone/Checker/etc... and have the battery/alternator tested.
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #15
KellyN

Thanks

Took it to Autozone..

Alternater is good.. I replaced the battery and cleaned the connections. Seems ok now.. hopefully. The lease is up on this guy/gal in a few months and she's going back to the dealer for sure.

Doesn't make sense to pay to get the seats and the heater fixed under these circumstances.

What really pissed me off was when I took the car to the dealer they mentioned that my warrenty expired in June and I told them that they either fix it now and make me happy and I'll consider buying another Jeep or fix it when I return it and I'll never buy another Jeep..

They decided that they didn't need me, after 2 jeeps in 5 years. Pity.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.