Multiple Issues. Lets see if i can get some help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Multiple Issues. Lets see if i can get some help.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Multiple Issues. Lets see if i can get some help.

Alright, i am going to explain this to its full potential and see if i can get any help. Between these issues i have been on the computer searching for solutions for over 7hrs. so hopefully i dont get answers like search this or that lol. This short list may help out with problem #2 I have replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, cleaned iac, battery, pcv valve

(1)Ok the first issue has been going on for about 2 months or so off and on. It seems to only happen in overdrive above 50mph. What happens is the rpms will jump up for a split second (the rpms actually do jump up i can feel the jeep surge, so it isnt the gauge) it seems that the trans will down shift out of overdrive and then shift back into overdrive. Sometimes it wont do it when i drive the jeep, sometimes it will do it once, and sometimes it will do it multiple times in a row.

(2)This problem has happened three or four times since i owned the jeep but in the past week it has done it everytime i drive it. The jeep will start to die upon low throttle and around 20-30mph. It has gotten so bad that i will have to pull off to the side of the road (because i cant get it to speed up), through it in neutral and rev it up after that it is fine and when i put it in nuetral it has a rough idle but again after i rev it up it will smooth out. Sometime it will do it again later on during the day and sometimes it wont. Before this problem started to get as bad as it is right now, after i drove the jeep and put it in park it would idle at about 1200rpm. Which is about 4-500rpm higher than it usually would. It hasnt done this since problem two began though. Also sometimes when i get to a stop light the engine will sometimes bog down to about 200rpm but then go back to normal. One thing i would like to mention is i did get a full tank off gas at a bp that i have never gotten gas at before and that seems to be when this started happening. So maybe its just the gas, im not sure.

(3) Not a big problem, i have the diagnostic procedure to figure this out but i figured i would put it on here anyway. My cruise control has always worked but this past month it will sometime set and sometimes it wont. Sometimes when it sets and i have to press the brake pedal and go to press resume, it wont work, sometimes it will work.lol I am pretty sure this is the brake switch but it may have something to do with problem #4.

(4) I was trying to find solutions to problem #2 and figured i would scan the computer with OBDII scanner. My check engine light wasnt on but i figured hey it wouldnt hurt. When i scanned it i came up with code P1683 Speed Control Power Relay or Speed Control 12volt Driver Circuit Open or Shorted. So ... what...? I may just be having an off day but i cant seem to find this relay i have looked every where. This problem may have something to do with problems 1, 2, and 3 lol idk.

So if you guys have had any of these problems or know how to fix it please list the problem number and reply.
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read this and thank everyone in advance for the replies. If you need anymore information please ask because i am sure i left out important info. My head is just completely spinning right now. I have other problems in my life i am trying to deal with right now and i am trying to figure these out

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Spend the Time and the Money the 1st Time, You'll End Up Doing it Anyway.
Airborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Change the brake switch for 1, 3, and 4. if you think you have bad fuel, Lucas works wonders.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Problem 1 was solved by a throttle position sensor on my 98. When my cruise quit and it was running rough, seafoam and a leaking vac line to the cruise modual solved those problems.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Alright, i think tomorrow i will diagnose the brake switch after work and maybe pick up some seafoam also use some starting fluid or something to check for a vacuum leak in the cruise vacuum lines. Lol badbird17x that was the first thing my dad said was replace the tps, so i may do that also. It wouldnt hurt.

Anybody else got anything?
Thanks guys i will keep you updated.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L : 172,xxx miles, IRO 3.5" F>R lift, IRO Adjustable Control Arms, IRO Adjustable Track Bars, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority on Cragar V5's, Pavement Pounder until I get out of college :( ...Built Not Bought #650
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
MoparCharlie
1995 ZJ 

1,3, I'd say brake switch without a doubt...
#2 is what I'd worry about...It has the symptoms of a torque converter that is not releasing...Low trans fluid, or low pressure, could also cause this trans issue......Have you replaced the TCC solenoid and pressure switch in the valve body yet.....Also suspect......
MoparCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

i know the fluid is fine and no i havent done anything with the pressure switch or torque converter clutch solenoid. I was thinking about the torque converter not releasing also on #2. Just was hoping for an easier fix. lol
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The first vac line that went on my 5.2 was the 90 on the front of the throttle body.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Ya im gonna go through them all and listen carefully for change in idle. Thanks for that input
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Some of the idle problems you describe are classic idle air control valve/motor, search this site to learn how to clean & diagnose yours. If that's the case your idle symptoms aren't linked to the other driveability issues. Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I would change the brake switch and go from there.

The variations in RPM could be caused by a vacuum leak or IAC as the other guys said, but mine was acting similar when the cat was restricted. The valves were not seating, the vacuum dropped in the intake because exhaust pressure was building up in the intake through the leaky valves.

Before it started with the variations did you notice any performance problems? Is your exhaust manifold cracked?
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Well today i couldnt drive it to work because i cant even get it up to 20mph. It seems like it isnt getting enough fuel or its getting too much air. It will idle somewhat fine but once i get it up to about 7mph, it just doesnt want to go anywhere. Like i said it seems like it isnt getting enough fuel or getting too much air BUT i just tried to drive it about 5 min ago and it was doing the same thing but it backfired up into the throttle body.
I bought my brake switch and throttle position sensor so i will get those on. Also i am going to clean the IAC again and clean the mass airflow sensor. I will see what this does. I dont know if i will be able to get to it today.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Don't believe you have a maf. My 98 is a speed density system.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

OP, just for giggles swap the fuel pump relay with the horn relay and see if that helps. It may be pulling high current across the contacts. Takes 2 minutes.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

What's that thing that's connected to the throttle body right before the filter? Haven't had it off in a while, I just assumed it was maf.
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Airborn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
OP, just for giggles swap the fuel pump relay with the horn relay and see if that helps. It may be pulling high current across the contacts. Takes 2 minutes.
Lol, why didn't I think of that, ill try that tomorrow also. I still need to do more research on the iac. I'm in town right now but that's what my heart is saying it is for problem #2. Maybe its stuck open or something and allowing me to just suck air. Ah man I hate leaving things incomplete. I just had to go into town today lol.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.